Annoying text notifications

mrlymelyte

Reaction score
Hi,

Anybody else get this annoying text notification every time they send out a text to non-verizon users? "900080004221: FREE_VZW_MSG: Messages sent to non-VZW customers with graphics/tones/formatting and/or 160+ characters are sent as plain text with only the first 160 characters"

Please tell me how to turn this off. It is so useless and a pain. Thanks.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I only got it once when I sent a text to someone on AT&T. Got the notification once and that's it. It surprised me too since I am a new customer at Verizon. Kinda dumb to put a 160 character limit without splitting it into two text messages.

I know for a fact that AT&T splits a 160+ character message into two messages as I was a customer less than a month ago. I think even T-Mobile does the same.

J-Buck

Reaction score
Thats not a DROID only thing. Ive had verizon for 3 years and whenever you text out of the network you get that text. You can't turn it off... It's just there to remind you that you can't send over 160 to other networks. Blame Friedhelm Hillebrand for the limit.

Also you keep on getting it because you keep on trying to send 160+ characters to non verizon people. just stop at 160 and u won't get it

Reaction score
Using an app like Handcent will fix that for you. It automatically splits your messages into two if you go over the 160 character limit. Plus its much more customizable and gives you a popup notification when the phone is in standby

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah handcent if you enable it to, will autosplit messages up after 160 characters, so it will send multiple sms's to people, like most other networks.

J-Buck

Reaction score
I dont have a droid but is it like BB's when you cant even send 160 within your own network?