Android SDK? Step by step for noobs?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by dirtleg, Feb 4, 2010.

1. dirtleg

dirtleg New Member

I recently tried to install a ROM using the directions provided (here's a short example):
    11.) Make sure your computer is connected to your phone and you have ADB installed
    12.) In your command prompt in your SDK Tools directory... type the following commands...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Code:
    C:\sdk\tools> adb shell
    # format SYSTEM:
    # exit
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]etc...

I downloaded the Android SDK zip file and unzipped it...but had trouble getting everything to install and couldn't get any sort of command prompt to pop up like it was supposed to. Wondering if someone with greater knowledge than I could do a step by step on getting the sdk/adb to work correctly?
    I'm sure this would clear up a lot of the "how do I" questions on installing ROMs.
  2. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Dirt,

First there are tutorials here, just gotta spend a little time searching.

As I am headed out to get some work done, I will start the ball rolling, and other can chime in.

First, adk/adb is not a windows program. When you install sdk, you use the sdk.exe (I think) to open a windows program that then use to download more sdk files, drivers, etc. API files, your phone specific files and usb drivers.

Once these are on your phone, the adb is run under a dos window/shell, not a "window" like other window's programs. You do not click anything. You start the windows (I hope you are running windows, by the way) by going to (in XP), click Start, then click "Run", then when the box comes up type in "cmd" (just cmd the " " are for command clarification). When you type in cmd, this will pop up a dos window.

Now you have to let the folks know if you can get this far, and whether you understand dos commands and paths.

Craig
  3. dirtleg

dirtleg New Member

I understand all that. I downloaded it...unzipped the file. Clicked on the setup.exe file and it brought me to a screen with a whole bunch of choices on stuff to download. I wasn't sure what I needed to even download exactly.
    I understand about how to get to a command prompt but like a similar question that was just asked, I can't get the command prompt to do anything for me which I assume to mean that I didn't download the correct files or there is a step somewhere I am missing.
    There isn't really a step by step on how to set this program up ( I did do a search) so I was just hoping someone could take the five minutes to type out a quick tutorial (for instance if you were installing the smoked glass rom. The instructions there make some assumptions about having the SDK program installed and having the correct files installed in the appropriate places on your phone.
  4. mclarryjr

mclarryjr New Member

check youtube there are a few video's that will give you the step by step your looking for.
  5. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

lets start here. This thread is in the stickied thread at the top of the Hacks section:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/6865-how-use-adb-all-commands-options.html

As to what tools to download, here is what I have, but I have not been back recently, and there may be newer stuff. If in doubt, snag the latest version of each group of files:)

Docs Androidsdk, API7, rev1
    sdktools, rev 4
    sdk platform android 2.0.1, api 6, rev1
    "" "" "" 2.1, api7, rev1
    usb driver package, rev 3

When I was first at where you are, I didn't have a clue, so I snagged a lot of stuff. Just keep in mind that there are 2.1 roms out there, 2.1, and the developers (apps) are working with API 6 and 7. I am guesing there is a minimum set of files that are a minimum, I just guessed "long". While we do not technically need a lot of these files as we are not developing apps, the sdk program is kinda cool to play with.

Now once you get where you can execute adb shell, please do not start trying to push files, etc. When you execute the shell command, you will get a pound sign or dollar sign. when here you can do cd commands, use the ls command to list files. You can even type reboot to reboot the phone. What I am suggesting is get comfortable with adb. It is essentially a dos window with your phone root system at your disposal.

While I do not want to discourage you from using adb, quite the opposite, most of the roms out there have nandroid installs, and if you have not gotten nandroid nailed down, with sprecovery, you should not be messing with any roms. Root, then recovery, then nandroid backup, and find the time for adb. Then perhaps rom.

Craig
  6. roberj13

roberj13 New Member

I never actually ran the setup file, just first enabled usb debugging on the droid, opened command prompt in windows, changed to the directory, typed abd. Then su, return. Then did whatever I was trying to do. Results may vary however....lol
  7. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Rob,

OK ok rub it in:) That should be how it works, but I needed at a minimum the usb drivers on my pc, and that was with the Pay Motorola Media Link program already going with it's usb drivers. You would have figured one set of moto/vzw drivers would have been enough. Go figure....

Craig
  8. roberj13

roberj13 New Member

Ya I forgot about the drivers, I would've thought one set would have been enough also, not rubbing anything in btw. Although posting that while on my droid, made me realize how terrible the lag is on the browser for Bugless Beast.
  9. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Rob,

My first trip down adb lane was pretty funny. "Let's see, the guys on DF said I needed to get this working. Hum, what in the blue blazes are these files. Dunno, but I am gonna snag a bunch, just in case. Awe crap, now I have to remember a few dos commands. Now is that forward slash or back slash?????"

Pretty terrifying at first, but I think I am ok now, except for this slight twitch when some yells PATH.

Craig
  10. roberj13

roberj13 New Member

Mine was quite the adventure as well since the thread I read for instructions said unzip the sdk 'anywhere' then go to path and cd to the desktop. That was not the 'anywhere' I had decided, so cmd couldn't find any of the files. I think I stared at my computer for about 3 minutes trying to remember DOS. So then instead of just changing directories I just moved adb to the desktop. :) So then it was missing its other files. Pretty soon I had all three icons on my desktop and realized how retarded I am but after it was all working already.....lol I still have the icons on my desktop.....
  11. dahotz

dahotz New Member

12. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Rob

Well, it didn't take me 3 minutes with the dos commands. I had a batch file I had written years ago to automate my office backing up, so I "snuck" a peek to refresh myself:)

Now that we have totally hijacked this thread, next time we cross path's I can relay my funny story of what I have gone through to get a functional linux script file, and how many linux programs I have downloaded and beat myself up with, unnecessarily I humbly might add. They reside on my computer to this day, much like your icons, reminders of moments of ignorance...........

Craig
  13. blake2050

blake2050 New Member

I have downloaded some linux programs also hoping to extend my hacking of the droid, but they too just reside on my desktop collecting dust. =)

Back to the original post however, no you dont need to run setup.exe at all but you will need to download the 32-64 bit (depending on your comp) driver from motorola. Can be found here if you havent already got it running...

USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola USA
Search tags for this page
14.open a command window and go to the tools folder within t
android sdk cmd commands
android sdk command line

android sdk commands

command prompt android sdk
how to open command prompt in android sdk
how to open sdk command prompt
how to use android sdk command prompt

open a command window and go to the tools folder within the

open command prompt android sdk