Android Pay Available for Download

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Android-Pay.jpg

Android Pay officially went live yesterday. It will eventually be available and start pushing out to Google devices, but that will happen in batches. Luckily, our friends at Phandroid posted a download for the APK, so you can get it now if you want: Mediafire

In case you missed the info on Android Pay previously, it is basically the new replacement mobile payment system for Google Wallet. It's a way for Google to consolidate under the Android brand and bring new functionality to the system. Sound off and let everyone know what you think of it!

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Thanks @dgstorm will download this later.

realged13

Reaction score
I wonder if our Google Wallet debit card that I have is still usable or do I need to get a new one?

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
Do you need to be on Lollipop to run Android Pay? I'm on Kitkat 4.4.4 with my Droid Maxx DE and it keeps telling me that my Play Services needs to be updated. My play services is 7.8.99, but there isn't an update for it in the Play Store. I'm rooted but cloaked. I read the comments on the Phandroid and a user said they updated there Play Services on their Maxx and it worked.

mumblemouth1

Reaction score
thx for download. but you cant use it until google updates their google services to support it

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Got everything up and running will try it tomorrow!

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I wonder if our Google Wallet debit card that I have is still usable or do I need to get a new one?

I use my Wallet debit card all the time. A new version of Google Wallet is on the play store and the old version is now Android Pay. I personally prefer the debit card of Google Wallet. I'm interested in Samsung Pay though for its magnetic emulation so I can use any card kiosk instead of just Tap to Pay ones.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Im rooted and was able to get it to work.

To note: I did not figure this out on my own I read it on either reddit or xda earlier today but did not get a chance to play with it until later.

Also: rootcloak or any other root hiding app did not work for me.

I uninstalled xposed as that some how kept triggering an error message "cannot verify software" (again got this from: How to enable Android Pay on a rooted device. • /r/Android post 110 casen_).

Went into the superuser app and unchecked enabled superuser.

Went into Android Pay and set up my cards (be patient when having to get verification through email. I locked myself out thinking it would be instant only to get the codes later and run out of chances to get it through email. I was able to call the number in the app for my bank and get it resolved though).

Once you set up all your cards you can re-enable superuser in the superuser app and the card will work.

* I did those steps running stock android and not a custom rom.

After a few days I will post my final verdict. But thus far I do not see any difference. To rehash what others said, they just separated features into separate apps. Also when I called my bank to get my verification resolved I noticed she said "your card is all set for Apple Pay". I responded with you mean Android Pay.

Her response "same thing".

Like you guys, those would be the magic words to start a riot. But then I thought about it.

I said in a thread before that in order for pay to survive they are going to have to set aside their differences and work together. I would not be surprised to find out that the reason Google turned wallet into App...Android Pay was to mirror the app more like Apple Pay to help with uniformity for banks. If banks have to set aside and train a tech for different tech, there is a chance it will hurt the process as a whole. But if it is one tech for setting things up across both platforms it would help expedite the process making it more likely to make its way into more stores.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Got the update legit today and got to take it or for a test run at Subway. Worked flawlessly and it was easy to set up. I must say that I'm not that bothered by the split

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Just got the official update as well. Adding my cards that I already had in wallet & verifying them was easy. Will have to give an excuse to test it out tomorrow.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
this doesn't work on my device, I've tried unrooting and root cloak.

thanks google for yet again "simplifying" and changing stuff that doesn't need to be changed.

Conechaser

Reaction score
Android Pay works differently (aka the same as Apple Pay) than Google Wallet that's why they changed it. You can still have Google Wallet just have to download the new Google Wallet.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
this doesn't work on my device, I've tried unrooting and root cloak.

thanks google for yet again "simplifying" and changing stuff that doesn't need to be changed.
problem is without being able to get pay to work I'll lose my loyalty cards I've got saved... unless I download the pdf which is a pita.

no reason my phone shouldn't work, it just doesn't guess this gn2 needs an upgrade