Android TV Player won't connect to WiFi.

Plazm

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
So I just got back from Dubai with a Tarsam v4.2 Android TV box for my dad as a replacement for his old v2.3 one. Everything works fine except for the WiFi (which essentially renders it useless).

The router name comes up and asks for a password, I enter it and it says "Connecting" and then "Saved" but it doesn't actually connect.

I've tried resetting the unit as well as my router and also trying to use my phone as a WiFi hotspot where the same issue occurs. I've also tried switching between WPA and WEP security but no dice.

The unit looks like this, http://ww.dealwinwin.com/wwwimages/product/I6/23/2013-07-17-2340355815.jpg just with the Tarsam branding.

Software version: 4.2.2
Firmware: v1.0
Build Number: sugar_ref001-eng 4.2.2 JDQ39 20131115 test-keys

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

P

promo87

Hmm.... that just looks weird ! I think there is some issue at the device end why I am saying this is because you have already used most of the tricks recommended for ! So, here I would say try giving a call to the support about the issue you are facing I would say they are the one who can help you out in a much better way on this !! :(

OP
P

Plazm

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Grrr, thanks anyway! Dunno how much support there is seeing as the brand of the unit is basically the store that I got it from and my e-mails have since gone unanswered. :/

P

promo87

Grrr, thanks anyway! Dunno how much support there is seeing as the brand of the unit is basically the store that I got it from and my e-mails have since gone unanswered. :/

Aww... support people aren't responding to emails :mad: try walking down over their store and give them a surprise :confused: tell them you don't want their product as its not working, I should say ask for refund.

OP
P

Plazm

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Aww... support people aren't responding to emails :mad: try walking down over their store and give them a surprise :confused: tell them you don't want their product as its not working, I should say ask for refund.

The big issue here is that the store is a 9 hour flight away. Do you think this is something that can be rectified with a software up/downgrade?

P

promo87

The big issue here is that the store is a 9 hour flight away. Do you think this is something that can be rectified with a software up/downgrade?
Aww... my gosh then I would say you are totally in the grace of customer support people ! If they are no going to respond back to your email then you are going to get .... otherwise I have nothing left to say :( I just ran out of suggestions.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Welcome to the Forum.

It so difficult to troubleshoot off brand devices. I would first go and set the router to WEP and then reboot.
I would do a factory reset and try connecting to the router. I do realize that you tried it, but I would do it again.

OP
P

Plazm

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Thanks so much for the help thus far, guys. I tried resetting the router and changing the security protocol again with no luck. I also tried connecting to an open, tethered hotspot hosted by my Galaxy S5 with the same "saved, secured" problem.

I remember reading that some hone users had problems with WiFi when initially upgrading to 4.2 so I'm thinking of installing a different version of Android but I'm really not sure where to begin and I don't want to brick the unit even though it's pretty much a write-off.

I've also tried factory resetting the unit with no luck.

P

promo87

Thanks so much for the help thus far, guys. I tried resetting the router and changing the security protocol again with no luck. I also tried connecting to an open, tethered hotspot hosted by my Galaxy S5 with the same "saved, secured" problem.

I remember reading that some hone users had problems with WiFi when initially upgrading to 4.2 so I'm thinking of installing a different version of Android but I'm really not sure where to begin and I don't want to brick the unit even though it's pretty much a write-off.

I've also tried factory resetting the unit with no luck.

Well, in this case I am not going to recommend you moving forward with it because, for installing the new ROM over your .. you need to root it down and rooting your device means the warranty of your device will get void ! Rest I'll leave this to you as I am not having exact idea about the ... :(