Android versions?

CMDRSTP

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity and zero knowledge as this is my 1st smartphone (and, I absolutely love it!).....

I have the Droid Razr Maxx with Android Version 2.3.6

Why has it never been updated to "Honeycomb" and will be jumping right into "Ice Cream Sandwich?" Are such updates or operating system versions phone specific?

Although I have no experience with anything other than Gingerbread, I like it!

rjeatkrconley

Reaction score
Honeycomb was meant for tablets. My Xoom had it but has been upgraded to creamy goodness. My RAZR is very jealous! !!!

WETLAYED

Reaction score
3.0 AKA "honeycomb" is the android version that the tablets use. It is optimized for the use and functionality for a tablet. However, on some of the newer tablets, ice cream sandwhich is used.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

rjeatkrconley

Reaction score
Yes sir. And if that wasn't confusing enough, we will start getting g a lot more info on "jelly bean" during Google developer conference.

OP
CMDRSTP

CMDRSTP

Reaction score
Thank you, both, for explaining! I take it "Jelly Bean" will be the next version after "ICS?"

Steve

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Aha, I never realized it followed alphabetical order; A= Android, B=?, C=?, D=?, E= Eclair, F= Froyo, G= Gingerbread, H= Honeycomb, I= Ice Cream Sandwich, J= Jelly Bean, K= Key Lime Pie...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

rjeatkrconley

Reaction score
Anytime sir. One of the things I have enjoyed the most from this forum is we are all here to help each other. We are very lucky to have many very intelligent people and even more that have destroyed, broken, and/or bricked enough devices to help us not make the same mistakes.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Not quiche, lol! Maybe Quick Bread. I know one thing... it will be a very very long time before it gets here.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

rjeatkrconley

Reaction score
I am not so sure about that. When Google takes over the world, things are prolly goin to move pretty quick!

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
C = Cupcake and D = Donut. I'm not sure if there were an A or B. They might have been pre-release test builds.

Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid