Android phone recommendations for the wife

Xander Crews

Reaction score
So my wife finally wants to jump on the smart phone bandwagon. I'm looking for recommendations.
We're on Verizon.
  • We'll be buying the phone outright to avoid a contract.
  • She doesn't need (or want to pay for) the latest and greatest...we're looking for a couple year old phone or so.
  • Money is a big part of it, we are looking for the best bang for our buck...maybe $100 or so.
  • Used/refurbished is what we are looking at, obviously.
  • 4G would be nice, but not a deal breaker.
  • Average size screen, no huge screens.
I'd like to compile a list of 4 or 5 phones and have her look at them to see what she likes and what is best for her.

I have a Rezound, which I love...and it will probably be one of the options for her.
Thanks in advance guys!

OP
Xander Crews

Xander Crews

Reaction score
I guess one thing I need to find out before we even get too far into this is, can she even get a smart phone on our plan?
We have the Nationwide Talk Share 700 plan on Verizon and I am grandfathered with the unlimited data. She does not currently have a smart phone but is on that plan with me.
Can she upgrade her phone to a smart phone with the $30 data add on? I assumed yes because that is an option within the plan, but then again this is Verizon and I'm not sure if they would try to make us go to their tiered plans if we try to alter anything at all on the plan.
Anyone know?

Droidram56

Reaction score
The Rezound would be a fine choice if being on the latest Os version is not important to you. It's a great phone but not likely to receive an update to Jelly Bean

Droidram56

Reaction score
Also, the price of the Galaxy S3 should be dropping soon as the S4 is released, in case you are interested in Samsung devices.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
If she doesn't have a smart phone plan she will have to get one. On a family plan this will convert your plan to a Family Share plan. You being grandfathered only helps you if you make no contract changes or renewals. Change it (add another smart phone plan) and you'll lose your grandfathered unlimited data.

at least from my understanding.

EyeOWA

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
If you want to keep your unlimited data, you can add a line. It will be $9.99 to add a line, plus the $30 for data. Other option is fmaily share. The Razr line are good phones. Also the Galaxy 3. Difference between Free and $200 is great. Depends on what Specs you want.

OP
Xander Crews

Xander Crews

Reaction score
If she doesn't have a smart phone plan she will have to get one. On a family plan this will convert your plan to a Family Share plan. You being grandfathered only helps you if you make no contract changes or renewals. Change it (add another smart phone plan) and you'll lose your grandfathered unlimited data.

at least from my understanding.

Well, I just chatted with a Verizon rep... it looks like you can upgrade to a smartphone on one line without losing unlimited data on the other.

Xander: I am actually a Verizon customer and had a question about my plan.
Xander: I currently have the Nationwide Talk Share 700 plan with 2 lines, one with unlimited data and one without data at all.
Jenea: Ok.
Xander: I'd like to add a smart phone to the current non-smart phone line. Can I do that without screwing with my current plan and the unlimited data on the other line?
Xander: Essentially, I just need to add a smart phone to the one line and add data to it.
Jenea: May I have your mobile number please?
Xander: We won't be buying the phone as part of a subsidy...we'd be buying it outright.
Xander: xxx-xxx-xxxx
Jenea: OK if you pay full retail price for the phone, the plan wont change.
Xander: The plan won't change, even if we add the smart phone to the current line that does not have a smart phone on it, right?
Jenea: Right

OP
Xander Crews

Xander Crews

Reaction score
So I think I have it down to:
  • Droid Incredible 2 4G (red) - Found one for $158
  • Droid Bionic - Found one for $141 (comes with an extended battery and cover)
The Incredible is newer, has slightly better overall specs (except for storage space), has NFC, better pixel density...and is red, which my wife would prefer.
But I feel the Bionic may be a better build. I have always been a fan of the solid feel and build quality of Motorola's phones. It also has a slightly bigger screen and is a bit thinner...but it won't be thinner with the extended battery.

Bluetooth 4 vs. 2.1...what's the difference?

Which would you guys recommend?

OP
Xander Crews

Xander Crews

Reaction score
Ended up buying the Bionic because I found a better deal on it.
It came with an otterbox case, an extra battery, an OEM dashboard mount and charging cord... for $125.
Apparently this Bionic is pretty much flawless and has had a screen protector and been in an otterbox case since it was bought. But we'll see. The picture looked fine.

I think that's a pretty darn good deal.
I'm shocked at how much Bionics are going for that have cracked screens, are beat to hell, or just don't work at all.
Crazy.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Congrats on picking up the Bionic. Solid phone and good to hear that you found a clean one.