1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Android update

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by rcklss1, Apr 9, 2010.

1. rcklss1

rcklss1 New Member

Hey guys I just have one question i hope someone can help with.. my moto droid is rooted on 2.1 using bugless beast 0.9.. o/c'ed to 1.25.. Im new to rooting and am loving it so far.. my only question is can i install the android update that i keep getting notice of or will this unroot my phone or mess up the the rooting or bugless beast install

using bb 0.9
    firmware 2.1
    baseband c_01.3e.03p
    kernel low voltage chevy 5 slot 1.25

thanks in advance for your help..
  2. pc747

pc747 Administrator Staff Member

the 2.1 should fail because you have sprecovery image. But if you do install the official 2.1 it will be the unrooted version. If you just want 2.1 with root you will have to install the rooted 2.1 that is on the forums.
  3. jstafford1

jstafford1 Super Moderator

Like Charles said, and stated at droidmod.org, you can allow the update to download and it will be stopped by sprecovery. I'm sure the constant notification is anoying.

Quote from DroidMod:
    I thought I would post some clarification about the 2.1 OTA update, since there is a shockingly large amount of misinformation being spread throughout the community. If you are running DroidMod, you should accept the 2.1 update. The phone will reboot in to recovery, and SPRecovery will block the update outright. Even if you are not running SPRecovery, there’s really nothing to worry about, because the pre-install checks internal to the update will fail, and the update will not be applied anyways.
    Many people have been renaming otacerts.zip to stop the notification from appearing, so I’d like to address that. Renaming otacerts.zip will indeed stop the notifications from being presented to you, but it does so by breaking the updater mechanism in a way that makes it think that the update file is corrupt. This will cause it to re-download the update file indefinitely, which will severely impact your battery life. This is why we didn’t remove the file from the ROM entirely.
    So, to put it simply, if you are running any non-stock ROM at all, you can safely “accept” the 2.1 update to stop the notifications; the update will not be able to patch the modified system files, and will not make any changes to your phone.
  4. EmmaMadeleineMcDonald

EmmaMadeleineMcDonald New Member

Android is a software stack for mobile devices that includes an operating system, middleware and key applications, that uses a modified version of the Linux kernel. It was initially developed by Android Inc., a firm later purchased by Google, and lately by the Open Handset Alliance. It allows developers to write managed code in the Java language, controlling the device via Google-developed Java libraries