Android Phones Take Over Verizon: Report

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G

Android phones from Verizon: (L-R) DROID 2 by Motorola,
DROID PRO by Motorola, DROID X by Motorola, DROID Incredible
by HTC, Motorola CITRUS. (Courtesy of Verizon Wireless)

Android phones are dominating Verizon Wireless, notably against Blackberry smartphones, says a new report published last week, according to the All Things Digital blog.

The report said that the Google Android OS is dominating the Verizon smartphone market. Around 80 percent of smartphones that have Verizon as a carrier are Android-based in the third quarter of this year.

Of that 80 percent, 46 percent was the Droid phone manufactured by Motorola.

Blackberry phones had a 90 percent share in the third quarter of last year. Now, RIM’s flagship smartphone has fallen to 19 percent of the Verizon market, according to MSNBC.

"The decline is led by the lack of a Storm refresh, dwindling sales of the Tour/Bold series, and a failure of the new Curve 3G to yet replace diminishing sales of the Curve 8530," ITG telecom analyst Matthew Goodman stated, according to MSNBC.

All Things Digital noted that the BlackBerry will probably never regain its foothold in the Verizon market.

By Alex Johnston
December 12, 2010
Source

Tjgrendel

Reaction score
I had a bbstorm (the first version) as my first smart phone. Long storry short it sucked! It was soooo slow! After 3 months with it I wanted my razor back. Although I can't complain with the service. That stupid thing always had bars! Anyway got the droid x now a love it! Never going back! Even got my dad to get off his bb curve and get the new droid biz phone from Verizon!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Captmilk

Reaction score
Tic, Tic, Tic, that's the sound of Rim's time running out........:blackdroid:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
not surprising to see Blackberry falling off the map... it was only a matter of time.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
...all those Droids in the picture and no Droid One

sunder74

Reaction score
Not surprising at all when you consider the dated os and the lacking hardware....comparatively the original Droid has better specs than the Torch which is RIMS "Flagship". (Sad part the Droid is a year older.)

antmeyerx

Reaction score
Droid i think in general is the best phone there is, fully customizable and more fun to use then an iPhone/BlackBerry
Let the Droid invasion begin :)

antmeyerx

Reaction score
Yeah Yeah its only a matter of time!
im kinda mad i got my upgrade so quick the droid pro is really cool my friend has it and i like it better then my droid2