Another Root trick for Win7

randytho

Reaction score
I don't think it's the drivers at all

Weird - I never downloaded those drivers. I canceled out like the video and mine worked.
I wonder how many hours I could've saved myself:laugh:

I think the drivers that are installed when you run the HTC Sync program as directed by the video work just as good as the drivers you can download via the sdk, maybe better.

I don't think it's the drivers at all, I think it's how windows SEES the phone in recovery. If you notice with either of the drivers it shows abd bootloader in the devices..it's just that when you switch to recovery it loses the bootloader driver and goes directly to mass storage. We need an app that connects to the phone ONLY with bootloader....

Randy T.

Serialkilla

Reaction score
My 2 cents - I couldn't get root no matter how much I tried - tried every trick,every variation of every process,for 3 days. When I saw the post about deleting the usbstor.sys file - I tried that,on regular windows xp,service pack 2, and redid the 10 min. video process,along with the popping out sd card,and back in just before recovery mode,and it worked 1st try.
That being said, I think the drivers may have something to do with it - nothing worked for me until I deleted that file....

OP
shamus

shamus

Reaction score
My 2 cents - I couldn't get root no matter how much I tried - tried every trick,every variation of every process,for 3 days. When I saw the post about deleting the usbstor.sys file - I tried that,on regular windows xp,service pack 2, and redid the 10 min. video process,along with the popping out sd card,and back in just before recovery mode,and it worked 1st try.
That being said, I think the drivers may have something to do with it - nothing worked for me until I deleted that file....

I'm glad to hear it worked for you:)

randytho

Reaction score

Shamus have you been able to repeat it? I have not...it's ok I did everything I wanted to do when I was in root the first time...just can't get back in now :p

OP
shamus

shamus

Reaction score
I was able to get it three times. But definitely not in a row.
The first time was after I first read about the SD pop in trick.
The second time was right after deleting the USBSTOR.sys
The third time was a fluke and just kinda happened.

My Incredible has to go back this weekend, though. So I figured it was time to stop popping the case on and off.

randytho

Reaction score
Go back?

My Incredible has to go back this weekend, though. So I figured it was time to stop popping the case on and off.

What it was rented? grin

Randy T.

Serialkilla

Reaction score

Thanks! Me too, because I was at the point of smashing the thing against the concrete! :icon_eek:

OP
shamus

shamus

Reaction score

What it was rented? grin

Randy T.

No I paid full retail for it but I'm waiting for the MotoX.
The Inc is a great phone but I never intended to keep it.
I just wanted something new and shiny to hold me over.

On a side note, finding a used Droid isn't as easy as I thought it would be.

randytho

Reaction score
Sorry I just passed out...

What it was rented? grin

Randy T.

Sorry I didn't reply quicker I had a hallucination then passed out...I thought someone said "Paid FULL RETAIL"...... nightmares at this time of day for me...how unusual... grin

Randy T.

givmedew

Reaction score
Yeah I know:laugh:
that's kinda mean they cant resell those phones and i believe the reps get dinged actual money on returns like as in more than they get paid on the sales not that they make any money on full retail so its even worse with it being returned. Guess people never think about what it does to anyone except themselves.

osvaldo

Reaction score
after pulling some hair out i've come up with this procedure and it is 3 for 3 so far with win7 users having problem getting into an adb shell.

Navigate to c>windows>system32>drivers
look for a file called usbstor.sys
you need to delete this file. If you need helping with permissions, let me know. I don't know how much you know about windows.
After deleting this file turn the phone off and boot into recovery.
Connect and 'click out' the sd card.
In cmd prompt run the loop file.
Click the power button and wait 10 seconds.
Volume down then power button....
Just after the white htc screen you will hear your computer beep for an un-detect presumably for the sd click the sd back in as soon as you hear that sound. My win7 realized the old drivers were no longer there and decided to use the ones we need.

After this process just follow the 'root in 10 minutes' video that mejdam posted and you should be good.

Let me know how it goes. Oh and worse case, if you're concerned with deleting system files, windows will re-find it after we're done.
do i have to save anything on my sdcard before i do anything because i cant get adb shell to come up on my phone please help

sdorn

Reaction score

What it was rented? grin

Randy T.

I have two of them. Need to list them on eBay while they are still going for decent money before the Moto X comes out.

randytho

Reaction score
You bought two????

What it was rented? grin

Randy T.

I have two of them. Need to list them on eBay while they are still going for decent money before the Moto X comes out.
You bought two of them? Ok now I need some excedrin migraine...two at full price...**plop**

Randy T.

osvaldo

Reaction score
can anyone help i am trying to root the incredible i cant get in adb shell do i have to save anything in my sdcard before i do anything