Android OS sucks for mem management.

A

AT-AT28

I want them closed, ended, non running, fineto, period! After having my DX for awhile now i'm noticing that Android OS seems to love leaving apps running in the background eating up what precious RAM I have left. Its aggrevating that I have to use system panel lite to end programs when I just want to exit it out of them and be done with it and not slowing down my phone.

What do I need to do exactly permanetly close:

1. Stock Browser
2. Droid forum app *even if I back out, it still continues to run*
3. Gallery
4. Txt messenger
5. Market

Why does this thing insist on keeping crap sitting in RAM? Windows does a better job then this, cmon Google.....

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you are killing tasks you are just wasting resources and battery as the O/S does an excellent job at managing the processes within the system - these apps are not actually running, they are "frozen" waiting for you to access them

There is a thread/video around here somewhere that goes into detail about how the Android O/S works - and it is far diffeent than any windows system -

ConqSoft

Reaction score
So you're saying you have ran out of RAM? Seeing Low RAM messages? What exactly is your supporting argument?

Don't worry about what's running in the background. As tp76 said, the OS handles it.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's alright FBM - the more the merrier :)

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks like several of us feel the same about task killers.

OP
A

AT-AT28

Allright, got some reading/learning to do then to keep me busy for rest of tonight, thanks.

Freezetron

Reaction score
After reading that, im still having trouble getting rid of my windows memory management mentality. I keep going back to my systempanel lite app and see droid app, txt message app, weather channel ect... sitting eating up that RAM, even the systempanel itself takes up a chunk of memory and CPU and im like "ahhhh noooo, precious hardware resources being wasted, begone!"

Maybe I better just yank systempanel out to keep from doing this to myself....

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
That sounds like a good idea. :)

The OS will kill processes running in the background to free up RAM for a new process that needs the resources (look around for the number of redraw complaints with 2.2 when it his the D1), but it keeps apps "running" in the background so it can launch them faster the next time around, if needed. So, even though it seems counterproductive, it's actually a good thing for the phones.

Freezetron

Reaction score
Waaaaaait a minute. That link to the nextapp Systempanel website is one that is also found to be really bad for the droid OS like the link in this thread states? Is it even worse then advanced task killer?
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/65483-task-killers-answer-google-developers.html

The one I was using the entire time to kill apps and didn't even know I was shooting my own two feet off and then pouring lemon juice over the wounds?

http://android.nextapp.com/site/systempanel

OMG...... :icon_eek: