Another stupid noob question...

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by Stacy A, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Stacy A

Stacy A New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Okay... I have been doing all the homework and have watched the videos on another site (don't know if mentioning them here will get me banned) but I have one last question before rooting my droid. Once I have flashed SPRecovery to my phone, do I absolutely have to install ESE81.zip in order to be able to get BBV0.4 or Pete's new completely virgin stock Froyo? Or, can I simply install BB0.4 from there?

Thanks for any help you can give,
    Stacy A

2. BasilofBakerStreet

BasilofBakerStreet Member

Ratings:
    +1
    You should be able to go straight to froyo. Don't forget to update the baseband.

3. Stacy A

Stacy A New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick reply Basil. One question about updating the baseband: I have great reception pretty much everywhere I go... Do I have to update the baseband? I've heard some complain they get bad signal strength after updating.

4. BasilofBakerStreet

Ratings:
    +1
    You don't have to. If it isn't broke don't fix it. If you are useing ROM Manager you can try it and if it doesn't make a difference/makes it worse, then flash back. It helped me.

I'm sure you have read this but always make sure you have a backup. It will save a lot of hastle.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  5. Stacy A

Stacy A New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep. I made a backup with MyBackup earlier this morning. Thanks again, man.

Stacy A

6. BasilofBakerStreet

Ratings:
    +1
    No problem. Welcome to the addiction!

7. Stacy A

Stacy A New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, we've got BBV0.4 installed. It looks like it's going to market and getting all my apps I had pre-root. I can't wait to see what Quantum says in the benchmark, and to get my settings back like I had them. I really only wanted to root just for the overclocking. I had my phone set up exactly how I wanted it, now I have to go back and re-do all that. But it will be fun. This place is great.

Stacy A

8. forkup

forkup Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think he meant a nandroid backup.

9. Stacy A

Stacy A New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Okay.... still learning. I used My Backup from the market to create a backup of my apps and data. I assumed that took the place of a "nandroid" backup. If not, please feel free to school me.

10. BasilofBakerStreet

Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry I meant nandroid. It will completely save everything. Even your settings. I not sure but I believe you can't save that coming from stock. Anyway If you reboot into recovery and go to nandroid then backup and select every thing it will make a complete restore point.

If you are useing ROM Manager it is in the first menu. scroll down and select Backup current ROM. There is a free version in the market. If you don't use it for flashing Roms then you can at least use it to backup.

I have never used My Backup so I'm not sure what it saves. But after you get your phone set like you want it make a nandroid back up. That way if you decide to change something (e.g. theme, Rom, change kernels, or change something that requires root) you can come back before it changed should it mess up or you don't like it.