Android phones more desirable than iPhone

Natey2

Reaction score
"According to Nielsen, 31 percent of mobile consumers surveyed from January to March of this year said they wanted an Android device. That's up from 26 percent in the previous period, in late 2010. Thirty percent, meanwhile, said they wanted an Apple mobile device in the most recent analysis -- down from 33 percent in the late-2010 window."
- http://www.pcworld.com/article/226354/android_outranks_apple_in_desirabilityand_thats_huge.html

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Noooooooo!!!! No way!!!!!! They all need to get iPhones!!! More droids for us lmao. Just kidding.

That's awesome!!! I love all four of my droid devices

sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Love the flamewar in the comments section below the article. Some people do get butthurt oh, so easily.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Love the flamewar in the comments section below the article. Some people do get butthurt oh, so easily.

Wow... don't wanna stir up that hornets nest any more than it is already!!!. Tip toe lightly, because they all have their fangs bared..... lmao

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Was that article from last year??? I see all of the posts are from April 27/28 of 2011..... I had the weirdest feeling of.... WTF???? LOL

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!

AZClimber

Reaction score
"According to Nielsen, 31 percent of mobile consumers surveyed from January to March of this year said they wanted an Android device. That's up from 26 percent in the previous period, in late 2010. Thirty percent, meanwhile, said they wanted an Apple mobile device in the most recent analysis -- down from 33 percent in the late-2010 window."

Yes they wanted an Android device but bought an iPhone, read below link:

iPhone Outsells All Android Phones Combined at Sprint and AT&T

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I didnt read the article or the comments at the other site. It is interesting tho. All I will say is Android is finally getting its own identity. Less and less ppl are mistaken it for an iPhone. What might start happening is ppl mistaking a WP7 phone for an Android phone...lol.

AZClimber

Reaction score
[h=1]Android’s Dirty Secret: Shipping Numbers Are Strong But Returns Are 30-40%[/h]
by John Biggs
techcrunch.com

It’s generally accepted that, on the aggregate, Androiddevice sales will far outpace iOS sales year after year. However, there’s a dirty little secret about Android devices that most manufacturers are facing: the return rate on some Android devices is between 30 and 40 percent, in comparison to the iPhone 4′s 1.7% return rate as of Antennagate in 2010.
As we learned yesterday, Samsung is selling 18 to 21 million phones this quarter. Although all of those won’t be Android phones – Samsung manufactures Bada phones as well for the low-end. We do know for sure that the Galaxy S II sold 3 million in 55 days, a strong showing.
However, on the ground, many return rates are approaching 40% said a person familiar with handset sales for multiple manufacturers. Why? Well, as Matt noted, consumer understanding of the platform and handset availability is massively bifurcated.
For us nerds, Android makes a lot of sense. It’s ostensibly open platform (but not really) that offers far more flexibility to the programmer, carrier, and, ideally, the user.
For the “average” phone user, however, Android is a maze. Anecdotally, I’ve heard of multiple examples of folks who bought an Android phone in order to “Think Different” and came away disappointed when faced with the glaring differences between Android and a friend’s iPhone or Blackberry.
Sure, the Android hardware ecosystem is more variegated and expansive and sure, Android is free for carriers to implement (in general) but clearly it’s the little differences that are driving sales and, more important, returns.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Interesting article. Being a former bb user, I can see how SOME users might not GET the android OS. But to most, its not that great of a learning curve. My first smartphone was a bb storm... that was a terrible experience because of hardware issues, then the tour and then the bold.

Then I got the DROIDX, for the first 10 mins I was thinking... I just don't get it!!!??? Then upon discovering the long press... and about 15 more minutes of playing with it... all was well. I wondered how I was ever happy with bb.

It was different, but your end result when using something different, in my opinion, is dictated by your expectations and willingness to try something different. Yrmv ;)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! XPARENT BLUE!!!

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
94lt1 said:
Interesting article. Being a former bb user, I can see how SOME users might not GET the android OS. But to most, its not that great of a learning curve. My first smartphone was a bb storm... that was a terrible experience because of hardware issues, then the tour and then the bold.

Then I got the DROIDX, for the first 10 mins I was thinking... I just don't get it!!!??? Then upon discovering the long press... and about 15 more minutes of playing with it... all was well. I wondered how I was ever happy with bb.

It was different, but your end result when using something different, in my opinion, is dictated by your expectations and willingness to try something different. Yrmv ;)

As tech challenged as my wife is she does fine on my old dinc2. She only needed a few pointers from me. And she's coming from a BB Bold.

But I can see their point iphones are geared towards less tech savvy people where you have to have a little bit of smarts to handle an Android. (Ok, let the flaming begin) ;)

Sent from my HTC Rezound infused with ice cream goodness using Droid Forums.

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
So she finds in pretty intuitive as well. See that's what I mean... it isn't like trying to learn nuclear physics after only knowing addition and subtraction like some try to make it out to be :)

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
94lt1 said:
So she finds in pretty intuitive as well. See that's what I mean... it isn't like trying to learn nuclear physics after only knowing addition and subtraction like some try to make it out to be :)

To get her started I set it up so she had all of her widgets up front on her home screens and after that she took over and and set the rest up. But I set up her emails and other accounts but I did that on her laptop too. The tech stuff is kind of my job.

Sent from my HTC Rezound infused with ice cream goodness using Droid Forums.

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I have a 75% android family. My oldest, hates technology and hates doing anything where he has to figure something out or to tweak it to get the pc or phone to do what he wants, started with android. My second is a computer geek and can do anything to fix, alter or optimize a pc. My youngest is in the middle. Guess which one has the iPhone? Yup, you got it! After a year on android and me trying to teach him with the several "all you have to do is..." he finally got an iPhone and swears android is ridiculous (to which I calmly state "to each his own...isn't it great we are all not the same"). Of course my second son would never have anything but android. My youngest wanted iPhone because that is what everyone at school had. I told him to try my Droid Charge to see what he thinks b4 making his choice (meanwhile I had to sacrifice using a vortex while he tested with my Charge). He decided he liked android and went with a Rezound (and thankfully I had two upgrades by that time and was able to get my Maxx). What was really cute is all his college buddies were jealous of what he could do with his android that they could not do with their iPhones. But really, android is not for the technologically challenged or people who just want what works without tweaking to your specs. And it is awesome we get to choose.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums