Antenna & Sim card issues with brandy new Razr M...an FYI!!

SunnyDays

Reaction score
I bought my Razr M exactly 8 days ago, was a huge upgrade from a Blackberry Storm and am really loving the Droid software. However by Friday I realized the darn thing was losing a charge really quickly, whether I used it or not. Made sure there was not a lot of apps running, then researched shutting off the 4G thinking that maybe it was switching back and forth and draining the battery. Incidentally I do not and will not use a task killer. So I downloaded the LTE onoff app to try to lock the phone in 3g (and hopefully not drain the battery), but it didn't seem to make any difference so I un-installed it. At this point, the phone decided to stop allowing any type of phone call, although it would text (but tell me that the text wasn't going through when it was). It still hooked up to wifi just fine. I backed up everything and reset it back to factory settings 3 times in an effort to fix the issue, with no luck. So since I was within my 14 days, yesterday took it back to Verizon. They thought at first that it was a bad sim card (FYI apparently there was bad batch issued within the last couple weeks). Turns out it was the antenna, the new sim card could not fix it. They swapped out the phone, this new one the battery hardly drains at all.

I am thinking this was an issue from day 1, and I just didn't realize it since I'm coming from such an antiquated phone to begin with. What was weird about the first phone was that from the beginning it would only dial out or receive calls if the reception bars were blue, not white. I made a bad assumption thinking that that was just how the phone operated. With the new phone I now know it was a horrible assumption, and that the phone should still dial out as long as there is bars and whether or not they are blue or white or it says 3g or 4g.

So...for all you having ANY reception or battery draining issues at all...swap it out at the store if you are within your 14 days!!! I'd bet a lot of money that my phone was not the only one with this issue. I still love the phone, it's awsum and totally fits what I needed! Just didn't need a faulty phone. I was happy I spent so much time during the first week using the phone and getting accustomed to it...I'd advise any one else getting the M to do the same.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Curious, did you use the hotspot at all? Will comment more in a bit.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Caesars

Reaction score
Glad you swapped it out early, I'd hate for your first Droid experience to be in the refurb cycle.

Return of the Android

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thanks sunnydays for this info. I have heard a few complaints about this exact issue. It is helpful to be able to direct them to the right solution. So far so good with mine...phew.

OP
S

SunnyDays

Reaction score
Curious, did you use the hotspot at all? Will comment more in a bit.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Nope..didnt/haven't tried the hotspot at all on either phone. I do have to say that with the new phone leaving it on overnight it only dropped 12% on the battery, which is way more normal than the first phone totally dying at night if I didn't plug it in. So happy I traded it in!