Android Wear's Latest Ad Focuses On More Slick Dance Moves & Consumer Choice

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Google's latest video ad for their Android Wear products is making the rounds across the interwebs. This latest one ups the ante on the fancy dance moves, but it actually makes sense in a strange and abstract way. It actually becomes apparent from watching it that Google wants the ad to focus on customers getting more choices out of Android Wear.

They basically want to play up the personalization and individual expression angle. Sound off and let us know what you think of Google's latest Android Wear ad.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
this is where I feel Android Wear wins the battle against Apple Watch. Choices. Apple watch, everyone gets the same one. Colors schmollers, its the same watch. For Android Wear, you have major companies, nobody companies and everything in between that can make a watch. Because of that, I think Android War wins hands down.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I saw it for the first time last night, watching some TV. At first I wasn't sure where they were trying to go with the ad. Targeting the younger, hip crowd only? But then I watched it a second time and it made more sense. Kind of follows their whole android ad theme of "be together but be yourself" and choices.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
this is where I feel Android Wear wins the battle against Apple Watch. Choices. Apple watch, everyone gets the same one. Colors schmollers, its the same watch. For Android Wear, you have major companies, nobody companies and everything in between that can make a watch. Because of that, I think Android War wins hands down.
Sadly, Apple has proved time and again that people don't want choices...Or will forego choices to get something with that little apple logo on it.

That said, I agree with what someone else has stated in another Android Wear related thread. They need to make these spots showcase what the device can do, rather than having people dance around with them on.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Agree. While the ad isn't horrible... if I knew nothing about Android watches.... I'd still know nothing....

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The only ad I've ever seen by Google/Android that actually made the product look like anything was the Nexus tablet where they used Google Now to ask questions about the moon distance from the earth and stuff. Nothing prior or since has shown they actually want folks to buy their products. At least Samsung pokes fun at their biggest competitor while showing why theirs is better. While the Samsung watch commercials are incorporated into their entire lineup of devices, they show the guy answering a call while out on a jog.
But at the same time Apple marketing seems to draw some people away from their products and towards others by their same marketing campaign since Jobs died that actually shows nothing in the 30 second spot.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
With android wear you can sell this product. Think they just need to keep the approach simple. As I tell people who ask me why I have a smart watch I explain how it adds that element of connection without having to grab my phone all the time. We have gotten so into our phones that it's nothing to see people stare at their phones longer than anything else. I know it allows us to stay connected to the world around us. But some times our tool to stay connected can cause us to miss the world in front of us. I am dedicated to staying connected to the world in front of me using my phone when needed. Smart watches allow me to do that by allowing me to vet the information in front of me allowing me to keep my phone in my pocket more and my eyes on what is in front of me. Do I need a smart watch, no but I do not need a smart phone either, but like the smart phone the smart watch changed the way I view information. And like the smart phone I feel out of place when I leave my watch.
I do think people could be trying to do too much with smart watches. Like having a web browser, yes the concept is cool but really when you think about it we are going for larger more high definition panels so why spend all this money for a smart phone with a 5.1-6 inch high definition screen only to try and struggle to view web content on a watch. Now I do like what Samsung did adding a phone to the watch because there are times when running to the mailbox or something minor where your phone may be on the charger but you get a notification that an important call is coming through. Yeah you can run back to call them back but even better to be able to answer the call there and continue your walk to the mail box.

Point is all watch companies have to do is put real world scenarios to show why the product is useful and people will buy. Especially when more manufacturers throw their hat in the ring which means more choice and price options.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Amen. I've said it in other threads, but I reach for my phone way less with my G watch. Before, I'd grab my phone & since I already had it out, I'd disengage from those around me & get sucked into the phone.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I can't believe that no one on the internet has pointed out that the next MOTO360 is in the ad at the very end.

- Relocated crown
- NO FLAT TIRE
- Same slim bezel
- Non-proprietary band

New360.png