another task killer thread..

zachjones

Reaction score
i searched, but didn't find this one. maybe it's already been posted, if so i apologize.

but anyway i've used advanced task killer since i've had my phone and nothing ever FC'd, maybe like 1 thing every so often but it was kind of rare.
then i read about how they aren't needed so i uninstalled, and bam. my messaging FC'd twice in one day, and just about everything started to FC A LOT more.
anyone with some input as to why?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
ATK causes more problems than it can solve. There is another conflict somewhere with the apps and/or settings you have. Most people have far LESS problems once they remove ATK and let the OS run as it's designed.

MaxBobcat

Reaction score
I want to let the OS run as designed...but sometimes it just seems like ATK works when the OS messes up.

For example...sometimes I let Google Listen stream a long podcast as I fall asleep in bed. When I wake up 6 or 7 hours later there is the google Listen icon in my notification bar and the only way I can close it is by going to ATK or by going to the setting > applications > whatever way.

ATK helps me a lot in situations like this.

Sleeve

Reaction score
you can't pull open the notification panel, touch the notification for Listen, and get listen to open so you can stop it? That would be a defect in Listen's notification feature rather than a need for a back seat driver doing memory management on top of the OS.

FC without ATK just means a combination of apps that FC and ATK is causing them to quit before they get to the problem that causes the FC. An FC is not a BSOD, either, it's not like omfg I need to reboot now. It's just a fancier form of later, dude. I blame the apps and unless it causes me some actual inability to use something, I point and laugh at FCs and move on. I'm yet to have an FC that has caused me to restart.

We're going to occasionally get apps that FC. With a market that doesn't have a long queue and review process, there are some devs that churn updates multiple times per week. For that type of dev, we're their beta testers. Stuff will FC because the dev culture and market willingness allows devs to hack at their code.

IMNSHO, you're not gaining anything by preventing FCs. Think about the items in your refrigerator. You've got leftovers from 7 days ago in a plastic bag and you just brought home and put away some new stuff from the market. You open the fridge tomorrow and you decide the smell from the old stuff needs to go. Do you throw out all the new stuff? Do you empty your refrigerator and reload it with new food? No, you throw out the one thing. That's an FC. The analogy even fits in a deeply technical sense. Every app is inside its own plastic bag. If you throw the smelly food away, the shelf that was under the food is unharmed. The OS under the app is unharmed.