Android the least open of open source mobile platforms

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
As someone who has long been saying that Android is far from open, I thought this was interesting. Putting my flamesuit on haha, but it pretty much touches on everything I've ever said about the "openness" of Android in the past including how Google controls everything that goes into Android, how they don't release source code until they are ready, and how community collaboration is nonexistent (regardless of their "submit a bug and we'll put it into the newest version" claim):

Study: Android is least open of open source mobile platforms

Big Ry

Reaction score
As someone who has long been saying that Android is far from open, I thought this was interesting. Putting my flamesuit on haha, but it pretty much touches on everything I've ever said about the "openness" of Android in the past including how Google controls everything that goes into Android, how they don't release source code until they are ready, and how community collaboration is nonexistent (regardless of their "submit a bug and we'll put it into the newest version" claim):

Have you ever made a post in any thread that wasn't anti-android? Seriously, youre not going to convince anyone here to buy an iphone, so why waste the time. Its beyond old at this point...

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

OP
czerdrill

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Have you ever made a post in any thread that wasn't anti-android? Seriously, youre not going to convince anyone here to buy an iphone, so why waste the time. Its beyond old at this point...

How is this anti android? In a thread about open source mobile os's where neither apple nor the iphone was bought up the convo sways that way...talk about inferiority complexes. I'll make sure my future threads are all about sugar plums, fairies and android...

Last edited:

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
As much as I do like Android, one has to see that the "open source" claim is not meant for the community. Its a marketing scheme. Its open for the OEMs to use for free. No licensing fees to pay. Android was setup to get Google into the mobile market in a big way. Its worked. Android is everywhere.

end of line...

OP
czerdrill

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
As much as I do like Android, one has to see that the "open source" claim is not meant for the community. Its a marketing scheme. Its open for the OEMs to use for free. No licensing fees to pay. Android was setup to get Google into the mobile market in a big way. Its worked. Android is everywhere.

end of line...

Exactly...google set up a way for multiple vendors to sell multiple phones at cheap prices. Nothing wrong with that of course, it's whats made android the beast it is, but it's always funny when you see someone boasting about open source without even realizing what they're talking about.

the funny thing is with the apache license google is not even required to release the source, save the kernel, but ppl still go crazy screaming "open source!" as if they are privy to all things android.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

To me what is beyond old is anytime someone posts something that doesn't agree with the android community everyone starts screaming "heresy or apple fanboy". God forbid someone post something like this.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
As much as I like android too, every time I read one of these, it makes me think of this:

[video=youtube;n7U1e4B_iI8]http://youtu.be/n7U1e4B_iI8]‪The new "Don't Be Evil" google video - Final Version.mp4‬‏ - YouTube[/video]