Androids Newest Handset Manufacturer is... Kodak?

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
kodak-ektra-smartphone-800x630.jpg

Raise your "hand" if you remember a company called Kodak? Some of you millennials can be forgiven if you haven't heard of them. They probably haven't been too prominent in your lifetime. They used to be one of the largest photography companies in the world. Based out of Rochester, New York, they sold cameras and film to millions around the world. (LINK if you aren't sure what film is).

I saw this announcement, and at first, I thought it surely must be an old article from 2010. Nope. It's legit. The Kodak Ektra is a leatherette covered, Android 6.0 phone sporting a Helio X-20 SoC, 3GB of RAM, 32 GB of micro-SD expandable storage and a 3,000 mAh (non removable) battery. It looks to be a pretty vanilla Android install with Kodak's own camera app that actually seems pretty nice. Sadly, the specs on the camera look to be pretty middle of the road by today's standards. Currently only announced for European release at a pricey €450. I will update this post if/when US pricing is released.

Source: Ars Technica

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I never thought I would see a smart phone made by Kodak. Interesting.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
My first digital camera was a Kodak, 2.1mp stolen by a damn laborer.... Glad the Internet wasn't huge back then or I'd have to explain to some GFs about "those deleted pictures"

Sent from my New Note 7

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
Now that's what I call a camera bump! Look at the size of that thing! I don't care for the bottom but I see the reason for it being that way. Good to see Kodak is still around. I thought they were long gone after they stopped the film/camera sales.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Now that's what I call a camera bump! Look at the size of that thing! I don't care for the bottom but I see the reason for it being that way. Good to see Kodak is still around. I thought they were long gone after they stopped the film/camera sales.
They were bought and sold at least once when they stopped making film.

If they're trying to rely on the name, the camera should be the best on the market. These specs definitely seem underwhelming, unless they have some secret card up their sleeve.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Too little too late Kodak, however, if the camera is the main focus of this device, then we may have a winner.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
It has "6 Axis OIS". What the heck is that?
I would expect a better flash on this.

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
This could lead to some awesome stuff though. Consider it. A phone built around a telephoto lens camera or something like that .night vision. Blah blah .id buy that phone just cause . lol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

R

RETG

Article makes it sound like Kodak is an unknown company...they are still here. And who knows, they could outlast Samdung.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It has "6 Axis OIS". What the heck is that?
I would expect a better flash on this.
6 gyroscope points for optical stabilization to make it super steady. If memory serves the normal on a phone is 2 points

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

Last edited: