(Another) International GPS Fix Question

NowhereMan1985

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm going to the Dominican Republic in February for a week. I have offline maps ready to go with Rmaps and MapDroyd. The problem is the infamous Droid X GPS in Airplane mode problem. After trying all the different tricks found on this site to acquire a fix without a cell network, I couldn't. Eventually I found a configuration that works in my apartment in the U.S. and I plan to use this configuration while in the D.R. The configuration is to disable the three tick boxes under Settings>Data Manager>Data Delivery>Background Data/Data Roaming/Data Enable, and then under Location & Security, I only have 'Use GPS Satellites' ticked. The voice network is still active, I can connect to GPS without a problem and there will be CDMA coverage in the D.R.

With these settings (voice network active, all data disabled), does acquring a GPS fix use any amount of data for which I could be billed? I read a post somewhere that said a GPS fix is about 6KB. Is this true? Also, while it didn't seem to work here, does WiFi help to acquire a fix?

(The data portion wasn't even a problem until last week when VZW cancelled their GlobalAccess unlimited plan :icon_evil:. Now data in the D.R. without their GlobalAccess plans is $20/MB.)

Thanks for your help.