Another noob here!

mrvash

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

My buddy has given me his old Motorola Droid (A855), I believe it's their first model in the Droid line. I've had plenty of smart phones before (iPhones, Black Berry, MetroPCS Huwei Ascend.) but this will be my first Android based phone. I haven't signed onto Verizon yet, but before I do I would like to update the phone to the latest OS available for the phone, and a lot of people are taking about 'Root' and ROM's and I have no idea what they're talking about. Can any one point me in the right direction to download the latest OS for the phone and help me Root and install ROM's on my phone? Thanks in advance and I'm glad to part of the Droid community! :)

S

SFGate

Welcome to the site. Make certain you research the rooting process thoroughly before starting. DancingNexus

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Hello and welcome to the forum!!

If you turn the phone and connect to a wifi point, you should be able to force the update by going into settings (hard menu key on the homescreen), scroll down to about phone (select) and then select updates or check for updates...

Once you are on the latest software (which I do not remember what was the last update for the D1 - something in Froyo tho I think) and then you can research root (which is gaining access to all of the phone's files - similar to admin rights on a PC vs guest priv's)...Rooting will not change how the phone runs in terms of speed or software. It is the further modification or tweaks that will do that - however, be cautious and as SFGate indicates definitely research as if you make a boo-boo, you may have an inoperable device (or brick) :)...Good luck!!

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Welcome to Droid Forums!! Make yourself at home :biggrin: