another new guy

lizard

Reaction score
i come here because i just replaced my old v-cast phone with a droid 2. i think i rooted it correctly but im unsure. i was just hoping to browse through the forums and find the answers im looking for. i work in industrial maintenance, but im not too geeky smart on things like computers and phones, just wanted to take this on to get a little smarter and see what my new toy can do.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums. You've come to the right place. Let me know why you are unsure of if you are rooted and I'll see if I can help you. One quick test is to download a terminal emulator from the marketplace and type su and then enter. If you see # then you're rooted.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
lizard

lizard

Reaction score
after the program ran, at the bottom of the screen it said i should now be rooted, press exit to exit or any key to continue. i hit a key and the black box closed. i then unplugged my usb connection at the phone. i have a su permissions icon now and when you open the app the screen is all black with a banner above that reads" superuser permissions"

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
:welcome: to the forum! Download an app from the market called Terminal Emulator. Open it and type "su". You should get a superuser request AND when you've done that you'll notice the prompt turns from a $ into a #. That's the definitive "am I rooted" test.

And when it turns into a # for the first time it's such a sweet, sweet feeling! :woot:

OP
lizard

lizard

Reaction score
thanks all. you are being a big help from the start.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You're good to go then. A word of caution though, you've just entered a new phase in your life where much of your time will be consumed by your phone. Tells your friends and family you love them lol.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
+1!

You're good to go then. A word of caution though, you've just entered a new phase in your life where much of your time will be consumed by your phone. Tells your friends and family you love them lol.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
permission denied
$
Negative! $ = NOT rooted. I'm guessing you're using an outdated rooting method. Unfortunately you need to remove that before you can actually root. Is there an unrooting option in the program you used? If so, use it, and then try to follow the link in my signature.

EDIT:

I'm hoping you didn't type the "s when you typed su. Though permission denied doesn't sound like the right thing you'd get if you did. If you did, try it again without and if you get the # prompt at that point just ignore the first part of my post. :)

OP
lizard

lizard

Reaction score
#

I guess i did root. I didn't use the quotations first time through, sorry my bad but I guess thats how we live and learn.

Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions!

OP
lizard

lizard

Reaction score
Yeah, looks like you spoke too soon twice Spaz. :) Thanks for the help.

OP
lizard

lizard

Reaction score
sorry about all the confusion, i hope im not being too frustrating. You're all very patient.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Jeez I just can't get it right lol

Anyway glad you got it worked out