Android Top Choice Among Smartphone Buyers Recently

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
top-recent-mobile-OS.png

The subject pretty much summarizes it. Nielson just released data this morning showing that over the last 6 months, Android (and the respective phones, obviously) is the top OS choice among smartphone buyers. Nielson also makes it a point to note the fact that this includes a full month of iPhone 4 availability. Here is their article:
According to August data from The Nielsen Company, Android is now the most popular operating system among people who bought a smartphone in the past six months, while Blackberry RIM and Apple iOS are in a statistical dead heat for second place among recent acquirers.

The Nielsen data covers a period that includes a full-month of iPhone 4 availability. (The device became available at the end of June 2010).

Among all smartphone owners, Blackberry still holds the dominant share with 31 percent of the market, though its lead over Apple is declining. Twenty-eight percent of smartphone owners have Apple iPhones, compared to 19 percent who have Android devices.
So I'll keep this short and sweet and find out what you think. Is this solely because Android has exploded onto so many handsets as of late, or is there some substance to this report? Is this proof that Android is now a "household name" alongside Blackberry and the iPhone?

Source:
Android Most Popular Operating System in U.S. Among Recent Smartphone Buyers | Nielsen Wire

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
What
I really find interesting is the elimination of any Windows platform status!

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah it'll be interesting to see what, if any, impact WP7 will have when it comes out over the next few weeks. I honestly think it has some potential with the gargantuan marketing blitz they're supposedly planning. If they can pull it off successfully, they could actually make a dent.

everstar80

Reaction score
I believe that this is more proof that as for android devices, specifically the Motorola droid phones, the sky is the limit. As for the decline of apple, there's no surprise with the complaints that their owners have had recently.

everstar80

Reaction score
specifically the Motorola droid phones, the sky is the limit. QUOTE]

Please further explain.......................

Please don't get offended, i was thinking about the superphone slated to be released later this year. Htc has great phones the phones projected for them look amazing as well. But my devotion is to Motorola devices, that's what i prefer and i didn't intentionally leave the other android devices out.

chaz.ring

Reaction score
specifically the Motorola droid phones, the sky is the limit. QUOTE]

Please further explain.......................

Please don't get offended, i was thinking about the superphone slated to be released later this year. Htc has great phones the phones projected for them look amazing as well. But my devotion is to Motorola devices, that's what i prefer and i didn't intentionally leave the other android devices out.

no offense taken..... was more hoping you had some secret insider info to share..:)

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

Interesting article. In addition to the overall premise, three things stuck out at me, which I wish they had backed up a little better with a quote or a source or something:

1) "...Google also lets phone makers change the code and customize it so that an Android phone made by, say, Samsung has a different user interface than an Android phone from Motorola. Rubin believes this open-source model gives Google an advantage over rivals selling closed systems, like Apple..."
To me that's interesting because, unless I'm mistaken, it's the first we've "heard" (again, better sources!) from a lead engineer/developer on that topic. We knew recently that Schmidt took the perspective that Android's open-source nature was more about the manufacturers than the end users, but to "hear" a similar sounding sentiment from the main engineer makes me think that the open-source nature is meant almost strictly as a beneficial business decision, and not some altruistic ideal.​

2) To counter [fragmentation], Rubin and his team have created a compatibility test suite, a list of things a phone must have in order to carry the Android brand and to run Google applications like Google Maps. Rubin believes this will induce phone makers to keep all Android phones fundamentally compatible.
Again, maybe not news, but I had never heard that before. And that's good to hear that Google has some limitation on what they'll allow carriers to do to their OS.​

3) Right now Rubin’s engineers are putting the finishing touches on the next version of Android, code-named Gingerbread, which is scheduled to ship before the end of this year.
Again, wish he could back this up a bit more, but still good to hear. But I'll believe this when I see it!​

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea there is of course a huge discussion about this article on Engadget...lol

Its funny someone mention what happened to Win Mo in this thread. Cuz folks, like some are doing at Engadget, conveniently forget about WinMo and use the 1. vs. many argument.

Maybe ppl really have forgotten about Win Mo....LOL!!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yea there is of course a huge discussion about this article on Engadget...lol

Its funny someone mention what happened to Win Mo in this thread. Cuz folks, like some are doing at Engadget, conveniently forget about WinMo and use the 1. vs. many argument.

Maybe ppl really have forgotten about Win Mo....LOL!!

^ not sure if that was prophecy or coincidence?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
You know you're responding to a 6 year old thread?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You know you're responding to a 6 year old thread?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Prophecy usually takes a while to come to fruition and become prophecy

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><