Android Tablets Chew 30% Out of iPad's Marketshare

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
No I meant who's actually selling these tablets...it's one thing to have them on sale but someone or some tablet has to be selling pretty nicely for the market to have a 4500% increase YOY....my point is that this report is only talking about shipments. there's no way android tablet share is 30% or even close. How could it be? No tablet has come remotely close to matching iPads success, and all of them as a collective unit are outsold by the iPad quite handedly. So where is this 4500% increase coming from?

Isn't the market for tablets doubling or tripling this year? And there are now how many more Android options out there? A key difference with smartphones is also you don't have nearly the same issue with Android adoption.

Asus can't make enough tablets, something like 400k of the Transformer alone which would be 5M units for the year (but probably only 1-1.5M to date). The Xoom grossly underperformed expectations, but they've still sold a bunch. Same goes for the Galaxy tabs.

There's a lot of tablets out there. Unless their shipments number is wrong, there simply isn't going to be 15M shipped while only a few million have sold. Maybe they erred on the shipments, but it's not very logical to think sales aren't tracking pretty closely with shipments. Even if only 2/3 are selling, that would still be 20%. Question the accuracy of the shipments number, but implying that 80-90% of these aren't selling just isn't very rational.

debdroid1a

Reaction score
...like i said who's selling all those tablets?
Kmart had some cheap tablets that they couldn't keep in stock. A lady that I follow on twitter picked one up and her and her daughter loved it. Toys R Us is selling Android tablets.
Walmart sells them.
Target sells them.
Amazon sells them.
And various other online "stores".

Not saying all these tablets are great. In fact, wasn't there something about Augen company disappearing...:icon_eek:... that's the cheap one kmart had for under $200.

No I meant who's actually selling these tablets...it's one thing to have them on sale but someone or some tablet has to be selling pretty nicely for the market to have a 4500% increase YOY....my point is that this report is only talking about shipments. there's no way android tablet share is 30% or even close. How could it be? No tablet has come remotely close to matching iPads success, and all of them as a collective unit are outsold by the iPad quite handedly. So where is this 4500% increase coming from?

These are posts where people on this forum said they bought an Android Tablet:

People went and got this deal:
Acer Iconia Tab A500 For $400 From Target + $50 Giftcard Starting July 17th

Or this deal:
Staples Offers $100 Off Coupon for Tablet Purchases

Or they took the staples coupon and got the Acer Iconia Tab
Target's Amazing Sale: Acer Iconia A500 Tab for Only $350 Bucks!

Or bought a different tab all together
Toshiba Thrive Tablet On Sale at Best Buy Sunday; Already on Newegg for $430

These are the most recent that I've read.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

Or this deal:

That supports Czerdrill's point about them not selling, but it also shows they ARE selling just having to be heavily discounted to move units. If they were really selling that poorly or unprofitable, orders would have fallen off a cliff and thus so would shipments. So either the shipments number is wrong (entirely possible), or they are in fact being moved (and the IPad production issues is probably a big reason why).

debdroid1a

Reaction score

Or this deal:

That supports Czerdrill's point about them not selling, but it also shows they ARE selling just having to be heavily discounted to move units. If they were really selling that poorly or unprofitable, orders would have fallen off a cliff and thus so would shipments. So either the shipments number is wrong (entirely possible), or they are in fact being moved (and the IPad production issues is probably a big reason why).

Umm.. Everything in the universe is put on sale eventually. I remember ads for the iPhone 3gs for $99 (just recently when the i4 went to Verizon). So it's no wonder tablets go on sale. I want something on sale or at a reasonable price. I think everyone wants a deal. Nothing wrong with that.
This means they are selling.
If you look at some of those posts and others, some got the deal because that's what everyone wants. One even went back to BB and asked if they would honor the coupon for a tablet they all ready bought NOT on sale. BB did that.
Again, I see no problem with sales or deals. If you want to pay full price, go for it.

On another board for those who aren't computer techies (well some might be), they asked which Android talbe they have, these were the replies (again, sold items):
Acer Iconia 10-inch
Archos
Asus
Galaxy Tab 10-inch
Galaxy Tab 8.9
Galaxy Tab 7-inch
Gome Flytouch II - Rooted
HTC EVO View
HTC Flyer
Nook Color - rooted (B&N)
Notion Ink Adam
Viewsonic gTablet 10-inch
Xoom (Motorola)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
But the 3GS and even IPad1 went on sale AFTER newer Apple models were out. Some of those sales are on pretty new items, so it is an indicator of lackluster sales. Not that Apple is the best comparison because I doubt they would allow any such offers on the IPad - you don't retain premium market positioning when retailers offer discounts to move inventory.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Isn't the market for tablets doubling or tripling this year? And there are now how many more Android options out there? A key difference with smartphones is also you don't have nearly the same issue with Android adoption.

Asus can't make enough tablets, something like 400k of the Transformer alone which would be 5M units for the year (but probably only 1-1.5M to date). The Xoom grossly underperformed expectations, but they've still sold a bunch. Same goes for the Galaxy tabs.

There's a lot of tablets out there. Unless their shipments number is wrong, there simply isn't going to be 15M shipped while only a few million have sold. Maybe they erred on the shipments, but it's not very logical to think sales aren't tracking pretty closely with shipments. Even if only 2/3 are selling, that would still be 20%. Question the accuracy of the shipments number, but implying that 80-90% of these aren't selling just isn't very rational.

But where are you getting "they still sold a bunch" from? Motorola hasn't released XOOM sales numbers, nor has Samsung on the galaxy tab. The only number we have on the Galaxy tab is Samsung's "2 million" which they already admitted were shipments, and then they declined to give an exact number on sales. For the XOOM, we know that 250,000 were shipped, but again Moto declined to give an exact sell-out number. Those indicate that these tablets, which are admittedly the most marketed ones (at least in the US) have paltry sales (if they sold out or sold 90% of shipped, wouldn't they announce it?). Like I said a 4500% increase is wholly unbelievable based on the numbers (or lack thereof) of the "heavily" marketed Gtab and Xoom. Are the other tablets picking up the slack? If so, why aren't we hearing about them?

That's not to say that Android tablets wont eventually take a huge chunk of share, but there is no logical reason why they would be at 30% share right now. That's just ridiculous.

alboboy10

Reaction score
People may not be giving android tablets a chance because let's be honest...people aren't that bright and they're followers, they'd rather pay twice the price for a product that's just advertised a lot.

Android devices might be selling for cheap so they can hook people with their low prices and in the long run increase prices, when people begin to understand the good things about android. Same thing happened with phones as well. Plenty of android phones right now sell as much as the top of the line iphone.

I love the transformer the only thing that bothers me is that u sort of need the dock...no usb port but from what I understand at least there's a sd card slot. No hdmi, just a mini hdmi which u probably have to buy on your own. I also like file manager on the toshiba which u can probably get from the market on transformer. Rooting is also a concern, I read in the forum from someone that transformer is harder to root.

But as far as numbers go who cares...android wasn't that hot two years ago but now 600,000 devices are activated a day.

Google never loses.