Another reason to never buy a phone from Verizon

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
OK so I got his offer from verizon for 50% off the moto z....

Get 50% off
a Moto Z Droid
for as low as $13/mo.

Verizon exclusive, the only phones
that work with Moto Mods™.

Buy now

No trade-in req’d.*

Let’s get you started.

Want it today?

Order online and pick up at
a Verizon Wireless store for
no additional charge

Call 866.396.3999

Locate a store

Oh wait there is very small writing in the bottom of the email.....

*$624 device payment purchase req’d. Less $312 bill credit applied over 24 mos.; credit starts w/in 2–3 cycles & ends when balance paid or line transferred/terminated; 0% APR.
Activation/upgrade fee/line: $30. IMPORTANT CONSUMER INFORMATION: Subject to VZW Agmts., Calling Plan & credit approval. Offers & coverage, varying by svc., not available everywhere; see vzw.com. While supplies last. Restocking fee may apply. In MA & NV: Sales tax based on higher of device price or VZW’s cost. In CA: Sales tax based on full price of device.
DROID is a trademark of Lucasfilm Ltd. and its related companies. Used under license.
© 2017 Verizon Wireless

So let me get this straight VZW will charge me full price for the phone then slowly give me back the other 50 % over 24 months.... I call BS even better yet I call shenanigans on VZW!

If you are going to sell a phone for 50% off give the 50% off up front !!

5lurl4.jpg

grunt0300

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6
I fell into a different form of the "Verizon Trap". I let them buy me out of my expensive AT&T contract, and i have been saving money, but at the expense of lousy phone service, and poor customer service. I never should have gone over to a CDMA carrier. My next move will be to T-Mobile(i hope that i won't regret it).:rolleyes:

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
So let me get this straight VZW will charge me full price for the phone then slowly give me back the other 50 % over 24 months.... I call BS even better yet I call shenanigans on VZW!

If you are going to sell a phone for 50% off give the 50% off up front !!

I hate to break it to you, but that's how AT&T and Sprint do it as well. Just be glad you're getting the option. If you don't like it, don't go with it, or the carrier.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Eh. Shady marketing, but it's more like a rebate than an discount. Either way, you get a great phone for a great price if you can afford the payments each month.

R

RETG

Your monthly bill will show a charge for $26.00 and then toward the bottom there will be a credit for $12.00.

I signed a similar agreement for a Z Force last January. Price of phone was $720, and the half off was spread out over 24 months. So my bill has a payment of $30.00 each month, with a $15.00 credit which equals $15.00 a month for the phone. First two months, I did not receive a credit for the $15; however, the third billing had a credit for $45.00 (the two first months plus the third month credit); and from then on a $15 credit each month. Important thing is, after two years, the price of the phone was $360 vs. $720 for full price.

They would not allow me to purchase the phone outright for $360, since they wanted to keep me for two years. If I leave earlier or pay off the phone earlier, I pay the full amount owed, which at half way through the contract it would be $360. It's Verizon's way of keeping you for two years, without actually entering into a contract for two years service like they used to do.

In my case, due to where I live and travel, the only other alternative to Verizon for phone service is a satellite phone. (Plus I get a pretty darn good discount being a retired Fed.):D

grunt0300

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6
Big Magenta is much better than Verizon. I'm glad that i switched.:p

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
Exactly what they did on the Note 8. I called to complain because I had planned to pay it off the first month and have a much lower phone bill. Nope if you pay it off early you lose the half off!. You wind up getting it for the advertised price only if you stay with them for 24 months. Nice gotcha. I understand it but hate the deception.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I switched to AT&T about a year ago from being a LONG time Verizon user. I'm actually rather happy with them.

Long story short the account I "took over" had a buy 1 get one free on a pair of S7's. Same deal you can't pay one off early because you'll owe the balance on the 2nd one. What they do is give you a monthly credit on the 2nd phone. Kind of "shady" but it's what they have to do to ensure they make the money on the service.

T mobile just came to our area I want to check them out. Verizon and AT&T have GREAT coverage here.. I'm curious as to how good T mobile actually is.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I switched to AT&T about a year ago from being a LONG time Verizon user. I'm actually rather happy with them.

Long story short the account I "took over" had a buy 1 get one free on a pair of S7's. Same deal you can't pay one off early because you'll owe the balance on the 2nd one. What they do is give you a monthly credit on the 2nd phone. Kind of "shady" but it's what they have to do to ensure they make the money on the service.

T mobile just came to our area I want to check them out. Verizon and AT&T have GREAT coverage here.. I'm curious as to how good T mobile actually is.

if you are interested in t mobile, it would be best to check with others in your area. in my area, the signal is worthless if you want to talk indoors. they have some great plans but as long as the signal is bad, I will be sticking with at$t

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
This is why I bought our last 3 phones from Best Buy. Received $400 discount on the Note8 most recently, that is basically a deposit they give you towards the full price. After the first 30 days or so just go into Verizon and pay it off if you want.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
if you are interested in t mobile, it would be best to check with others in your area. in my area, the signal is worthless if you want to talk indoors. they have some great plans but as long as the signal is bad, I will be sticking with at$t
I'm pretty hesitant. Seems like Metro PCS uses the same towers and a buddy had them for a week and left.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think the point the OP was making is - Shady business practice. Does it matter that "other" shady company's do it Too?
So, if every night club on the strip condones inappropriate touching of patrons .... then it's ok?
Verizon resorts to this type of trickery because - they can. Doesn't make it a positive customer experience, do you really think long time customers say, "Oh! You buggers, Ya' got me....good one" No.
Customers (like me) are naive enough sometimes to think a really great offer just might be extended as a Thank You for years and years of loyalty. Those days are long gone.
Now it's - Buyer Beware. Even longtime customer buyers Beware (especially).

Beware Verizon. Sears thought they were invincible too.