another upgrade scenario.. help please

mooseroach

Reaction score
so like everyone else, I need to upgrade by 6/28. I currently have a droid 2 global. The phone I really want is the razr hd whenever it comes out, be it 1 month or 3 months or whatever. If there was a new high end HTC out that would be great too, but after reading forums, I do not trust the Samsung radios / signal. I make a lot of important calls so need this to be a phone first.

Does anyone know if this scenario will work without any hiccups since I'm moving from 3g to 4g?
- use upgrade on sg3
- never activate or even open sg3, sell on ebay or swappa
- continue using my droid 2 until razr hd comes out
- buy razr hd at full price and activate

Think this would work without any issues? Just worried if there would be a problem when I went to activate the 4g phone from being on 3g after the new upgrade contract was signed. My other other option is getting a maxx or rezound, which are so old at this point and will be outdated shortly by new models. Maybe I'm being paranoid about Samsung radios, but I even remember the fascinate having gps issues when I was researching it vs the droid 2.

thanks in advance for any help!

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
You're going to have to activate it for a short time on your line. After that you can deactivate it, and go back to your D2.

In fact you can do all of this without peeling anything off, and keeping the phone is fine condition.

OP
M

mooseroach

Reaction score
You're going to have to activate it for a short time on your line. After that you can deactivate it, and go back to your D2.

In fact you can do all of this without peeling anything off, and keeping the phone is fine condition.

short time being a week, month? :biggrin:just wondering, this sounds what i would probably do

mysticalmalissa

Reaction score
I thinking of using my last upgrade for another Razr Maxx and trying to trade it for the sg3. I'm guessing some folks wont be happy with the battery life on the sg3 and I will have a brand new maxx waiting just for them. :p

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
mooseroach said:
short time being a week, month? :biggrin:just wondering, this sounds what i would probably do

A few minutes.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

OP
M

mooseroach

Reaction score
I stopped by verizon and I can get a maxx for $145 (incl upgrade fee + taxes) or just go with the sg3 normal contract price (245 for 16gb, 300 for 32gb with upgrade fee + taxes) because they will give me $100 for switching from 3g to a current 4g phone. I was thinking of getting a maxx and flipping that instead.

which do you think would generate more profit toward a razr hd?

Beka27

Reaction score
I stopped by verizon and I can get a maxx for $145 (incl upgrade fee + taxes) or just go with the sg3 normal contract price (245 for 16gb, 300 for 32gb with upgrade fee + taxes) because they will give me $100 for switching from 3g to a current 4g phone. I was thinking of getting a maxx and flipping that instead.

It's hard to say. A lot of people are planning on "flipping" GS3s... So the market might be inundated and you'll have to try to undercut the competition, or it might be sitting for awhile. The OG R Maxx on the other hand has been out for awhile, so those folks may be trying to sell a bunch of those to get the GS3 or the Maxx HD... It may be a toss-up.

OP
M

mooseroach

Reaction score
Picked up a maxx for 100. May not even be woth spending 400 or so on the hd, enjoying it alot so far!

Jmoore1701

Reaction score

Can you tell me a few details about this $100 discount?
I know that VZW is currently offering a $100 discount on Motorola 4G smartphones (their "Dads and Grads" sale). Is that what they offered you? But that wouldn't apply to the Samsung Galaxy.
Or something different? Was it a discount just for upgrading from 3G to 4G? I've got the 3G Droid X, so I'd love it if I could get that discount on the Galaxy.
I've seen posts before from folks who mentioned this "3G to 4G" discount, but when I ask at my Verizon store, they've never heard of it (I know, I know, "Verizonistas" are woefully undeducated!).
So I'm trying to find out if this is regional or nationwide, or what?

OP
M

mooseroach

Reaction score
Can you tell me a few details about this $100 discount?
I know that VZW is currently offering a $100 discount on Motorola 4G smartphones (their "Dads and Grads" sale). Is that what they offered you? But that wouldn't apply to the Samsung Galaxy.
Or something different? Was it a discount just for upgrading from 3G to 4G? I've got the 3G Droid X, so I'd love it if I could get that discount on the Galaxy.
I've seen posts before from folks who mentioned this "3G to 4G" discount, but when I ask at my Verizon store, they've never heard of it (I know, I know, "Verizonistas" are woefully undeducated!).
So I'm trying to find out if this is regional or nationwide, or what?

The extra 100 was from switching from 3g to 4g in addition to using alot of data. I read that they gave the discount from doing this on another forum so i left my phone streaming music all day until i reaches over 2gb used. Normally i average around a gig. You may or may not get the discount, but its worth a try... i walked in and asked if i had any discounts, one verizon store said no and the other gave me 100 off. These stores were within 2miles of eachother..

OP
M

mooseroach

Reaction score
I was also told that the discount was for any 4g phone, asked if i could use it for the sg3 and was denied by the store as well as by verizon over the phone. Could have gotten a nexus, rezound, etc

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
mooseroach said:

What is this $100 for going over to a LTE device. Like if I wanted a D4 for $99 I could get it for free assuming I was going 3G to 4G?

Jmoore1701

Reaction score
The extra 100 was from switching from 3g to 4g in addition to using alot of data. I read that they gave the discount from doing this on another forum so i left my phone streaming music all day until i reaches over 2gb used. Normally i average around a gig. You may or may not get the discount, but its worth a try... i walked in and asked if i had any discounts, one verizon store said no and the other gave me 100 off. These stores were within 2miles of eachother..

Hmmm...interesting strategy. And so: to the YouTubes!

OP
M

mooseroach

Reaction score
What is this $100 for going over to a LTE device. Like if I wanted a D4 for $99 I could get it for free assuming I was going 3G to 4G?

I assume it would be free, I didn't ask because I was only interested in the sg3 or maxx. My total came to 156.21 after upgrade fee, taxes, and a silicone case. would just need to pay upgrade fee and possibly tax with a standard razr? not sure how that would work. I'm not sure how the discount works for sure because one store said I had the discount and the other did not. The stores are .9 miles, 3 mins from eachother in google maps. Maybe 1 is just a reseller? Bought mine from the huge corporate store

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I assume it would be free, I didn't ask because I was only interested in the sg3 or maxx. My total came to 156.21 after upgrade fee, taxes, and a silicone case. would just need to pay upgrade fee and possibly tax with a standard razr? not sure how that would work. I'm not sure how the discount works for sure because one store said I had the discount and the other did not. The stores are .9 miles, 3 mins from eachother in google maps. Maybe 1 is just a reseller? Bought mine from the huge corporate store

I think I'll give CS a ring. CSRs have way more power/knowledge of these "perks" then the stores do. Plus, they'd be able to note the account, so you could go into the store and take care of it.

This could be what I've been looking for! We have 3 lines. One (the primary) can upgrade @ 2 year, but only through vzw. The other two can do it in early sept. With the new data plans coming at the end of this month. I was in a pickle as what to do with them. The one would like a new phone, and the D4 or even Stratosphere would be great!

Hope I can get this deal + early 4G upgrades for the other two.