1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Another Rooted 2.1 Update Question

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Dr01d, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Dr01d

Dr01d New Member

Hi,

I have been running the latest Smoked Glass rom for about three weeks. I have never seen a popup asking me to install 2.1. If I check System Updates it does say that I can download 2.1 and install it though.

I have been concerned about 2.1 downloading continuously in the background. I have downloaded the update and rebooted in an attempt to get SPRecovery to block the update, hopefully tricking the phone into believing it's now current but that did not work. I also downloaded the otacert.zip file and placed it into the proper folder. I did this three ways. Once renaming it with the .bak extention and including it with the current file, once removing the default file completely and leaving the new file with the original .zip extension only, and once renaming the original file with the .bak extension.

In all cases I then proceeded to download the update and reboot my phone. It never booted into recovery to try to install the update and I still see the update available in my System Updates button.

To be clear. I do NOT want the 2.1 update to succeed. I simply want my phone to say it id currently up to date so that I can be sure 2.1 is not trying to download in the background.

Maybe I shouldn't worry about it? I can really tell if the battery life is shortened because my phone stays plugged in almost all day in a car dock at work. Just yesterday though I began to wonder as I had it out for about an hour and saw an unexpected drop in battery life. I dismissed it as a fluke and haven't bothered to try to recreate the issue.

Is there a way to get my phone to think it's up to date just in case?
  2. Dr01d

Dr01d New Member

OK, I can definitely confirm that 2.1 is downloading over and over in the background. I have literally caught it twice this morning. At no point am I prompted to accept the update or try to install it. Checking the phones update tab it now says "requires restart" or I have the option to choose download manually and re-doenload the update. Manually restarting the phone jjust reboots it normally and the update tab still says "requires restart". The otacert.zip is in place and does not have any .bak behind it.

Any help would be welcome. Ill continue to check the other threads as well to see if anyone else has run onto this.

Thanks for any help.
  3. jstafford1

jstafford1 Super Moderator

Do you have a nandroid backup of your current ROM?
  4. korp

korp New Member

I think its just downloading it but not installing it. When I installed the official ota so I could take it in and get it replaced at Verizon, I had to click the install button even though it had downloaded.

We should be getting some root access soon enough for the official though.
  5. Dr01d

Dr01d New Member

I do but I made it only yesterday so idk if flashing it will help or not. I also have some older ones but I'm not sure which ones to try. Yesterday was the first time I was smart enough to manually type the date into the backups title. All my other backups have a long string of charcters as the title,perhaps the date is in there somewhere though?
  6. Pagaldesi4life

Pagaldesi4life New Member

i too have the same rom running and noticed i have the option to update to 2.1. how do you know your phone was downloading the update Dr01d?
  7. Dr01d

Dr01d New Member

I simply noticed my 3G active so I jumped to Settings>About Phone>System Updates and you can see the update downloading asit happened. This occurred multiple times throughout the day.

I did find the solution in this thread. The permissions needed to be altered on my otacert.zip to prompt me to update. SPRecovery then blocked the update and my phone now says "Up to Date". :yahoo:
  8. papy72

papy72 New Member

Nice find Dr01d.
Search tags for this page

android otacert.zip