Android: The new king of the mobile castle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guyute

Reaction score
Why am I an idiot? Because I use droid in short of android? I guess I'm an idiot then..
The iphone has been proven for years and the ANDROID OS is a new, just as windows 7 phone os is as well..The android needs approving with alot of things...first of the copy and paste issue that is finally starting to make an appearance..

Let me ask if you ever had something that constantly messes up? Sooner or later you get tired of fighting with it, and begin to hate it. But I guess that don't happen to you since you are so perfect!!! Yeah Whatever!!

I've had two android phones and both have been POS...The first one the D1 no copy and paste for one...then I started to get emails that have been deleted over and over again, from both the phone and the email account. My girlfriend has the same phone and guess what..The problems exist on it, my friend has the same phone, with the same problems. You know what she got from the Verizon tech and every other tech we have talked to about it ...and I quote. "We don't have problems with the droid, millions of people have the same phone and they don't report it!" unquote.

Maybe its because they have never reported it or they have never had the problem..WHo knows? Truthfully, I don't really care...It also froze alot and had to pull the battery..

My second phone is the droid X. When I first got it, loved it. been out what 2 months maybe 3. and already its freezes constantly, having to pull the battery. The screen quits. and the same things goes for tech...We don't have problems with the droid operating system.

With froyo, it has gotten worse...Do I hate the android os? Yes and No..

But it does need approving...Just because sells are off the chart, doesn't make it a great phone...Just makes google and verizon doing their job selling a product.

So say what you want about me...don't really care...

You should consider bringing your phone to a VZW store and have them wipe it down and install a freash froyo, or you can try it yourself. If you still have problems VZW will give you a new DX. I say this because I have a DX (since lauch) and this phone runs like a dream. I check the web, send tx messages, run some apps, read some articles on my fox news app, make phone calls, play some games and get e/m's everyday and the phone runs perfectly and smoothly now with froyo. It never shuts down on it's own and I have never once had to pull the battery. You clearly have a problem with your DX, you can take some action and have a great phone like mine, or you can keep complaining on the forums and do nothing and still have the same problems. It's all up to you because I can assure you the DX can be a very capable device. My close friend actually got rid of his Iphone 3gs, decided not to get the iphone 4 and left AT&T after he got a chance to play around with my DX. Now he's with big red and loves his DX.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
call me crazy but i HIGHLY doubt Verizon reps are going to push droids over iphones by using LTE as a selling point. the iphone will be the "new" product, and it will undoubtedly be the product of a ridiculous advertising blitz. So if a customer comes into the store, reps are not going to tell them "don't buy the iphone get the droid". Your VZW store, if it does that has very odd sales protocol. Verizon knows an iPhone on their network will get them sales numbers that were before unseen. No chance they'll ask their managers to push LTE over the iPhone. LTE won't have any benefit for at least a year since it'll be limited, if i wanted an iphone (which I don't and never will), telling me about LTE wouldn't change my mind.

VZW reps don't work on commission. They have sales targets, but you're delusional to think they won't be pushing LTE. The speeds of LTE are a big selling point, and 2/3 of VZW's market has LTE at launch. Don't think for one minute that a new customer who might go to Sprint or AT&T isn't getting the LTE pitch. Their job is to tell a customer about all their phones, even find the right fit. The goal is that service contract. LTE is VZW service that differentiates them, phones are phones. They're not doing their job if people leave that store without knowing about LTE.

Let's not forget that Jobs wants to control the purchases experience. My guess is the IPhone won't be sold in VZW stores. IMO Jobs doesn't want to go toe-to-toe with Android. There are a lot of marginal customers he can get to the IPhone store that will buy that would otherwise be lost when they start doing comparisons with Android.

What I meant was they're not going to do an all out media blitz if the iphone comes (and they will do one) and then try to convince people to get a droid when they come in for the iphone. Naturally LTE is going to be pitched, when the time for it to be pitched comes. Do you think VZW is going to run iPhone ads in parallel to LTE ads? No way. If the iPhone comes to VZW their first order of business will be to milk as many sales out of that as possible. Not throw it to the side and say "you could get that iPhone, but check out LTE!!"...no chance.

Darkseider

Reaction score
i love my D1, but it hardly just "works" out of the box. i can't imagine going back to stock processor speed after i've overclocked. and even with the overclock there's still residual lag. same with EVERY android device out there regardless of its processor. None have the fluidity and simplicity that the iPhone has and that's what makes the iPhone such a coveted product.

i dont know...the people i know dont know much about specs and features...they're the average consumer...they go with the marketing (that doesn't make them dumb it makes them human).

i don't know anyone who says "Can't wait for LTE to get here!!" or "Isn't it great we can root our droids??!" Not saying there's not alot of people like that out there, but the average consumer doesnt care about such things, and probably doesn't even know about such things.

what they do know is the cool apple commercials with a catchy tune and the "there's an app for that" crap...it is what it is. the iphone (and ipod) don't sell because of its specs, it sells because of how its marketed as the "it" phone.

i know so many people who have droids (and love them) who still say they're switching if vzw ever gets an iphone. i dont know anyone (except myself) whos staying with android regardless of whether iphone comes to VZW or not.

again, the average consumer (average in the sense of tech "knowledge") is the majority of the consumers. they don't care about processors, and widgets and open source, and custom ROMs. They care about "we have 300,000 apps in our app store!" and "i can integrate with iTunes!!"...believe me.

Android will take a small hit and nothing to even worry about when the iPhone wits VZW in 2012. Currently outside the US the iPhone is offered on a multitude of carriers yet Android is outselling the iPhone in those territories. That speaks volumes. Oh and another thing to remember is that the majority of iPhone sales on VZW will be existing AT&T customers running to VZW for better service. Lastly by the time the iPhone hits VZW the dual core Android superphones will be out and the iPhone will become an "also ran" really quick. My oldest son, who is 11, wants an Archos 7. The funny thing is he turned down an iPad 3 weeks ago. Why? Simple, in his own words, "I want it because it is Android and can do so much more than an iPad. Besides I already have an iPod and barely use it anyway."

People are waking up and seeing that there are not only alternatives to the iP/hone/ad/od but the alternatives are superior in every way, shape and form.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Android will take a small hit and nothing to even worry about when the iPhone wits VZW in 2012. Currently outside the US the iPhone is offered on a multitude of carriers yet Android is outselling the iPhone in those territories. That speaks volumes. Oh and another thing to remember is that the majority of iPhone sales on VZW will be existing AT&T customers running to VZW for better service. Lastly by the time the iPhone hits VZW the dual core Android superphones will be out and the iPhone will become an "also ran" really quick. My oldest son, who is 11, wants an Archos 7. The funny thing is he turned down an iPad 3 weeks ago. Why? Simple, in his own words, "I want it because it is Android and can do so much more than an iPad. Besides I already have an iPod and barely use it anyway."

People are waking up and seeing that there are not only alternatives to the iP/hone/ad/od but the alternatives are superior in every way, shape and form.

I've used this word before and I'll use it again...baffling haha. Baffling how some people think. in Q2 2010 there were 20+ android devices available for purchase overseas and 10.6million (give or take) have been sold? Whereas there is ONE iPhone and 8.7 million have been sold overseas. How are you not realizing what the means?? How can you possibly be saying that that is a true apples-to-apples comparison (pun intended). There are TWENTY android devices vs. ONE apple device and they're only separated by less then 2 million units sold. There is no comparison really. One device has nearly equaled the sales in one quarter of over 20 devices COMBINED. Android appears to be "catching up" because of the number of devices available. I just don't get how people just ignore that fact...it makes zero sense.

Apple sold 40M phones in their 2010 fiscal year. 40M. That's a 93 PERCENT increase over their 2009 fiscal year. One device.

You've gotta be kidding me if you think that a VZW iphone is not going to break every sales record known to man for smartphones haha...yes AT&T users will be switching, but that's irrelevant. A sale is a sale. AT&T users could have switched to Android if all they wanted was a better network. They haven't.

The comparison between iPhone and Android is almost nonexistent. iPhone is the most successful phone in history and its going to add to that reputation if it comes to VZW (I don't care if it's 2011, or 2050). Android is going to take a hit. A HUGE hit. How people fail to realize the magnitude of a VZW iPhone is beyond me.

And your son wants an Archos 7 over an iPad because he's your son. You're trying to tell me you had no influence on you're 11 year old son's decision making? C'mon man...

Darkseider

Reaction score

I've used this word before and I'll use it again...baffling haha. Baffling how some people think. in Q2 2010 there were 20+ android devices available for purchase overseas and 10.6million (give or take) have been sold? Whereas there is ONE iPhone and 8.7 million have been sold overseas. How are you not realizing what the means?? How can you possibly be saying that that is a true apples-to-apples comparison (pun intended). There are TWENTY android devices vs. ONE apple device and they're only separated by less then 2 million units sold. There is no comparison really. One device has nearly equaled the sales in one quarter of over 20 devices COMBINED. Android appears to be "catching up" because of the number of devices available. I just don't get how people just ignore that fact...it makes zero sense.

Apple sold 40M phones in their 2010 fiscal year. 40M. That's a 93 PERCENT increase over their 2009 fiscal year. One device.

You've gotta be kidding me if you think that a VZW iphone is not going to break every sales record known to man for smartphones haha...yes AT&T users will be switching, but that's irrelevant. A sale is a sale. AT&T users could have switched to Android if all they wanted was a better network. They haven't.

The comparison between iPhone and Android is almost nonexistent. iPhone is the most successful phone in history and its going to add to that reputation if it comes to VZW (I don't care if it's 2011, or 2050). Android is going to take a hit. A HUGE hit. How people fail to realize the magnitude of a VZW iPhone is beyond me.

And your son wants an Archos 7 over an iPad because he's your son. You're trying to tell me you had no influence on you're 11 year old son's decision making? C'mon man...

Apple's faux numbers. YAY! According to multiple sources, WSJ, IDG, CNet and PC World and the average taken from their reports show that 73% of all iPhone 4 sales were upgrades of existing iPhones. Yes a sale is a sale but the market share it is a shrinking! As for comparing the ONE iPhone to multiple Android handsets, the Samsung Galaxy S line has already sold more than 5 million handsets worldwide. That and the comparison is completely valid.

This is the story of Apple who had a Mac. The Mac was a great little PRODUCT that they controlled both hardware and software and Apple was king of the mountain and had the market by the sack. Along came MSFT and offered Windows as a PLATFORM to multiple vendors that ran on varying hardware. Now where does the Mac stand? Same thing is happening and will continue to happen with Android and the iPhone. Plain and simple Google is doing exactly what MS did and is taking away share from Apple every minute of every day regardless of what Apple does and what carrier they offer their PRODUCT on. Why? Simple. History will repeat itself and show that a PLATFORM that can run on various hardware from various manufacturers across the full spectrum of cost and features and available on EVERY carrier will always trump and squash a single locked down PRODUCT regardless of who chooses to sell it.

This will be even more pronounced in 2011 with the introduction of the Android superphones and tablets as well as Gingerbread, Honeycomb and Android 4.0 (Ice Cream?). Where Apple will offer a product with small incremental upgrades to hardware and a locked down, inflexible, feature poor OS compared to its' competitors. History is just repeating itself and instead of MS kicking Apple in the nads it's Google.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Apple's faux numbers. YAY! According to multiple sources, WSJ, IDG, CNet and PC World and the average taken from their reports show that 73% of all iPhone 4 sales were upgrades of existing iPhones. Yes a sale is a sale but the market share it is a shrinking! As for comparing the ONE iPhone to multiple Android handsets, the Samsung Galaxy S line has already sold more than 5 million handsets worldwide. That and the comparison is completely valid.

This is the story of Apple who had a Mac. The Mac was a great little PRODUCT that they controlled both hardware and software and Apple was king of the mountain and had the market by the sack. Along came MSFT and offered Windows as a PLATFORM to multiple vendors that ran on varying hardware. Now where does the Mac stand? Same thing is happening and will continue to happen with Android and the iPhone. Plain and simple Google is doing exactly what MS did and is taking away share from Apple every minute of every day regardless of what Apple does and what carrier they offer their PRODUCT on. Why? Simple. History will repeat itself and show that a PLATFORM that can run on various hardware from various manufacturers across the full spectrum of cost and features and available on EVERY carrier will always trump and squash a single locked down PRODUCT regardless of who chooses to sell it.

This will be even more pronounced in 2011 with the introduction of the Android superphones and tablets as well as Gingerbread, Honeycomb and Android 4.0 (Ice Cream?). Where Apple will offer a product with small incremental upgrades to hardware and a locked down, inflexible, feature poor OS compared to its' competitors. History is just repeating itself and instead of MS kicking Apple in the nads it's Google.

Ah the Galaxy S LINE. Are you referring to the Fascinate, Epic, Vibrant, Captivate and Mesmerise? FIVE phones that have sold 5 million combined? Show me one individual android phone that has outsold the iPhone. You know what, that's unfair. Show me 15 android phones combined that have outsold the iphone haha. Are you proving my point or yours? I think you're proving mine. No matter how you stack it, the iPhone outsells every individual phone and every phone combined. You can call it "faux" numbers (which is just ignorance) but it is what it is.

Now let's examine how you've proven my point some more in your post: "Market share is a shrinking!"...yes. I know. I said that already. I also said why. Thanks. Again.

the iphone if it comes to VZW will run on various hardware on various carriers...so....who's squashing who and how? And you're suggesting that the highest selling phone of all time is going to somehow lose market share when it makes itself more available? Awesome. I love my Droid and would never get an iPhone but come on...seriously?

In 2011, you mean when there'll most probably be another 40 or some odd android phones released and there'll still be just one iPhone? Yes, I'm certain android sales numbers will pass the iphone then. Again...you don't have to be a genius to figure out why (although apparently you do have to be a genius, because you dont seem to get it...)

if there was one Android phone, even if it was on every carrier in the United States it wouldn't outsell the iPhone. It's hilarious how 40+ phones vs 1 is supposed to be an accurate measure of market share

Darkseider

Reaction score

ZERO influence. I have a hands off policy with my kids and technology and let them decide ever since I did my experiment with my daughter. One year I gave her a hand me down laptop and installed Ubuntu on it. I told her her username and password and that was it. She asked a few questions about where to get software so I showed her and from there she went on her merry way and did everything herself, she was 13 at the time.

A year later the laptop died and I bought her a new one for Christmas with Windows Vista on it. After about 2 weeks of using the laptop she came and asked me to put Ubuntu back on it. I asked why and she responded. I don't have to deal with all this anti-virus stuff and all these pop-ups and other stuff and it's faster. So I proceeded to put Ubuntu on the laptop which she still has today but it is running 10.10 which by the way she upgraded herself. She can't stand working in the computer lab in high school because she is forced into using Windows and it drives her nuts that she is half as productive on newer, more powerful desktops that she is on her laptop all due to the choice of OS.

My son is no different. My wife gave up her iPhone for a Backflip and she will by her own words NEVER go back to an iPhone and is looking forward to the 2.1 update on the Backflip to come in so I can root it afterwards and remove all the AT&T crapware. My youngest son, who also has an iPod touch, wants an Archos 43. Thing is is that I NEVER told them what an Archos 43 or 70 was. They looked it up themselves, compared it to the current Apple offerings and have seen through their little 10 and 11 year old eyes what the better product is overall. You'd be surprised what happens when you let kids do a little research and make the choice on their own what they will pick.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
ZERO influence. I have a hands off policy with my kids and technology and let them decide ever since I did my experiment with my daughter. One year I gave her a hand me down laptop and installed Ubuntu on it. I told her her username and password and that was it. She asked a few questions about where to get software so I showed her and from there she went on her merry way and did everything herself, she was 13 at the time.

A year later the laptop died and I bought her a new one for Christmas with Windows Vista on it. After about 2 weeks of using the laptop she came and asked me to put Ubuntu back on it. I asked why and she responded. I don't have to deal with all this anti-virus stuff and all these pop-ups and other stuff and it's faster. So I proceeded to put Ubuntu on the laptop which she still has today but it is running 10.10 which by the way she upgraded herself. She can't stand working in the computer lab in high school because she is forced into using Windows and it drives her nuts that she is half as productive on newer, more powerful desktops that she is on her laptop all due to the choice of OS.

My son is no different. My wife gave up her iPhone for a Backflip and she will by her own words NEVER go back to an iPhone and is looking forward to the 2.1 update on the Backflip to come in so I can root it afterwards and remove all the AT&T crapware. My youngest son, who also has an iPod touch, wants an Archos 43. Thing is is that I NEVER told them what an Archos 43 or 70 was. They looked it up themselves, compared it to the current Apple offerings and have seen through their little 10 and 11 year old eyes what the better product is overall. You'd be surprised what happens when you let kids do a little research and make the choice on their own what they will pick.

I use Ubuntu too. Windows is a horrific OS, and the only reason I still have it is for RSDLite.

So your daughter uses Ubuntu cuz it's more user friendly then Windows right? Interesting concept. I still can't figure out why the iPhone sells so much...oh...wait...

if you really have no influence in their tech decisions that's awesome, but you seem to once again be proving what i'm saying. the average consumer is going to want what works, and what's easy. Ubuntu just works. Windows doesn't just work. a good example was with my old printer that i dug out of a closet the other week. plugged it into my windows box and it started asking for drivers and disks and downloads and all this other crap. plugged it into my linux box and it worked "out of the box".

Same with the iPhone...it just works, and that's why it sells. I love my Droid because I took the time to root it, and overclock it and theme it and make it my own. I can honestly say that if I was forced to stay at 550 clock speed, I would be pissed off at the phone. If I go back to 550 just to test, the phone becomes unusable. That's what made me love the droid more. cuz i had the option to do it. But not many people do that (and I know you think like 15% of android owners root and theme or something...clearly they don't). And for the people who don't do it (and don't know what it even is), the iPhone is the best phone.

Darkseider

Reaction score

Ah the Galaxy S LINE. Are you referring to the Fascinate, Epic, Vibrant, Captivate and Mesmerise? FIVE phones that have sold 5 million combined? Show me one individual android phone that has outsold the iPhone. You know what, that's unfair. Show me 15 android phones combined that have outsold the iphone haha. Are you proving my point or yours? I think you're proving mine. No matter how you stack it, the iPhone outsells every individual phone and every phone combined. You can call it "faux" numbers (which is just ignorance) but it is what it is.

Now let's examine how you've proven my point some more in your post: "Market share is a shrinking!"...yes. I know. I said that already. I also said why. Thanks. Again.

the iphone if it comes to VZW will run on various hardware on various carriers...so....who's squashing who and how? And you're suggesting that the highest selling phone of all time is going to somehow lose market share when it makes itself more available? Awesome. I love my Droid and would never get an iPhone but come on...seriously?

In 2011, you mean when there'll most probably be another 40 or some odd android phones released and there'll still be just one iPhone? Yes, I'm certain android sales numbers will pass the iphone then. Again...you don't have to be a genius to figure out why (although apparently you do have to be a genius, because you dont seem to get it...)

if there was one Android phone, even if it was on every carrier in the United States it wouldn't outsell the iPhone. It's hilarious how 40+ phones vs 1 is supposed to be an accurate measure of market share

LOL. Android is outselling the iPhone almost two to one worldwide at the moment. It is a perfectly valid comparison no matter how you want to skew it. Apple chose their market stance and will die by it this just like they did with the Mac. As for the iPhone coming to Verzion it still won't be various hardware. It will be the SAME exact phone with a different antenna. No qwerty, no 3.7", 4.0", 4.3" nothing. Just the same old iPhone on a different carrier. No different than when Apple sold their Macs through select resellers before allowing Best Buy and the like to carry their Macs. Nothing Apple can do from this point on will change the outcome of the mobile landscape. They will continue to sell iPhones but their market share will continue to shrink and their overall sales will begin to dwindle same as the Mac.

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i think you two are talking about two different things in debating market share: darkseider is talking about software/OS and czerdrill is talking about hardware/phones. the thread, and the market analysts, all focus on OS sales - iOS vs. Android vs. RIM vs Windows, regardless of what kind of "case" it comes in.

and if you are going to just talk about phones, imo you can't lump all iPhone sales together and then compare to sales of just D1, or DX, or whatever, since the iPhone actually comprises 3 different phone iterations - iPhone, iPhone 3g, and iPhone 4.

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
for some reason, i can't edit my own post... :)
i think you two are talking about two different things in debating market share: darkseider is talking about software/OS and czerdrill is talking about hardware/phones. the thread, and the market analysts, all focus on OS sales - iOS vs. Android vs. RIM vs Windows, regardless of what kind of "case" it comes in.

and if you are going to just talk about phones, imo you can't lump all iPhone sales together and then compare to sales of just D1, or DX, or whatever, since the iPhone actually consists of 3 different phone iterations - iPhone, iPhone 3g, and iPhone 4.

Darkseider

Reaction score

and if you are going to just talk about phones, imo you can't lump all iPhone sales together and then compare to sales of just D1, or DX, or whatever, since the iPhone actually comprises 4 different phone iterations - iPhone, iPhone 3g, iPhone 3gs and iPhone 4.

Fixed! dancedroid

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

and if you are going to just talk about phones, imo you can't lump all iPhone sales together and then compare to sales of just D1, or DX, or whatever, since the iPhone actually comprises 3 different phone iterations - iPhone, iPhone 3g, and iPhone 4.

i'm talking about software and why software leads to higher sales for iphone. iphone software is about as user friendly as it gets and that's what people want, and that's why it outsells all other android phones in the US combined.

and ok, you're right let's not lump them together. let's compare the iphone 3g to the D1, or the iphone4 to the DX...iphone will still come out on top. that's my point. we see such a close race in android vs iphone numbers because there are so many android devices out there. however, no matter what way you slice it, 1 vs 20, 1 vs 1, 1 iteration vs 1, the iphone comes out on top (even in the 1 vs 20 because being only 2 million units down is quite a feat)

@darkseider, i'm beginning to become convinced that you're playing devil's advocate or really are just a fanboy (i hate using that word) because you've abandoned all reason and facts and are blindly just stating the same thing over and over again. i'm showing you numbers, you're saying things like "people everywhere are realizing android is tops"

and your saying it's the "same ole" iphone? the same old iphone has been the same old iphone for 3 years and sells records every year. the same old iphone must be doing something right.

think of it like this...if we were both salesmen, and you were only allowed to sell one crappy item (as you say the iphone is), and i had a huge inventory of great items to sell (as you say the androids are), would it be fair for me to boast that i'm the better salesman when i clearly will outsell you? any normal person would say no (you? might say yes based on all your posts so far haha). honestly if i was able to sell 1M great items and you sold 800,000 "crappy" items, i'd be inclined to think you were the better salesman. yet, in this case, android is steamrolling the iphone or showing the world that the iphone is not a great item? what??

Darkseider

Reaction score

i'm talking about software and why software leads to higher sales for iphone. iphone software is about as user friendly as it gets and that's what people want, and that's why it outsells all other android phones in the US combined.

and ok, you're right let's not lump them together. let's compare the iphone 3g to the D1, or the iphone4 to the DX...iphone will still come out on top. that's my point. we see such a close race in android vs iphone numbers because there are so many android devices out there. however, no matter what way you slice it, 1 vs 20, 1 vs 1, 1 iteration vs 1, the iphone comes out on top (even in the 1 vs 20 because being only 2 million units down is quite a feat)

@darkseider, i'm beginning to become convinced that you're playing devil's advocate or really are just a fanboy (i hate using that word) because you've abandoned all reason and facts and are blindly just stating the same thing over and over again. i'm showing you numbers, you're saying things like "people everywhere are realizing android is tops"

and your saying it's the "same ole" iphone? the same old iphone has been the same old iphone for 3 years and sells records every year. the same old iphone must be doing something right.

think of it like this...if we were both salesmen, and you were only allowed to sell one crappy item (as you say the iphone is), and i had a huge inventory of great items to sell (as you say the androids are), would it be fair for me to boast that i'm the better salesman when i clearly will outsell you? any normal person would say no (you? might say yes based on all your posts so far haha). honestly if i was able to sell 1M great items and you sold 800,000 "crappy" items, i'd be inclined to think you were the better salesman. yet, in this case, android is steamrolling the iphone or showing the world that the iphone is not a great item? what??

It is the same old iPhone. The record it sets every year for sales is null and moot regardless of the numbers sold. Apple is still losing its' marketshare at a rapid pace in the mobile market. For the first time ever, just last week, Android has eclipsed Apple in ad revenue from mobile devices. This is just the beginning. Apple's numbers are very misleading, you're just going to have to trust me on this one, because Apple is doing what it can to save what they have left of the market by eluding to a great market share based on quarterly earnings. When in reality the opposite holds true no matter where you look for those numbers. IDG, CNet, etc... ANY and all companies that actually have an ability to track these numbers and metrics all show that the iPhone and iOS in general is in a declining state. Just recently there was an excellent article, the source escapes me, that intimated that the mobile landscape will be dominated by Android and WP7 within the next two years. With Android taking approx. 40%, WP7 taking 30% and leaving the remainder to be split amongst Palm, Apple and RIM.

I am not being a fanboy by any stretch. I know a winner when I see a winner. Android hands down is the best choice for mobile OS. Regardless if it is a smartphone, PMP, tablet, Google TV, etc... It provides the best in features and flexibility across multiple platforms and because it spans all these platforms offers a very tight user experience when using or switching between these platforms. The same cannot be said of Apple unfortunately because again. Apple offers a product where Google offers a platform that can be built and modified to suit whatever the situation is.

If you doubt the Android tablet thing, PLEASE don't use the Galaxy Tab as an example, then look at the releases within the next one to two weeks. The Archos 70 and Archos 101 as well as the Elocity A7. As for PMPs there is the Samsung PMP-50 and the Archos 32 and Archos 43. These devices will start to displace the iPod/Pad and when the next iteration of these devices are released Q2/Q3 next year as well as the higher end tablets Apple will once again begin to lose share and sales.

Same can be said of Google TV and Apple TV. There is no real comparison between the two. Dollar for dollar the Google TV experience is far superior to Apple TV. Not only that but again, multiple manufacturers, are offering Google TV right now let alone this time next year.

Apple has rested on its' laurels far too long and has become complacent. Unfortunately for them, fortunately for Google, Android is now becoming the defacto standard in mobile computing.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you ask me and I know no one did, apple's stagnation will be it's downfall. They are complacent to make minimal changes when releasing new phones and trying to use that to justify the sale price. Call me a fanboy but the open source nature of android allows many different people to get their hands on it and make changes that might not be right for some but may be right for others. Only time will tell how the market will shift if/when iphone comes to verizon but I personally think it will be good for android. Motorola Samsung HTC etc will not just give up on the android platform especially since they will have no way of making money from the iphone so it will push them to make better hardware backed by superior software.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Status
Not open for further replies.