Android to Gmail Sync

Rini666

Reaction score
I just got my Droid 2 about a week ago, and the Verizon employee did the backup assitant thing like they normally do, i made a gmail account there and they "took care of the rest." Upon getting home i checked my gmail and it says i have no contacts. I've synced my contacts with my gmail from my phone, but i can only see the calendar when i log into my gmail.
Even logging on to my verizon website and going to back up assistant contacts, it says i have 0 there as well and is stuck on a syncing/loading screen. I've synced my contacts with my gmail, but i can only see the calendar when i log into gmail.

Any idea of what's going on? Any help would be appreciated, thanks :)

pool_shark

Reaction score
Try this:

Menu - settings - accounts. Tap your google account and make sure the box for contacts is checked.

pool_shark

Reaction score
Ok.

Add the power control widget to a home screen and make sure the sync button is highlighted.

OP
R

Rini666

Reaction score
Ok.

Add the power control widget to a home screen and make sure the sync button is highlighted.

Always have that on my home sceen and sync has been highlighted.
I can change stuff on my gmail contacts, and it'll show up on my phone, but not vice versa.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I really dislike the fact that they use that back up to install contacts. I've seen this happen to a lot of people.

I think your solution unfortunately is to use Verizons backup for your contacts and then do a factory data reset. Try syncing the contacts again with Gmail.

Are you using anything other then Verizon for your contacts, like maybe outlook? If you are you can import the contacts as .csv files to gmail. Then it would sync for you that way.

I still think though that a factory data reset will have to be done.

OP
R

Rini666

Reaction score
I really dislike the fact that they use that back up to install contacts. I've seen this happen to a lot of people.

I think your solution unfortunately is to use Verizons backup for your contacts and then do a factory data reset. Try syncing the contacts again with Gmail.

Are you using anything other then Verizon for your contacts, like maybe outlook? If you are you can import the contacts as .csv files to gmail. Then it would sync for you that way.

I still think though that a factory data reset will have to be done.

Backup Assistant was already on my phone when they gave it to me, so i decided to give it a go and logged onto verizon, but it says 0 contacts and has a syncing symbol on the page and doesn't change.

I'm just using facebook for pictures/info, and my google account to try and send all my phone contacts over so they're backed up(since apparently backup assistant is bugged)

As for the factory reset, i rooted my droid, and im hoping to not have to reset and start over. :/

pool_shark

Reaction score
Backup assistant can be cleared and go back to a pre-setup status.

I exported my contacts out of Outlook as .vcf files and imported them directly onto my Droid. I didn't want to sync them with google so I deleted them out of google and turned of the contacts sync.

OP
R

Rini666

Reaction score
Backup assistant can be cleared and go back to a pre-setup status.

I exported my contacts out of Outlook as .vcf files and imported them directly onto my Droid. I didn't want to sync them with google so I deleted them out of google and turned of the contacts sync.

How would i clear backup assistant? i know that it can't be uninstalled or deleted. I've tried that, and i did notice there are 2 versions of it on my phone. 1.0 and 2.2. i can force close 1.0 but not 2.2. Idk, maybe there are supposed to be 2?
To clear backup assistant i would have to factory reset though right?

pool_shark

Reaction score
I used those steps to clear backup assistant on my Droid 2.

You must have skipped the good stuff.

2) Log into your My Verizon account. Go to the contacts tab, sort by list view and select all contacts. Delete the entire list. There's a deleted contacts tab as well. Select that and delete anything that's in there.

3) Go into your Incredible settings tab, select applications, manage applications. Do not sort or filter, allow list to populate. Select Sync Service, (icon resembles backup assistant icon) select clear data.

4) Also in manage applications scroll down to backup assistant, select clear data. This should do it.

5) To verify backup assistant is now disabled, select settings, accounts and sync, then under manage accounts, select backup assistant. You should be looking at a license agreement screen.

No more backup assistant, no factory reset.

OP
R

Rini666

Reaction score

2) Log into your My Verizon account. Go to the contacts tab, sort by list view and select all contacts. Delete the entire list. There's a deleted contacts tab as well. Select that and delete anything that's in there.

3) Go into your Incredible settings tab, select applications, manage applications. Do not sort or filter, allow list to populate. Select Sync Service, (icon resembles backup assistant icon) select clear data.

4) Also in manage applications scroll down to backup assistant, select clear data. This should do it.

5) To verify backup assistant is now disabled, select settings, accounts and sync, then under manage accounts, select backup assistant. You should be looking at a license agreement screen.

I'm unable to do ANYTHING on my verizon contacts page. It's all frozen when i click on that page, there's no list, no contacts, the links don't work.

And then i tried doing the sync service but couldnt find it on my droid 2. you sure that's not just an incredible thing?

pool_shark

Reaction score

I'm unable to do ANYTHING on my verizon contacts page. It's all frozen when i click on that page, there's no list, no contacts, the links don't work.

And then i tried doing the sync service but couldnt find it on my droid 2. you sure that's not just an incredible thing?

Did you try the steps to clear BU on your Droid?
Did you see the part where I said I did it on my Droid2?

OP
R

Rini666

Reaction score

Did you try the steps to clear BU on your Droid?
Did you see the part where I said I did it on my Droid2?

Yes i did try, i went to settings>applications>manage applications>sync service>clear data
then the next part when i got to manage apps>backup assistant i cant clear anything, there's no option for it