Announcement coming Oct. 11th Maybe

OP
OriginalDroid

OriginalDroid

Reaction score
i don't want to be Debbie Downer, but don't get your hopes up. Highly unlikely Google would allow Samsung to announce Google's flagship phone, debuting Google's brand new OS. Nexus devices are typically announced by Google, itself, at a Google event. i'm betting it will be an unveiling of the Droid Prime/Charge 2 ( http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ay-rogers-canada-4-row-qwerty-dual-cores.html )/

Hence the reason I posted it in the droid prime forum.

In my eyes, nexus prime/droid prime, same phone, verizon just wanted to put their stamp on it, it will be similar to the OG. Non-Nexus phones/tablets have debuted new versions of Android, people continue to assume ICS is going to debut on a nexus device, while nothing has been confirmed, hopefully we'll know for certain Oct. 11th.

Sent from my Bugless Droid using DroidForums

EFGantry

Reaction score
i understand what you're saying. i still believe (mainly because i don't want to believe otherwise) that we will have 2 separate devices:

1. the Droid Prime - a bloatwared vzw device (the SCH-i515) that is the GS2 variant for vzw.

2. the Nexus - a vanilla android pure Nexus device (the GT-i9250)

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
i don't want to be Debbie Downer, but don't get your hopes up. Highly unlikely Google would allow Samsung to announce Google's flagship phone, debuting Google's brand new OS. Nexus devices are typically announced by Google, itself, at a Google event. i'm betting it will be an unveiling of the Droid Prime/Charge 2 ( http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ay-rogers-canada-4-row-qwerty-dual-cores.html )/

While I agree this will not be the Nexus announcement, I don't think whatever device they're showing will resemble anything like the link you posted. No way the Prime/Charge 2 is a slider.

OP
OriginalDroid

OriginalDroid

Reaction score
While I agree this will not be the Nexus announcement, I don't think whatever device they're showing will resemble anything like the link you posted. No way the Prime/Charge 2 is a slider.

That is one rumor I don't see why people are worried about, google isn't going to develop a buttonless OS just for a manufacturer to add a bunch of buttons in the form of a keyboard on the debut phone, Samsung isn't that stupid either.

EFGantry

Reaction score

the Panda seemed pretty convinced that there's a Sammy slider coming to VZW. but, just to clarify, if there is a slider/pkb device, it will be the Droid Prime/Charge 2 - no way will the Nexus be a slider.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
the Panda seemed pretty convinced that there's a Sammy slider coming to VZW. but, just to clarify, if there is a slider/pkb device, it will be the Droid Prime/Charge 2 - no way will the Nexus be a slider.

Nah, it was said that the slider version would come later. Decemberish or maybe even later. I doubt the Prime/Charge will be a slider. Look for it to resemble the GSII, possibly buttonless and running ICS, with bloat and a light sprinkling of touchwiz. Nexus will be a buttonless, sliderless, ICS packing powerhouse SOB that will crap on Apple's party.

EFGantry

Reaction score
Nah, it was said that the slider version would come later. Decemberish or maybe even later. I doubt the Prime/Charge will be a slider. Look for it to resemble the GSII, possibly buttonless and running ICS, with bloat and a light sprinkling of touchwiz. Nexus will be a buttonless, sliderless, ICS packing powerhouse SOB that will crap on Apple's party.

agreed!!

i guess we'll just have to wait and see on the rest - you may be right...

OP
OriginalDroid

OriginalDroid

Reaction score
The Samsung slide that is coming to verizon with 4G is the stratosphere, unless they plan on launching two 4G keyboards, the stratosphere and the prime(with a keyboard?!!?) , in cohesion, which makes perfect business sense...

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Samsung slide that is coming to verizon with 4G is the stratosphere, unless they plan on launching two 4G keyboards, the stratosphere and the prime(with a keyboard?!!?) , in cohesion, which makes perfect business sense...

Which is exactly why I doubt the slider he's referring to, or one like it has any chance of coming to Verizon.

ThePsychicSaw

Reaction score
folks there are models numbers for these phones, we can be practical or not.

practical:

google will announce a nexus phone (packing ICS that GT build phone)

samsung will announce the i515 which again being practical is the Charge 2

theres nothing but rumors out but one fact remains NOTHING fits a regular business model.

if a nexus is finally coming to verizon its going to fall in line with a lot of other top of the line smartphones in the same gap, so lets not rule out the slider just because the stratosphere is about to come out.

droid charge 2 sch-i515 : slider, slight spec upgrade over original charge, NOT ICS, verizon bloated

galaxy nexus (may or may not be coming to verizon im saying YAY for the first time ever) gt-i9250: ICS nexus device with all the specs we've been waiting for

patriot95

Reaction score
I think the Samsung Droid Prime and Charge 2 will be the same device. I don't see Samsung making two phones to compete with each other.

In the end I believe there will be a Samsung Stratosphere slider phone.. a Samsung Droid Prime/Charge 2 phone which will be Galaxy SII-like without ICS on launch and Verizon bloat... and a Google Nexus device with ICS at launch.

The Stratosphere will compete directly with the Droid 3, the Prime/Charge2 with the Bionic and Vigor, and the Google Nexus mainly with the Vigor and HD (if rumored specs for both are correct).

If it plays out that way... Samsung will avoid directly competing with itself. There may be a little competition between the Nexus and Prime/Charge, but I dont really expect there to be much. People buying the Nexus buy it for a reason. The average consumer will either bite, or wont. Seems like most people like their dose of Sense or Touchwiz or Blur. In the end, all of this is great for all of us because every single phone I've mentioned will probably be a royal beast.

If Verizon has..
1) GSII-like slider (Stratosphere)
2) GSII-like touch (Prime/Charge2)
3) HTC Vigor
4) Droid HD
5) Google nexus
6) Bionic (holding on due to awesome accessories)
... out in the next ~3 months. Look out! Verizon may have the best lineup of any carrier (something I haven't been able to say before). And for the sake of arguing for Verizon and not just Android at this point, they will also have the iPhone 5 in that lineup. AND LTE is in MORE locations than they promised. Verizon is really shaking things up recently. The best service with the best devices on the fastest network? Glad I'm with Big Red!

dancedroid

jcardona1

Reaction score
Stupid question. If two phones end up coming out of this (Nexus and Prime), where will the Nexus go? Will it be a phone I can use on Verizon? Or is it for other carriers? Don't know too much about the Nexus lineup...

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
If Verizon has..
1) GSII-like slider (Stratosphere)
2) GSII-like touch (Prime/Charge2)
3) HTC Vigor
4) Droid HD
5) Google nexus
6) Bionic (holding on due to awesome accessories)
... out in the next ~3 months. Look out! Verizon may have the best lineup of any carrier (something I haven't been able to say before). And for the sake of arguing for Verizon and not just Android at this point, they will also have the iPhone 5 in that lineup. AND LTE is in MORE locations than they promised. Verizon is really shaking things up recently. The best service with the best devices on the fastest network? Glad I'm with Big Red!

dancedroid

These are major if's. Don't be surprised if Verizon disappoints.

Also, the Stratosphere you mentioned is in NO way similar to a GSII like slider. It has more in common with the GSI (Fascinate). Essentially a Fascinate slider with LTE. The specs put it in the lower tier of phones.