Another One on the Fence

06M6TorridGTO

Reaction score
Personally, I couldn't see the point in paying full price for a phone. I would look up used, older phones for much cheaper to pass the time until May. That's only 6 months longer. Unless you really want ICS, 4G, more memory, HD screen, etc., I would go with something a year old. I'm too cheap to spend $600+ on a phone. Just my opinion lol

OP
Lakilaulea

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
Personally, I couldn't see the point in paying full price for a phone. I would look up used, older phones for much cheaper to pass the time until May. That's only 6 months longer. Unless you really want ICS, 4G, more memory, HD screen, etc., I would go with something a year old. I'm too cheap to spend $600+ on a phone. Just my opinion lol

That's exactly why I want the phone. I do really want ICS, 4G, and an HD screen. If I'm gonna go with a phone a year old, I might as well stick with my year old Bionic. I don't mind paying that kind of money for a phone if it'll be worth it, hence my questions. I was sorely wrong about the Bionic and don't wanna be wrong again. I'll just think of it as a Christmas present to myself.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Bionic has ics and 4g. Pay $600 for hd screen and faster processor is a waste. I'd rather buy extended battery for bionic and wait till May. Ics is garbage, get phone with jelly bean if you are spending $600.

OP
Lakilaulea

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
Bionic has ics and 4g. Pay $600 for hd screen and faster processor is a waste. I'd rather buy extended battery for bionic and wait till May. Ics is garbage, get phone with jelly bean if you are spending $600.

I don't wanna toss my Bionic because of its 4g and ICS. I wanna toss it because of everything else. I already have multiple batteries for it; I don't wanna waste any more money on batteries when it still hemorrhages power. And power isn't even the only issue I have with that phone. I posted earlier in this thread all my issues with it. One is that I can't even successfully download ICS. ICS isn't garbage; JB is a small incremental upgrade from ICS. ICS is a really solid update, just not the latest. And isn't the Maxx HD supposed to get JB real soon anyway? They already released it for the Razr M which means the HD can't be far behind, right?

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I would recommend this phone to anyone.. Solid solid IMO... It does everything right and that's running stock.. I call it a workhorse.. JB should be right around the corner to pump it up even more... Camera is not horrible although some will complain it's preference but not a deal breaker.. Screen and videos look sharp enough too . 32GB with expanded sd I'd take this over the DNA right now... Hands down... Solid in hand feel... Test drive it for 14 days if you don't like it it will cost you $35 (if you don't mind putting out the cash for 2 weeks in case you don't like).. $2.5 a day to test drive a phone... Great deal (lol)..

°BK's pure G-Nex°

06M6TorridGTO

Reaction score
That's exactly why I want the phone. I do really want ICS, 4G, and an HD screen. If I'm gonna go with a phone a year old, I might as well stick with my year old Bionic. I don't mind paying that kind of money for a phone if it'll be worth it, hence my questions. I was sorely wrong about the Bionic and don't wanna be wrong again. I'll just think of it as a Christmas present to myself.

I was under the impression that the Bionic was just a bad phone in general, as in broken and not working. slow, freezes a lot, breaks often, etc. In my mind, I kept thinking about the Incredible 2 since it was a great phone and you can get them for under $150 now. I just cant see 4G, ICS, or an HD screen worth anything more than $300, especially if you could wait and get it for that in 6 months. lol but again, thats just me. Obviously, if your Bionic is broken and NEED a phone, I would do it. I also cant see how the Bionic could possibly be that bad when it comes to battery. Even if you had one extra battery, I cant see it lasting less than a day, or even just work hours. My DI2 lasted me longer than a typical work day when using it. I did have to plug it in during the evening time but I also spend hours on my phone after work. And that was with no extra battery. Now again, this is just me and I'm just speaking from my own experience. I've never even owned a Bionic so I have no idea about it. But I would think, if you just had a typical battery pack, maybe a 3200+ mA one, that would easily get you through the day. You can even get a 10,000 mAh battery pack for just $50 on Amazon. Just my opinion. Please dont take any offense to it. :)

06M6TorridGTO

Reaction score
Another thought just came to mind. Why dont you just set up a new line for $9.99 a month. Yes you would be locked in for 24 months but thats only $240. You could even get a friend in on the deal and then they could use that line (and even pay you) lol but if you don't, just set up the new line (you would have to add data initially), then put you new phone on your line and a basic (non-data) phone on the other line (and then cancel the data). Seems to me like you would end up spending only $440 (240 for the plan and $200 for the phone) at most for your new phone. Also, this would prevent any problems of your data being changed on your line. However, if you are not unlimited, then it should be fine, even if you have 4 GB. Don't quote me on it but I dont think that they drop you down to 2 GB since you are already on a tiered plan. You either have to be tiered or on Share Everything, no unlimited. In my opinion, $440 with just a dummy line seems much better, plus you can always get a friend in on it, maybe one that is near the end of their contract and you just share a plan and save bunches!! Just a thought

Oh and I guess those prices would only apply to a family plan lol Not sure if you can just add lines to an individual plan or not or if it would cost you to get a family plan for the same price. I guess it all depends on what you are on now as to the most cost-effective method of getting a new Maxx HD

OP
Lakilaulea

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
I was under the impression that the Bionic was just a bad phone in general, as in broken and not working. slow, freezes a lot, breaks often, etc. In my mind, I kept thinking about the Incredible 2 since it was a great phone and you can get them for under $150 now. I just cant see 4G, ICS, or an HD screen worth anything more than $300, especially if you could wait and get it for that in 6 months. lol but again, thats just me. Obviously, if your Bionic is broken and NEED a phone, I would do it. I also cant see how the Bionic could possibly be that bad when it comes to battery. Even if you had one extra battery, I cant see it lasting less than a day, or even just work hours. My DI2 lasted me longer than a typical work day when using it. I did have to plug it in during the evening time but I also spend hours on my phone after work. And that was with no extra battery. Now again, this is just me and I'm just speaking from my own experience. I've never even owned a Bionic so I have no idea about it. But I would think, if you just had a typical battery pack, maybe a 3200+ mA one, that would easily get you through the day. You can even get a 10,000 mAh battery pack for just $50 on Amazon. Just my opinion. Please dont take any offense to it. :)

I don't know how it is for other Bionic owners... Maybe I got a lemon and didn't know it, but.... My battery won't last me through the work day at all. I don't even use it at work, as I'm not allowed to bring personal electronics into my building. I keep it in my car and have to turn data off in order for me to have enough juice for the ride home. If I leave data on, by the time I leave my office the battery icon is already orange. It's really frustrating. On the weekends I always carry a spare battery and portable charger in my purse, but a few months ago it decided it didn't wanna be charged any other way except for on its dock. I threw out several OEM cables because I thought it was the cables at first. It's not. It's this stupid phone. As an example, a couple months ago I went on a roadtrip from VA to NC and halfway into the ride, the battery started dying. I tried to charge it in the car with the OEM car charger and it wouldn't work. By the time I reached the hotel, my phone was completely dead. I left it on the charger overnight and NOTHING. Fortunately, I had my spare battery, but when that died the next day, I was basically without a phone for the rest of the weekend. It sucked. So now when I go someplace even overnight, I have to lug my docks with me. I'm not running any ROMs and don't even use live wallpapers anymore. Everytime I've tried to update it to ICS, it's failed. A user in these forums has always posted a workaround for previous updates, and I'm hoping he posts one for ICS so I can finally get it, but even when I do update it, it messes up all my settings for the first week. If I put it to sleep or turn it off, the next time I start it up, my widgets are all messed up and links are broken and I have to reset everything.... I swear my phone is possessed sometimes. No offense taken; I know the Bionic isn't the best phone as is, and I have a crappy one at that. There have been so many times I wanted to smash it against a wall. It won't save half the pictures I take... It'll save at first, but when I try to open it to look at it later, I get a file error message. I've lost so many good pics and videos that way. It freezes, it lags, it random reboots.... I really do wanna wait at least 6 months so I could get a better deal, but I hate having to put up with this phone everyday. I'm trying to be patient, but damn that Maxx HD looks good!

06M6TorridGTO

Reaction score
yeah it sounds like you have one messed up phone. I can't see how it could be that bad. I'm sure its just that one and that all of that is not typical of a Bionic. As for your battery, that is just ridiculous. There should be no reason for it to get that low after no use whatsoever, even with data off. I'm surprised you don't actually just leave it completely off. If you can, I would add a line to your phone to get the upgrade, or you could get a cheap one year old phone that doesnt have those problems for say under $100 and that would save you for those 6 months. I would recommend a Droid Incredible 2 only because I had one and they were cheap. Not 4G or ICS but I have seem a few on craigslist for $80-$100, and a bunch more listed around $125. I'm partial to it though since it was a good phone, other than the charging port breaking but thats probably from my own use of it while plugged in while on the phone for hours at a time. I haven't really looked at any other phone to offer other suggestions. I can tell you that I would not put up with that phone any longer but I just personally find it hard throwing away $600 for a phone now when it could be $200 in 6 months, plus maybe $100-$150 right now, or even just $200 now with the addition of a line.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
@op, go to Verizon and demand new phone. Tell them what you've told us and chances are you will get a newer phone free of charge.

Better yet, call Verizon.