Androids are Evolving and Taking Over the World!

Discussion in 'Android News' started by JohnDroid, Dec 2, 2010.

1. JohnDroid

JohnDroid Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG]

It may sound like a mediocre Will Smith movie, but according to a couple of interesting statistical studies recently published, Android-based phones are on a meteoric rise to dominance. Also, of the Android phones in the market, a vast majority of them are running the two most advanced operating systems, Eclair 2.1 and Froyo 2.2.

This Nielsen study reported here at Engadget.com, shows that the iPhone and the Android have eroded Blackberry's original market-share dominance from last year, which was originally 35% but is now down to 27.4%. The study further indicates that Android phones have skyrocketed from only 9% of the world smart-phone market at the beginning of the year up to 22.7% now!

Delving deeper into the Android side of things, we find this other study also reported at Engadget.com, sharing statistics on the favorite OS choices for Android users. According to this report, Android operating systems, Eclair 2.1 and Froyo 2.2, now account for roughly the same market-share on Android phones, and collectively they account for about 84% of all Android phones.

It's pretty amazing that our Androids are proliferating across the globe at a faster pace than any other smart-phone, and I look forward to seeing what new features Gingerbread will have. Let us know what you guys think in the forums.

By dgstorm

2. diverbelow

diverbelow Member

Ratings:
    +0
    that is an insane jump from 9 to 22.7% to now.

Just think if all the Samsung Galaxy S phones where on Froyo as well...

3. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +941
    Yes and no. Android finally provided a quality option (in some cases the only one) for a smartphone.

BB got caught sleeping at the wheel. Apple's market share has remained pretty constant but they've continued to capture that % of the growth. Probably a large part of what we've seen is Android taking that growth/new sales from BB. Android and IOS are legit competitors while BB is not. It's really only due to entrenchment on BES and BIS that BB has been able to hang-on.

4. Big Fate

Big Fate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How about they fix their current bugs in the system before they make a statement like that...

5. dbst

dbst Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Android/Google is the Skynet of Terminator, so they will take over the world :icon_eek:

6. Johnly

Johnly Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Very interesting ebb.

7. dbst

dbst Member

Ratings:
    +0
    *soon* they will take over the world
    It would't let me edit my post

8. DroidMastar2

DroidMastar2 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Ii have been calling Google "Skynet" ever since I read the ToS for chrome... Lol, I hope when android becomes self aware it shows me some compassion...

9. electric6

electric6 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    All this news just makes me even more ancy, as I continue to wait for a good verizon phone(dince 2) to replace my aging iphone. Hurry up verizon, I'm not going to buy your outdated phones!!

10. SlamminCam

SlamminCam Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I mean what did everyone expect? Samsung went about it the right way. They released the same phone on every carrier. Not a lot of different phones for each carrier. It allowed more people to buy their phone then people with just the Droid on Verizon. Verizon isn't the only carrier in the US. Sounds like smart marketing to me. Now more people will probably want to buy Samsung products because of this statistic. I will stick to my Moto Droid for now tho. Still wouldn't trade it for anything, right now that is.