Another "which phone?" question

Discussion in 'Android Smart Phones' started by dbronstein, Jul 7, 2014.

1. dbronstein

dbronstein Member

I'm looking to upgrade my son's phone. He has another year left on his contract so I'm looking for something used, preferable under $100. I'd love to get him an S3 but they are a little too much. The Razr and its various models seem to be priced pretty well. Are there other phones to consider? I'd like a bigger screen (4.3" or higher).
  2. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

The Razr phones were good devices at the time. In terms of how they hold up now I'm not sure. I do have a few friends with the s3 still and they run pretty well considering the age of the phone, so I would imagine Razr phones from the same generation would run as well.

Checked my local craigslist ad and also Swappa, seems a good s3 can be had for about $120-$140. If you're aiming for the s3, it only breaks the budget just a bit. However, the Razr would also be a good choice if it falls within your budget more.
    cr6 likes this.
  3. lloydstrans

lloydstrans Well-Known Member

Another thing to consider in purchasing an used phone is the battery. A sealed battery is just that, more pricey than a user serviceable battery. Life of the battery deteriorates over time. You could wind up purchasing a phone that the battery only lasts 4 hours or so.
    cr6 likes this.
  4. dbronstein

dbronstein Member

Thanks for the replies. I ended up getting him an S3 thanks to some generous trade-in offers on Amazaon. I had two Stratospheres that we were no longer using after my wife and I upgraded last year, and for some reason Amazon gave us $41 each for them. And they gave us $20 on trade for my son's Intensity 3. I got a refurbed S3 off Amazon for $160, so it was a net cost of about $60.
  5. Jeffrey

Jeffrey DF Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Good deal. I'm sure your son will be happy with the S3
  6. Divergent

Divergent Active Member

Look for chinese phones on sites like lenteen.com and lightinthebox.com

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk