Angry Birds Hits Half a Billion Downloads; Yes, that's 500,000,000!

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;hGdwUiTRn-I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hGdwUiTRn-I[/video]​

I'd bet that most developers can only imagine getting 1/100th of of this level of success with their apps or games. Apparently, "Angry Birds" has reached a ridiculous milestone, with 500 Million downloads! Now, obviously, a good portion of those were probably downloading the free version, but if they even got 10% of that number to purchase, that would be 50 Million times the price of the game. Just wow! The video above gives some interesting factoids about how successful the game has been in raw numbers, and here is a breakdown below of some of it:
  • No. 1 in 79 Countries
  • 266 billion levels played
  • 400 billion birds shot
  • The equivalent of 200,000 years played
  • 300 million minutes played daily
That's impressive no matter how you look at it. These stats rival some of the most popular games on consoles or PC gaming. What do you guys think?

Source: AndroidMarket - Angry Birds

J

JohnDroid

It's a great game, simple enough for everyone but complex and entertaining enough to keep you playing for hours. It has a good interface, good character development, excellent sound -- for what was a small indy developer at the time it was a monster success. Cheers to Rovio!

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
OK, I'm responsible for like 20 of those. It's called "wiping your phone and trying a new ROM"!

-Matt

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
OK, I'm responsible for like 20 of those. It's called "wiping your phone and trying a new ROM"!

-Matt

Even if everyone who wipes their phone and tries a new ROM did it multiple times, that probably wouldn't even account for 2 million of this 500M (and that's being generous).

Great job to Rovio.

Jonas

Reaction score
This game... Oh lord... When I first got my D1 EVERYONE wanted to borrow my phone to play this game. I don't fancy it much myself, but my little brother, and my mom play it hardcore. It's like a small cult really...

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i cant quit playing the stupid game. ive beat it but im trying to get three stars on all levels and being the serial flasher that i am, keep having to restart. Now my kids play it and i think they have mine and "moms" phone more than we do. I bought 2 Kindle Fires so we could have our frigging phones back.