Another NOOB! (I know, it's sad...)

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Titus Black, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Titus Black

Titus Black New Member

Okay I'm tired of being led like a dog on a leash waiting for Froyo to OTA for the Droid 1 :motdroidhoriz:! I want to Root my phone so I can get this! But I have several questions and I'm having trouble finding the answers in any one place or through searching for them...

1. I am running 2.1 ESE81 and I keep seeing that I need to downgrade to 2.0, is this still true?

2. I keep seeing this Root Manager app all over the place being mentioned, where is it, how do I use it, and should I use it?

3. I've recently purchased a theme for my phone (wasn't cheap but I really wanted it and it's a great theme either way!) and I don't want to loose it! If I root my phone, will I loose this theme or any of my other apps on my phone? I have a lot of torrented apps on there too and I really don't want to go through the hassle of downloading them again.

4. I see postings of an "instructional video" about rooting my phone on this and several other forums, where is this video and is it useful?

5. I understand the risks of this procedure and I'm aware that nobody but myself is to blame if this fails, but IF I do screw this up, is there a way to recover?

I'm fairly proficient with computers, having hacked my way through school (DOS) and earlier versions of Windows (up to XP), but when it comes to something that I can't just bulk format a hard drive, I get cautious. So any help would be great! Thanks!
  2. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

Hiya Titus....

I moved your thread to the appropriate area. You'll get some good help here.

Good luck!
  3. Titus Black

Titus Black New Member

Thanks

Thanks Cereal, I wasn't sure where it needed to be, but I figured somebody would make sure it was answered or at least moved to the right spot!
  4. fish1552

fish1552 Premium Member Premium Member

If you are good with installing Windows rooting using the manual method is easy. I used this video from Droid Life to root mine.
    How to: Root Android 2.1 and Install Android 2.2 on Motorola DROID | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

If you've downloaded the files for the theme, you should be able to save it over to your computer by USB (you might need to do it right after you get the USB drivers from Motorola if you can't do it now). But the files might even be saved on your SD card and not affected anyway. Anyone else confirm that is where themes are saved when unrooted? I know mine are saved in the download folder on mine.

As far as recovery, download all the files on that link above and you should be set in the event something goes wrong. A hard reset will fix things by doing a factory restore (sort of like booting into safe mode in Windows).

Rooting is much easier than you might expect. I was nervous at first, but surprised how easy it was when done. I wish I had done it earlier rather than waiting a month. :)

Also, as long as you sync with Google before rooting, everything should be saved there so you can get all your paid apps back. I haven't had a problem getting any myself, just delayed once. Had to wait 24 hours for the Market to refresh itself when 2.2 was new, but I got everything back.

Good Luck!
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  5. jesdroid

jesdroid New Member

quick question - with each flash, I've been reinstalling each app - is there an easier way? I have a ton of them downloaded!
  6. amajamar

amajamar New Member

If you flash a 2.2 ROM then your apps will reinstall themselves. I had the same concern, I was hesitant to flash 2.2 because I didn't want to wipe and go through the app setup process again. When I flashed a 2.2 ROM (BBv0.4) I was up and running with all my apps in about 30 minutes. One suggestion, get a good solid 3G signal with good download speed, and everything will come back lickety-split!
  7. jesdroid

jesdroid New Member

Wow, that's great! I've downloaded those apps so many times that I know almost all of them by memory! Thanks for your help!
  8. amajamar

amajamar New Member

My pleasure! I'm new to rooting and romming myself, glad to be able to contribute something to help. Let me know how you make out!
  9. fish1552

fish1552 Premium Member Premium Member

Also, ChevyNo1 included a custom script in his ROM SimplyStunning 4.6 that will do a complete apps & data backup/restore and have your home screen and settings all restored after wards. I think if you find the thread here in the forums, you can get the script and you should be able to run it no matter what ROM you have. (But don't quote me on that)
  10. Titus Black

Titus Black New Member

Thanks for the help guys! I rooted my phone to the FRG22 build, but then discovered it was extremely buggy! So I flashed back to stock using a post on here from "Sam" (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-help/37717-unroot-unbrick-using-sbf-post-ikithme.html) and now I have another problem... I want to bring my phone back to 2.1 stock, but I can't do a FOTA. I've been going into Menu -> Settings -> About Phone -> System Updates, but I keep getting "Your system is currently up to date." message. My phone says I am running Firmware Ver 2.0 Build ESD20. Before I rooted my phone I was running at 2.1 and now most of my apps are very buggy .... So what I'm trying to say is :excl: : HELP ME!!!!!!
  11. huskerkate

huskerkate Premium Member Premium Member

that video, and the instructions from this thread (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html) are what i used to root. read up on it, then read a few more times, watch the video a couple three times, and you should be good to go!! i only rooted about 3 weeks ago, and i can't believe i didn't do it sooner!!!

12. Titus Black

Titus Black New Member

I just wanted to repost this since I really need this question answered! Huskerkate answered my first posting and the reply but I have one more question: How to go back to 2.1 OTA?