Another New Guy

DroidDave

Reaction score
Hi - another new Droid user here. I had an LG Touch which I liked very much, but was frustrated with not being able to see email attachments, follow links in email, clunky web browser, etc. So I decided to upgrade to a smart phone - and boy, am I glad I did! This thing is awesome, I'll never go back to a regular phone!

I'm a 58 yo software developer with no access to wi-fy at work, so now I can also listen to Pandora at home and work. I love being able to use folders - especially since there's so many apps available!

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I hope you enjoy your new Droid! It only gets better! Especially with the upcoming updates and what not, you wont stop learning new things within Android trust me...

OP
DroidDave

DroidDave

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm sure I will. You know, I went next door to GameStop and bought Assassin's Creed II while they were moving my contacts, pics & stuff. I didn't even open the box for almost a week I was having so much fun getting to know this phone and checking out new apps! Haha. I've got a flashlight (DroidLight), barcode scanner, Shazam, more games than I can count. Now I'm gone for 10-15 min whenever I take a bathroom break! lol

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm sure I will. You know, I went next door to GameStop and bought Assassin's Creed II while they were moving my contacts, pics & stuff. I didn't even open the box for almost a week I was having so much fun getting to know this phone and checking out new apps! Haha. I've got a flashlight (DroidLight), barcode scanner, Shazam, more games than I can count. Now I'm gone for 10-15 min whenever I take a bathroom break! lol

Haha! That's funny...I know exactly what you mean with the bathroom breaks! But make sure to read around this forum...its FULL of useful info about the wonderful device you hold in your hands. And if you can't find something, be sure to ask, there's plenty of people here willing to help!!

OP
DroidDave

DroidDave

Reaction score
Thanks Nate. I've discovered quite a few things already. I procrastinated a little before I joined, but you're definitely right, you can discover all kinds of things in here. And yes, it IS a wonderful little toy/computer/game system/music player/oh yeah...and telephone too, isn't it? It's the most popular phone in my office - and I'm a software engineer (java/oracle developer) and I'm surrounded by techno-geeks! (Actually, guess I'm one too) :)

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah ever since I've gotten this device I've just about become a computer geek...that's a characteristic of an Android owner I think, because the platform allows the user so much freedom to tinker and modify. It truly is a great open source software. Its capable of A LOT. And also, since your associated with java, you should be pretty familiar with all the apps and software already, because the way I understand, its built of nothing but java code right now (until flash is out I guess, which is very soon)

OP
DroidDave

DroidDave

Reaction score
I agree, it is capable of a lot. And yes, as far as the apps go - if I could come with a good idea, I'd probably try writing one myself.

Re: one of our earlier posts - Years ago, when cell phones were a brand new thing, I saw a study where the most commonly used phrase on the phone was "Guess where I'm calling you from?".....well, guess where I'm replying to this from? :laugh:

Aaron636r

Reaction score
welcome to your new addiction. Put this forum on the top of your bookmarks....great info and even better people.