Andy Hits 300,000 Activations per Day

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
android_army.jpg

Google announced during their Q4 earnings call that Android smartphones have now hit 300,000 activations per day. This is an official confirmation of an Andy Rubin Tweet back in December. It was also revealed in the conference that searches from within Android were up by 10 times, and mobile search in general grew by a factor of four. Nice! That's almost 110 Million Androids a year!

Source: AndroidCentral

Blayzejlm

Reaction score
That's great but it kinda sounds high. Maybe I just don't know the numbers for other companies?

JoeeDB

Reaction score
Lol I don't believe that for a second. Idk who or where these numbers are from but that seems VERY unlikely doesn't? Does anyone believe this?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't know how accurate that is....and if it is accurate it's definitely not new activations...

beneharris

Reaction score
there is no way its new activations, that would be crazy. i hardly believe the number as it is. that is
8,400,000 per week.

that would only take 36 months for every single person in America to have an android phone.

obviously many of these androids are in other countries, but i think it still makes the point.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
yeah i think it's a little bit of hyperbole along with a "mine is bigger than yours"...those are unrealistic and foolish numbers...

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't know how accurate that is....and if it is accurate it's definitely not new activations...

Seriously! Back when new basebands were coming out more frequently people would go back and forth between basebands to figure out which one work better with their phones. I know this because I was one of those people who did that and everytime I swap basebands, I had to activate/program my phone again. So are these type of activations being counted repeated or are these numbers based on new android phone activations only?

300,000 activations per day is huge.

Getsome122

Reaction score
there is no way its new activations, that would be crazy. i hardly believe the number as it is. that is
8,400,000 per week.

that would only take 36 months for every single person in America to have an android phone.

obviously many of these androids are in other countries, but i think it still makes the point.

Actually would be 2.1 million per week and 109.2 million per yr...

Might wanna download a new calculator app cause yours is a little off. Lol

But yeah those numbers still seem high. Even with those of us that switch phones multiple times a yr.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, IPhone sold I think 50M last year....Global installed base I have no idea, but somewhere @ 80M, maybe? And Android is neck-and-neck with market share, most of that from 2010 and accelerating so I'd say 300,000 activations a day is probably a realistic number.

Now, I assume they count an activation when people have to re-sign into gmail after an update. Probably includes upgrades (and those flashing roms), of course updates haven't been pushed and the rom community is maybe 1% (though they tend to flash almost weekly it seems).

But Android's installed base will probably surge past 100M this year, which would be @ 300,000 activations a day (more with multiple updates, not to mention tablets).

alukan

Reaction score
It does sound high but it is VERY illegal to misstate something like this on the SEC regulated quarterly earnings report. Don't get me wrong, there could be some asterisks and footnotes going on that we don't see. But as an active investor, I specifically like to listen to these types of company earnings reports since it is so heavily regulated on what can and cannot be stated.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
Ohh , America , the center of the world . You do know that there are providers in Europe or Asia with more subscribers that the entire US population . For example Vodafone , who also owns Verizon ( that's right , you are buying phones from the brits ) has more than 330 million subscribers only in Europe . In countries like Italia there are more phones activated then the actual population . To have 109.000.000 Android phones activated per year , isn't that much big of a deal being that there are over 4.5 billion subscribers worldwide and most of them are changing phones every two years

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah i neglected to consider that this is a worldwide number and not just US. Sorry, that was that damn american arrogance...haha...300,000 a day worldwide is definitely a feasible number

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I dont think the numbers are unrealistic. That number or similar was posted last year. Look at the Galaxy S line that sold 20 million worldwide so far. Last number for the US was 4 million. Dont know the numbers for the other Android phones but this number is realistic.

Also like kodiak said, just based on the market share of the iPhone and Android this number is realistic.