Another contact issue..(I've exhausted my tech abilities)

3rdgenfan

Reaction score
Hello all,

I traded in my Blackberry Tour for the Moto Droid a few weeks ago, and had all of my contacts transfered over perfectly fine.

The other day my friend turned on Sync or something for some reason (even though I already had everything perfectly fine. It instantly deleted ALL of my contacts that did not have their phone numbers linked onto Facebook.

I checked on my GMail account and only 13 contacts were synced there.

I eventually found a program that would read the *.ipd file from the blackberry backup file I had, my only problem with that is now that I had everything exported as a CSV and then imported into GMail, there were no contact names.

Everything showed up as (Unknown Contact) although their information was in there perfectly fine. (name/number)

I used ABC Amber Converter for Blackberry to do the converting of the ipd file.

Is there something I am doing wrong or what? It's 400 contacts missing and I need them back on the phone asap.

Thanks a lot
Geoff

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum! I'm pretty sure your contacts are also stored on your SD card when they first put them on your droid. Can anyone else confirm/deny this? You might try taking it back to Verizon ... I'm sure someone could help you put them back on. Good luck:D

scoder

Reaction score
Go to contacts, menu, display options and make sure the first box is unchecked (depending on your preference or phone number contacts). Then click your gmail address below and make sure all of the checkboxes for different groups are checked.

If this doesn't help, choose menu in contacts, import, import from SD and choose cellebrite.vcf. Hope this helps.

OP

3rdgenfan

Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum! I'm pretty sure your contacts are also stored on your SD card when they first put them on your droid. Can anyone else confirm/deny this? You might try taking it back to Verizon ... I'm sure someone could help you put them back on. Good luck:D

Go to contacts, menu, display options and make sure the first box is unchecked (depending on your preference or phone number contacts). Then click your gmail address below and make sure all of the checkboxes for different groups are checked.

If this doesn't help, choose menu in contacts, import, import from SD and choose cellebrite.vcf. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the welcomes! Well it seems to me that absolutely nothing was saved on my SD card as it was one of the first things I've checked, as well as making sure all of the boxes were checked under my gmail contact syncing.

Again though, there were only 13 contacts synced when I logged on.

My main issue is just trying to get all of the flawed transfered files off (all of my Unknown Contact listings) and then somehow find a way to get everything imported correctly, as I am exporting as *.csv and then just imported into gmail.

Is there another program or file extension I can use? I just don't really understand all this phone jargon as I never mess with cell phones beyond being an old salesman for T-Mobile, Cingular/ATT, and Sprint...things have changed big time since 2007 haha.

scoder

Reaction score
How did you get your contacts on there originally? Did Verizon do it for you? If so, there must be a contact database file on the root of your SD card, usually called Cellebrite.vcf unless you deleted it manually. Mount your SD to the computer and make sure it's not in there. If it is, you can import all contacts into gmail.com.

The easiest way to remove the contacts that you don't want is this: Go to contacts, menu, accounts. Choose your gmail account, hit menu, and sync. This is just to make sure everything is synced 100%.
Then log into gmail on your PC and click contacts on the left panel. Delete all contacts you don't want.
Then manually sync from the Droid again.

I would also go into Facebook, go to options and disable sync. Wait for it to fully erase all synced data, then turn FB sync back on.

If none of this works, just go back to Verizon and have them do it from the Blackberry.

OP

3rdgenfan

Reaction score
How did you get your contacts on there originally? Did Verizon do it for you? If so, there must be a contact database file on the root of your SD card, usually called Cellebrite.vcf unless you deleted it manually. Mount your SD to the computer and make sure it's not in there. If it is, you can import all contacts into gmail.com.

The easiest way to remove the contacts that you don't want is this: Go to contacts, menu, accounts. Choose your gmail account, hit menu, and sync. This is just to make sure everything is synced 100%.
Then log into gmail on your PC and click contacts on the left panel. Delete all contacts you don't want.
Then manually sync from the Droid again.

I would also go into Facebook, go to options and disable sync. Wait for it to fully erase all synced data, then turn FB sync back on.

If none of this works, just go back to Verizon and have them do it from the Blackberry.

Best buy used it from a machine thing they have there, and no...I checked numerous times and there is no Cellebrite.vcf or any vcf file on the SD Card what so ever.

Also, there would be no issue with the contacts getting deleted if I still had the Blackberry. It was returned when they didn't have a replacement BB Tour, so I got credit for that original purchase and got the Moto Droid.

My issue is that all of my contacts (other than the ones I've re-entered) are in the phone as (Unknown) atleast twice, now. I need to know of a way to export the address book with it showing their name and then number.

This is a brief example of how they're entered if you click their information.

(Unknown)
FULLNAME: Geoff 3rdgenfan
NUMBER 302-867-5309

That is all I need to know, I have the backup from the Blackberry, but I can not properly export it as a csv or change it from a csv into a vcf.

svtpilot

Reaction score
I have the same problem

dancedroid
I just noticed it today. Not sure how long it's been like this, but when I tried to send out an e-mail from my G-mail account (on my PC), I noticed that all my contacts were gone and replaced with just the phone number list that's in my phone. How can I get them back? I copied and pasted a couple of hundred contacts from an old e-mail and sent out a "test" e-mail thinking it would populate my contact list. It put them all into an "other Contacts" file. Any suggestions? Also, I don't see any file on the phone that would contain these contacts. I've lost over 1000 (I guess).