IM
motorola dock service
bluetoothdun
calendar
multi-touch keyboard.

phone is rooted with bloatware removed.

Shimmy549

Reaction score
One thing I noticed: Android OS doesn't seem to be killing your battery. Your battery life looks to be on par with mine, even though our Running Apps and Battery Usage stats are very different.

I never set up my phone to take screenshots (yeah, I know...I will someday), but here is my Battery Usage and Running Apps:

Battery Usage:
Display-70%
Tapatalk-14%
Wi-Fi-11%
Cell Standby-4%
Android OS-4%

Running Apps:
Settings
Root Tools
Data Manager Service
Google Services
Backup Assistant
Motorola Dock Service
BluetoothDun
Swype

DoubleTwist was running earlier because I was playing music with it at work, but I closed it down and plugged my phone in when I came home. Otherwise, that's pretty close to how both look all the time. Sometimes Skyfire makes an appearance, or doubleTwist (and Music), or Voice Calls, or one additional app or another, but I never have a very long list of either.

Like I said, though, your battery life seems to be at least accaeptable. I don't know what was going on when you took the middle screenshot, but it doesn't seem like Android OS is doing much damage. It's doing the MOST damage, but not much.

One other thing: I turned off In Pocket detection because it seemed unnecessary with this phone. I struggle to hit the power button when I mean to-haha. Unlike other phones I've had, this one has proven hard to accidentally turn on, so I took a chance and haven't had any pocket dial issues.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tman_c45

Reaction score
this hasn't always been the case... it just started a few weeks ago, and I have removed any additional apps that I installed.... in addition to clearing the cache partition and the devalik cache (however you spell that)...

Android os process used to be around 10% of the total battery usage

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Shimmy549

Reaction score
http://forum.xda-developers.com/archive/index.php/t-620371.html

Not the most recent discussion out there, but I thought it might be useful to you.

Another one:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/521309

I find the one poster's idea-to install Watchdog Lite-somewhat compelling.

I hope something here sparks an idea. It doesn't look like anybody really has the answer. There are a lot of theories, but nothing that seems to work permanently or with regularity.

Last edited:

tman_c45

Reaction score
good read. switching network types won't help me on verizon though.

also -- I know how to kill processes/apps after they start, but how do I keep so many from running all the time?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
good read. switching network types won't help me on verizon though.

also -- I know how to kill processes/apps after they start, but how do I keep so many from running all the time?

They aren't actually running. They are loaded in ram waiting to used. If the ram is needed for a requested task they will be dumped. They are not using cpu cycles. You can check that with an app like Watch Dog Lite. It will show you what's using cpu cycles and what's not.

Good luck.

Shimmy549

Reaction score
Watchdog will also alert you of which apps are using way more CPU than they should. It will put a message in your notification bar (I can't remember if you can choose another type of alert). I used to get daily warnings about Skyfire Browser.

I had the Lite version and I honestly don't know what else the paid-for version brings to the table. It's a useful app if you're trying to pinpoint a problem.

tman_c45

Reaction score
that's the thing that's killing me -- it doesn't appear that there are any "problems" ... cannot see what within the android os process is using so many more cpu cycles than the other processes. is there any app that can breakdown the 'android os' process itself?

doogald

Reaction score
that's the thing that's killing me -- it doesn't appear that there are any "problems" ... cannot see what within the android os process is using so many more cpu cycles than the other processes. is there any app that can breakdown the 'android os' process itself?

I don't know of one - though I do have an app called System Panel that can monitor processes and battery over time (I've never used that function myself) - that, I imagine, takes battery itself - but perhaps it will tell you what exactly is using battery/CPU.

However, if there isn't a problem, perhaps it's best to not to let it worry you and just let the phone do its thing.

Shimmy549

Reaction score
I've done a lot of Googling, but the most common answer is this: The Android OS touches all phone processes, so anything could cause it to use more battery than it should.

It's probably true that most processes are so tightly enmeshed that there's no way of distinguishing one process's effect on the OS over any other's, but I'll keep looking for more info.

tman_c45

Reaction score
that makes sense... so then really the only fix is to do a factory reset?

Shimmy549

Reaction score
I'm not so sure that a factory reset will work.

I'm not saying you absolutely should do this, but I think going the SBF route might be worth your time. I wouldn't do it unless the problem was driving me nuts/destroying my battery, but I haven't seen it suggested anywhere. That's strange to me because it seems like bringing the phone back to its original state would be the last logical step in trying to restore the normal structure of battery usage.

Again, I'm not saying you should do it, but if nothing else works, it would make sense. It would be the final viable option.