Android Wear Works With The Iphone Moto 360; Pairs Nicely

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
android-wear-ios.png

Google announced today that Android Wear now works with iOS. I don't own an iphone other than my work Iphone, but for the first time ever I am actually considering purchasing an Iphone when the Iphone 6s releases. This is mostly so I can compare the phone to other devices. My wife will actually probably carry the phone, but it is nice to know that Android Wear will be compatible.

During the Announcement Google announce that the LG G Watch Urbane as well as several soon to come smart watches can be paired to the Iphone. As it turns out the Moto 360 can also be paired with the Iphone. Your Moto 360 must be updated to the latest version of Anrdoid Wear which is v1.3. The device doesn't come out of the box with this version of Android Wear and you will need and Android device to get it updated. Once updated it will pair to the Iphone easily.

Last edited by a moderator:

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I'm wondering if these watches will update their software through iphones once they're on v1.3?

My Moto360 updated itself via wifi just a couple days ago. Had to factory reset my Note 5 because I sideloaded the new Google Play Services update and it killed my phone. I forgot to reconnect my watch to my phone and it self updated. My guess is that is how they will recieve updates when connected to an iOS device.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yeah. It's never going to see the full integration like our Android Wear watches see on our Android phones. I bet it'll still get better in time though. This is the initial roll out of ios support, after all.

Will be interesting to see if we ever get any hard number on how many AW watches are paired with ios devices down the road.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
And you can't blame Google. If they made it too good, Apple wouldn't allow it on the app store. :D

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see if we ever get any hard number on how many AW watches are paired with ios devices down the road.

Unless those people are wising-up to being locked into the Apple ecosystem (unlikely), I really can't see why they wouldn't just get the I-watch since in most cases AW-based watches have less features and really aren't better looking (they're all kinda "meh" IMO). Some might go with the LG Urbane (that runs AW, not sure if it will also be LTE).

Although one big difference is the AW-based watches can stand alone, and sync with your phone over any wifi. That's a big plus for AW, but far too technical for most IPhone users.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Unless those people are wising-up to being locked into the Apple ecosystem (unlikely), I really can't see why they wouldn't just get the I-watch since in most cases AW-based watches have less features and really aren't better looking (they're all kinda "meh" IMO). Some might go with the LG Urbane (that runs AW, not sure if it will also be LTE).

Although one big difference is the AW-based watches can stand alone, and sync with your phone over any wifi. That's a big plus for AW, but far too technical for most IPhone users.
Yeah, in figuring it'd be people that aren't hardcore fanboys that go with AW.

I have a buddy that flops back and forth between iPhone & Android. He's got a zen watch. I'm sure he'd be happy to use aw with either phone.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
What features is Android wear missing that iWatch has?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk