another newbie ?

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by tlh178, Feb 27, 2010.

1. tlh178

tlh178 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    k, my wife and i both have the vzw driod and are both clueless when it comes too techy stuff. she buys some new skins and with that, it comes with new wallpaper that matches the skins. they email us the wallpaper too our email. and have read several post on here on how too do it. i can see both on pc, wallpaper and our phone. but thats all i can figure out. can someone tell me in simple terms how too load these onto our phones. i like this site, and have read alot, but the bottom line is, i have no idea what it means, lmao, thanks for any input.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  2. Corinacakes

Corinacakes DF Super Moderator Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +3
    I've never heard of anyone buying skins then having wallpaper emailed. Either way you need to "mount" your droid then copy and paste your new wallpaper into the DCIM folder. Unmount your droid. Then go to your gallery and select it and apply as wallpaper. :D I hope this is what you mean :D

3. tlh178

tlh178 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply, when you say "mount" i assume you mean plug driod via usb into pc? also were is the dcim folder located? lol i'm 53 and its like trying too teach an old dog a new trick, lol, thanks for your time, T

4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I'm 57. Let this old dog teach you. Mount, yes plug it in via USB and on the drop down window tell it to mount to the PC. Once you see it on the screen open it up and you will see the DCIM folder in there.:)

5. AnneDroid

AnneDroid Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,tlh178, and welcome to the forum! First, download one of the free file managers from the market, like Linda or Astro. With the Droid, you can use it to sync iTunes, you can copy pictures to it, or you can set up custom ringtones, etc. All of these requires you to first mount the Droid by connecting the charging cable to the USB port in your PC. What that does, in simple terms, is make your SD card on your Motorola Droid accessible via your PC or MAC as a mapped drive and you'll be able to see your DCIM folder from your PC.

Once you're connected and your PC sees the card as a removable device, first touch and hold the top status bar on the main home screen of your Droid, then drag it down. This will bring up the notification task bar. Click USB Connected and you'll be asked if you want to 'Mount' or 'Don't mount' the Droid. Touch 'Mount' and it will mount using the USB. You can then search the SD card by using your PC to navigate. Drill down to the DMIC folder and copy and paste the wallpaper as stated above. When you're finished, be sure to "Safely Eject" the Droid before you pull the USB cord out. It sounds a lot more complicated that its is in reality.

To drag new ringtones and make them available on the Droid, I created a directory called "media" on the SD card. Then in the media directory I created a subdirectory called "audio". Then in the audio directory created subdirectories called "notifications", "ringtones", and "alarms". Then I just dropped my wav files into the appropriate folder, and assigned ringtones to contacts.

For notifications: media/audio/notifications
    For ringtones: media/audio/ringtones
    For alarms: media/audio/alarms

This will put the new ringtones in the list of ringtone options available for various alarms and notifcations on your Droid. Hope that helps you out!