Android Tablets Chew 30% Out of iPad's Marketshare

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
tablet_Andoid_strategy_analytics.png

A new study from Strategy Analytics indicates that Android tablets have finally started to take a bite out of the fruit of the iPad. According to their numbers, Apple's iPad shipments fell sharply during Quarter 2, and Android Tablets were the reason behind it. Android tabs rose from a paltry 2.9% marketshare during the 1st quarter, to a whopping 30.1% during the second quarter. Contrast that with the iPad that went from 94.3% marketshare in Q1 down to 61.3% in Q2, and you can see directly where 'Andy' is eating his snacks.

Technically, Apple has still sold over twice as many iPads than Google has Android Tablets, at 9.3 Million to 4.6 Million respectively; however, that's because it was Apple's market to begin with, and their market to lose, since they pioneered it in the first place. It has to be alarming to Steve Jobs and Co. that Android was able to make such a dramatic jump in such a short amount of time. And, it's only going to get worse, since Amazon plans to get into the tablet market in a big way later this year.

Here's a quote from Neil Mawston, director at Strategy Analytics,
If Amazon decides to enter the Android tablet category later this year, that will bring fresh excitement and buzz to the Android community, but Amazon will need to deliver a truly standout offering if it really wants to make headway against the popular iPad.
Indeed, if Amazon can earn the respect of Android lovers and, more importantly, regular consumers, then we could easily see Android tablets overtake the iPad as early as next year.

Source: AndroidTablets.net via CNet

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is units shipped to vendors and not sales to customers. Apple has sold every iPad it made and then some. What this is pretty much saying is that Android OEMs have created a crapload of android tablets haha...it doesn't mean that they're successful though necessarily.

Skull One

Reaction score
This quarter two report also doesn't take into account that Apple had issues keeping up with production related to both the earth quake and switch over from iPad 1 to iPad 2 production.

And czerdrill is 100% correct. Apple's numbers actually reflect the ones SOLD to customers. Android's can only claim number shipped to distribution chains. Android isn't taking a bite out of anything yet when it comes to tablets.

spillner

Reaction score
Apple is the one of the most profitable and successful companies on the planet. Unless their devices start giving people AIDS, nothing will change that.

Bear in NM

Reaction score
I have to go with Skull and CZ on this one. We will know Apple is starting to feel the pinch when they start initiating tablet lawsuits against other makers......:)

Craig

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
So it's what, 20-25%? Let's not make too much out of "shipped" vs. "sold". It's not like there are millions of Android tablets sitting on the shelves never to be sold.

The bigger issue is probably production issues with the IPad. If people can't find an IPad, they may be settling for an Android tablet.

That said, I'd trade my IPad for an Asus transformer or slider in a second. Without a keyboard they are absolutely a toy - not as mobile as a smartphone, but the bigger screen can be nice.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
So it's what, 20-25%? Let's not make too much out of "shipped" vs. "sold". It's not like there are millions of Android tablets sitting on the shelves never to be sold.

The bigger issue is probably production issues with the IPad. If people can't find an IPad, they may be settling for an Android tablet.

That said, I'd trade my IPad for an Asus transformer or slider in a second. Without a keyboard they are absolutely a toy - not as mobile as a smartphone, but the bigger screen can be nice.

We heard this same report in January where they said Android suddenly had 22% tablet share in two weeks. That was also proven as a little premature and only reflected shipments to vendors. There is no way android tablets have anywhere near 30% tablet share. To go from 2.9% to 30% share in one year, would imply a 4500% increase in android tablet sales. (Doubtful) Why no numbers from the OEMs if that was the case? We already know that Samsung did a little misleading with their sales numbers on the Galaxy S tab, and the other android tablets have all pretty much failed too. So where are these Android tablets being sold and if they are being sold like that, where are the numbers and why aren't they being disclosed by the OEM? I mean someone's gotta be selling them, right? In Apple's case the number they ship is the number they sell, 9.25 million, which they specified on their earnings call.

This story really amounts to nothing.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, assuming people generally stick with the same platform, there are an awful lot of Android owners out there who would be looking for a tablet when they decide to pull the trigger.

That % needs to be validated, but such growth would not be the least bit surprising given that Android is heading toward double the IPhone market share.

Unless those numbers are flat wrong, I don't think you are going to find a huge difference in the shipped vs. sold, some timing issues but directionally insignificant. This is the doubting thomas with the smartphone growth all over again. It's inevitable and not a question of if but when.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, assuming people generally stick with the same platform, there are an awful lot of Android owners out there who would be looking for a tablet when they decide to pull the trigger.

That % needs to be validated, but such growth would not be the least bit surprising given that Android is heading toward double the IPhone market share.

Unless those numbers are flat wrong, I don't think you are going to find a huge difference in the shipped vs. sold, some timing issues but directionally insignificant. This is the doubting thomas with the smartphone growth all over again. It's inevitable and not a question of if but when.

but you're asking me to believe that android tablets, that have historically failed so far, have had that sort of increase in a years time. its not the same as the phones, which haven't failed. people are actually buying the phones, there's no proof that the tablets are being bought.

the numbers presented in this article are a little silly really if we try to compare shipped to sold considering what we know about android tablets...like i said who's selling all those tablets?

debdroid1a

Reaction score
...like i said who's selling all those tablets?
Kmart had some cheap tablets that they couldn't keep in stock. A lady that I follow on twitter picked one up and her and her daughter loved it. Toys R Us is selling Android tablets.
Walmart sells them.
Target sells them.
Amazon sells them.
And various other online "stores".

Not saying all these tablets are great. In fact, wasn't there something about Augen company disappearing...:icon_eek:... that's the cheap one kmart had for under $200.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
The problem with all the Android tablets out right now is they all have major flaws. I know everyone who owns a android tab is going to jump down my throat and tell me how perfect their's run and how they have zero issues but it has been widely reported of all the issues each tab has had. To be fair every android tab right now is a first generation, Samsung is just now putting out 2nd gen tabs so we shall see how those are. It's why I haven't jumped to buy one yet. I am excited to see what Moto's next tab will be like because the Xoom was an utter failure that they rushed just to release something to compete with the iPad2. I have high hopes for Android Tablets but nothing has been even close to being an iPad killer.

lightsout

Reaction score
I'm curious what major flaw the transformer has?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
...like i said who's selling all those tablets?
Kmart had some cheap tablets that they couldn't keep in stock. A lady that I follow on twitter picked one up and her and her daughter loved it. Toys R Us is selling Android tablets.
Walmart sells them.
Target sells them.
Amazon sells them.
And various other online "stores".

Not saying all these tablets are great. In fact, wasn't there something about Augen company disappearing...:icon_eek:... that's the cheap one kmart had for under $200.

No I meant who's actually selling these tablets...it's one thing to have them on sale but someone or some tablet has to be selling pretty nicely for the market to have a 4500% increase YOY....my point is that this report is only talking about shipments. there's no way android tablet share is 30% or even close. How could it be? No tablet has come remotely close to matching iPads success, and all of them as a collective unit are outsold by the iPad quite handedly. So where is this 4500% increase coming from?