Anti-virus app: worthwhile? If so which one?

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
No anti virus on my phones.. Norton 360 multi device is what I use on PCs and it has mobile option which I don't use..

S6E+ tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
No anti virus on my phones.. Norton 360 multi device is what I use on PCs and it has mobile option which I don't use..

S6E+ tapatalk
Noton 360 has missed a bunch of virii in the past for me on my PC Avast or AVG only now. Zero AV on my phone. No need.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Norton is such a resource hog too, or at least is was in the past. Haven't messed with it for year. I personally use AVG on PC. Like others, I don't really worry about anything on my phone. I've tried some here and there over the years, but as long as you're smart about where you download things from and etc, I don't see a need for it on the phone.

The exploits that we hear about sometimes, AV isn't going to protect you from most of those, so it's really only necessary if you're downloading apps and things from shady sources, in which case, better advice would be to stop doing that than to install AV software.

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
+ 1 for AVG on PC.
I use Lookout & MalwareBytes on my phone, which as others pointed out isn't really necessary. But, with smartphones becoming the device most people use to go online with these days, hackers have been stepping up their game in the mobile arena. I'd rather at least try be proactive since I rarely use my laptop anymore. That said, educate yourself and take the necessary precautions and you shouldn't have a problem.

S5 tap'n

Rachael Alice

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Lenovo vibe k6
AVG is the best antivirus app because it's most recommended antivirus app and i personally use it i my phone.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
though the thread itself is almost two years old, some of the info is still valid. IMO, at this point, an antivirus is still not needed unless you download and install apps from third party websites.

One thing to remember, viruses and malware are two completely different type of bugs. Most issues that you might find on phones are malware and cannot be fixed by antivirus software. It is like on your pc. you may run some antivirus but you better run a companion utility to look for malware. for example, windows defender (anti-virus) and malwarebytes (anti-malware). I see all the time people are getting mad at their ant-virus when they get infected and blame their anti-virus software when it was really malware and it needed anti-malware to stop the problem. anyway getting off track.

whatever you do and use, one thing for sure, you better keep a regular backup of your phone so you won't lose any pictures and documents if the worse should happen.

jesy grace

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto G3
There are many antivirus apps available in store for android, some best apps are avast, avg, norton, itianz antivirus 360, kaspersky and mcafee.

lynxster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
sm-n910v note 4
I called Samsung once I was told androids don't get viruses....your call...I know they do...ahnlab v3...not free w a few adds
dr.web lite it's completely free it scans inside zip and apk archive unless it's password protected. .my phone came w McAfee. .but I still put on and take off as needed Dr web lite