Android vs Apple - Why Did You Pick Android?

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Many years ago I got an Android phone. I don't even remember which one but I wasn't thrilled with it and very soon traded it for a Samsung Focus Windows phone. It was actually a pretty good phone and a really decent OS. At some point I had my hands on many of my customer's phones and early on decided Apple was not in my future. But I became interested again in Android as it had matured since my first foray.

Again, simply based on my customer's experience with iPhones I can't see myself ever going there due to what I consider a very limiting ecosystem. I guess Android is it for me, pretty much from here on in.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Many years ago I got an Android phone. I don't even remember which one but I wasn't thrilled with it and very soon traded it for a Samsung Focus Windows phone. It was actually a pretty good phone and a really decent OS. At some point I had my hands on many of my customer's phones and early on decided Apple was not in my future. But I became interested again in Android as it had matured since my first foray.

Again, simply based on my customer's experience with iPhones I can't see myself ever going there due to what I consider a very limiting ecosystem. I guess Android is it for me, pretty much from here on in.

One of my employees said the Focus was one of the best Windows phones of the time.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

hkwise01

Reaction score
It was switching from at&t to Verizon that got me to switch from Windows Mobile to Android. I came from a HTC Fuze to the HTC Incredible the first day it came out. I originally wanted a iPhone when they first came out in 2007, but I had become familiar to my HTC's.

I'm with Verizon still to this day and still using HTC phones with the new m8.

mobilefan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 7
I switched from apple to android because I'm tired of the apple BS.

Edwin Bos

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Started because Android is highly configurable. Didn't like the closed environment that Apple provides.

Once you are hooked to a particular OS it is easier to keep using it. When you buy a new Phone it imports the previous settings and apps. Important reason to stick to it.

However, do have some privacy/safety concern atm. Am considering switching...

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Blackberry > WinMoby as I called it with the old Moto Q that I still have sitting in a drawer... I did love that phone > (never really interested in the iPhone even though I supported it... it was nice.... preferred my Q actually.... and then > OG Droid....

\\EDIT\\ Actually MS pissed me off when they said there were releasing a new OS (Winmoby 7) and 6 devices were just EOL... Yea, well we know how well that went...

Attachments

• IMG_20140916_160327.jpg
    IMG_20140916_160327.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I started off in the smartphone world using the original iPhone, 3G, 3GS, then the i4 for two months. At that time one of my friends had the Evo with the Ginormous screen. I sold the i4 and switched to the S2, S3, Note 1, S4, then the Note 3. Ironically what drove me towards Android is now bringing the i6 Plus into my life...the screen size.

I'm not ditching Android however. I am also getting the Note 4. I require two phones now and since Sammy refuses to make a top tier phone a dual sim I am going to run with iOS and Android.

Chanblesas

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S4
As an opensource developer, Android is more friendly for me. I can build my own Android os or widgets if needed.

baudwalk

Reaction score
After all the MOTO phones including the fabulous StarTAC, then 3 BlackBerry smartphones, I switched back to MOTO for the durable Droid Bionic. The reason? Screen size and readability to sooth these aging tired eyes. I wasn't a fan of the Apple ecosystem or the tiny screens.

habitropes

Reaction score
Hi, I have read that mostly here go for Androids . Actually, I have been using my Android phone for a long time now and this was given to me as a gift. I have no regrets about it. I think , I would still choose that over Apple because I find the settings and applications easy to operate. I'm also comfortable with it.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Moving from a dumb phone to the Palm Windows... "The Palm Treo 700w is a Windows Mobile-powered smartphone that was officially announced on September 26, 2005." Ironically that's my birthday. Then it was the HTC XV6800 Windows. And from there it was the OG Droid. From there it was Motorola Droids all the way (D2, DRZR, DRZR MAXX), and except for a short stumble with a Samsung Galaxy S4, then right back to the Droid MAXX. My main reasons are the same as most already mentioned. Don't like the whole Apple iPhone closed minded mentality, iTunes being proprietary format, App Store being expensive, wanted customization, wanted multitasking, the entire Google relationship, the list goes on and on.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I was using Windows phone prior to release of droid x myself. Samsung sch-i760 was the only smartphone with wifi that didn't require data plan.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Wow! Am I the only OG user left here?

I saw an article back in 2007 or so that Google was making a phone. It was around the same time I read an article on the iPhone, but, for whatever reason, the google thing stuck in my head and was what I wanted.

I bought the t-mobile G1, which I used until I moved up here, out of t-mo's service area. I ended up with an LG feature phone, which sucked, but I couldn't use data on the G1 anyway. Fast-forward a number of months and I went in with my cousins to add them to my plan since we all lived together and the gal was showing us the OG droid. My eyes lit up and I said, "IS THAT ANDROID!?"

The love affair has never ended since. I tried an iPhone once. Used my upgrade. Took it home for a few days. Didn't stick. Returned it and went back to my Bionic.

G1, Moto Droid, Droid X, Droid 2 r2-d2, Droid Bionic, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S4, Galaxy Note 4 pre-ordered.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Wow! Am I the only OG user left here?

I saw an article back in 2007 or so that Google was making a phone. It was around the same time I read an article on the iPhone, but, for whatever reason, the google thing stuck in my head and was what I wanted.

I bought the t-mobile G1, which I used until I moved up here, out of t-mo's service area. I ended up with an LG feature phone, which sucked, but I couldn't use data on the G1 anyway. Fast-forward a number of months and I went in with my cousins to add them to my plan since we all lived together and the gal was showing us the OG droid. My eyes lit up and I said, "IS THAT ANDROID!?"

The love affair has never ended since. I tried an iPhone once. Used my upgrade. Took it home for a few days. Didn't stick. Returned it and went back to my Bionic.

G1, Moto Droid, Droid X, Droid 2 r2-d2, Droid Bionic, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S4, Galaxy Note 4 pre-ordered.
Nope you are not the only one...that was my first Android also. Sometime in 2010 the wife and I both got one when they went on sale 2 for $100.00. I had procrastinated and kept saying "I will never use a smartphone...don't need one, etc". After we bought them...I realized that I was using it a lot and liked it. Since the OG Droid...its been Droid 3 > Droid Bionic > Droid RAZR M > Droid Maxx. And will more than likely get the Droid Turbo at some point.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I wanted the G1, but it wasn't available on my carrier. That's why I went the iPhone route first.