Android Tablet news round-up - 9/3/2010

J

JohnDroid

The amount of Android Tablet news that seems to be hitting this past week is staggering... there is no way we can flood the home page with all of it so we'll be putting together news round-ups once in a while to cover the flow.

932010-roundup-0.jpg

First up we have a new tablet arrival from a company called Rydeen who looks to be coming out with their first Android based tablet.

Rydeen hopes to cash in on tablet fever with Android-based, Armada-powered PND @ Engadget.com

932010-roundup-4.jpg

Next up we have a bit of Samsung Galaxy Tab rumors... there will be a WiMax version, it will be available on both Sprint and Verizon and it should be hitting this November.

Galaxy Tab with WiMax coming to Sprint this November? @ Engadget.com, Samsung Galaxy Tab coming to Sprint in November... @ BoyGeniusReport.com

932010-roundup-3.jpg

The Samsung Galaxy Tab has also already been rooted... you know, just for fun.

Galaxy Tab Prototype rooted @ sera-apps.de, jkkmobile.

932010-roundup-2.jpg

Also we have word from LinuxforDevices.com that a Beijing-based online reseller has had great success selling an "unnamed" Android Tablet and they are pleasantly surprised.

Don't forget, you can check out our Android Tablet Forum @ Android Tablet Forum.

Also be sure to follow Android Tablet News on Twitter and via RSS with the following links:

RSS / Android Tablet Forum - Android Tablet News
Twitter / Android Tablet News (AndroidTablet) on Twitter

Boxster986

Reaction score
You forgot to mention Archos!!!

Archos has just announced 5, YES 5!!, new Android devices.

See all the new Android tablets and toys here!: ARCHOS

For those of you who have previously used Archos devices (I have for the past 7 years) here are some MAJOR highlights:

-Android 2.2 Froyo WITH Adobe Flash 10.1 pre-loaded!
-ARM Cortex A8 at 1 GHz with DSP
-Graphic accelerator: 3D OpenGL ES 2.0
-Built in webcam (*some devices)
-Tons of supported audio and video formats
-Flash based and HDD based built in memory
-Upper models with HDMI and mini HDMI connections on board!!! (Android on TV!)
-Capacitive touchscreen confirmed on the Archos 70. This is HUGE news. Resistive touchscreens are so 90s and Archos had dragged them on for far too long. This upgrade to capacitive technology is a MAJOR improvement in responsiveness and touch quality and control.

There's much more good news... Check out their site! Go Archos!! Go Android!! :greendroid::icon_ banana:

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com

For those of you who have previously used Archos devices (I have for the past 7 years) here are some MAJOR highlights:

-Capacitive touchscreen confirmed on the Archos 70. This is HUGE news. Resistive touchscreens are so 90s and Archos had dragged them on for far too long. This upgrade to capacitive technology is a MAJOR improvement in responsiveness and touch quality and control.

There's much more good news... Check out their site! Go Archos!! Go Android!! :greendroid::icon_ banana:
omg i just checked there site out and i fell in love wit that 10in. android tablet =]..its goin on my list =]

Boxster986

Reaction score

AND, I forgot to mention!

-HD video!!!!
-WiFi (802.11 b/g/n)!!!
-Bluetooth 2.1 EDR!!!!
-****TETHER TO YOUR DROID!!!****dancedroid

Boxster986

Reaction score
[/quote]omg i just checked there site out and i fell in love wit that 10in. android tablet =]..its goin on my list =][/QUOTE]

Me too!!!

Palmyra

Reaction score
A 7" will be the one fro me. While tablets are nice I can't see the 10.1" replacing the functionality of my 15" notebook. But the 7" will fit neatly between Droid D1 and the notebook, Just the right size to use on an airplane, subway, and the like.

gmorgan056

Reaction score
Though I don't know what use a mini tablet would be when you have a cell phone that does the same thing.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
A 7" will be the one fro me. While tablets are nice I can't see the 10.1" replacing the functionality of my 15" notebook. But the 7" will fit neatly between Droid D1 and the notebook, Just the right size to use on an airplane, subway, and the like.

Those are pretty nice, and I agree about the 7in, just the right size.

That is the size that I like too. Unfortunately, I wish that the 7 inch had a 1024 x 600 screen instead of just 800 x 480. I can get slightly more data on my Droid screen. Well, as long as I am wearing my close-up reading glasses. :) I will normally use in places where that is not a problem, like my house.

Reaction score
Am I in the minority when I think that tablets with mobile OS's like the iPad, Android, and WebOS are kitchy and useless. Personally if it doesn't have a full OS like Win7, OSX, or a full linux distro I don't find them to be truly useful. I don't want apps, I want programs, a stylus, handwriting recognition, etc.

I'm looking at things like this when I want a tablet:

HP EliteBook 2740p Tablet PC specifications - HP Small & Medium Business products

Axiotron : Home

Anyone else feel the same? I know these aren't Android....I just don't feel that an Android OS is meant for anything brighter than a phone. Android and Apple tabs are seem like they are meant to be ebook readers and web surfers for sitting on the toilet, which my phone can do just the same.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Am I in the minority when I think that tablets with mobile OS's like the iPad, Android, and WebOS are kitchy and useless. Personally if it doesn't have a full OS like Win7, OSX, or a full linux distro I don't find them to be truly useful. I don't want apps, I want programs, a stylus, handwriting recognition, etc.

HP EliteBook 2740p Tablet PC specifications - HP Small & Medium Business products

Anyone else feel the same? I know these aren't Android....I just don't feel that an Android OS is meant for anything brighter than a phone. Android and Apple tabs are seem like they are meant to be ebook readers and web surfers for sitting on the toilet, which my phone can do just the same.

You're talking about something completely different. A 4 or 5 pound notebook or tablet is also completely useless for lying in bed reading some article on the web or reading a book. It is also useless for doing the same while I exercise on my recumbent exercise bike. That is what a half pound android tablet does a great job of doing. You say that an android tablet is useless for anything. Well, I could say the same about what you want, as it has no use to me. For a lot less money, I have an ASUS Eee-PC instead of your $1600 tablet PC that does no more for me than y $300 Eee. This is why they make all of these. None are useless to everyone.

jonnybgewd

Reaction score
Just to be sure do those archos tablets have the market by any chance?

Reaction score

You're talking about something completely different. A 4 or 5 pound notebook or tablet is also completely useless for lying in bed reading some article on the web or reading a book. It is also useless for doing the same while I exercise on my recumbent exercise bike. That is what a half pound android tablet does a great job of doing. You say that an android tablet is useless for anything. Well, I could say the same about what you want, as it has no use to me. For a lot less money, I have an ASUS Eee-PC instead of your $1600 tablet PC that does no more for me than y $300 Eee. This is why they make all of these. None are useless to everyone.

I see your point, but I still think my phone does all that just fine and a tablet without the above mentioned functionality is an extra gadget that doesn't fill a technological gap that smartphones are missing. And on a side note, an Eee-PC is not comparable to what I'm looking at...price aside they lack a lot.

luv2increase

Reaction score

I agree with you 100%. It is probably because I am a Vice-President of a medium sized company though. How one can compare a single-core Android OS tablet to a tablet/laptop with 4 threads and Win7/8GB RAM/SSD drive, etc.. is beyond me.

In fact, I think I will order that HP today! Thanks! :icon_ banana:

Phones are for fun and quick e-mailing on the go. Laptops/Tablets/Desktops are for "productivity". Possibly Gingerbread may change things a little. I just hope that TI and Qualcomm has more than just dual-core chips when Gingerbread Tablets debut.