Android to drive a picture frame

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by tucansam, May 26, 2013.

1. tucansam

tucansam New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all.

I have an unused Droid X and I want to use it as the foundation for a picture frame. I built a picture frame out of an old laptop, and it works great, but I'd like to build a second one. The Droid X, with its HDMI output, seems perfectly suited for this task (low power, low heat, etc).

First question... The HDMI output on the phone -- will it only output 1920x1080? Will any old LCD monitor work, or do I need one that will support 720/1080?

Second question... Is there an app that will work as a slide show? I've read about a few, downloaded a few, and none seemed to be all that great. I'm using Xnview right now on the laptop picture frame (Windows XP) to great effect. What I'm looking for is an app that will load JPGs via wifi from a server (and check for new content as I upload more pics to the server) and display them via the HDMI output at a given interval. I wouldn't have a problem with the wifi option not existing, as I have a 16GB card for this phone, but I would like to be able to access the phone's SD card remotely (via wifi) for placing new content on it.

Does this sound like something that could be done?

Thanks.