Android OS or IPad

Discussion in 'Android Forum' started by fighterpilota, Jul 30, 2011.

1. fighterpilota

fighterpilota New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My wife wants to read books and I want a back up GPS system for my boat's navigation system. Do I go with the Apple 3g or an Android capable GPS system? I am aware the prevailing thinking is the Apps for Ipad are many and android apps are playing catch up. Not into games. 78years old. Thanks

2. kristoff125

kristoff125 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've always looked at the iPad as an oversized iPod touch. The honeycomb OS is built for tablets, it takes full advantage of the screen size.

Also, not sure about Nav programs on the iPad, but Android has a LOT of slick apps where you can download the GPS maps for offline usage, as you would probably need if you were out boating.

I am probably biased a bit as I hate Apple products, but the iPad isn't all that magical in my eyes.

3. brad92

brad92 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +17
    I love Android software, but I definitely believe Apple has better hardware and more problem free software compared to Android.

Don't get me wrong, I hate how locked down it is, but I have never had an issue with my ipod touch (except it is hard to update and locked down).

CM74DX

4. smokiedabong

smokiedabong Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Why buy something so big as a tablet with limited software like Android or iOS ? You can get a Win 7 tablet and have endless possibilities , full desktop messaging applications like Skype , Yahoo or Live Messenger , full web browsers of your choice , Chrome , Firefox , Safari , IE etc. not the striped down mobile versions . Play all the media formats imaginable . Hell if you want you can run any other OS on it , Android , OSX , Linux etc. Full office applications and functionality , networking , development , anything you want .

5. kristoff125

kristoff125 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    smokie, there's 2 issues, win7 is a platform that's just not built for tabs, and I'm not sure how many of them support GPS.

6. DROOIID

DROOIID Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Apple ipad 2 now. But if you wait HTC is coming out with a 10 inch tablet that will be a beast.

7. kristoff125

kristoff125 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    the galaxy 10.1 seems nice. Also android is advancing by leaps and bounds while IOS isnt.

8. vernontwg

vernontwg Member

Ratings:
    +0
    definetly ipad, i have an android tab, and the apps are nowhere near as polished as the tablet specific apps for iOS

9. kristoff125

kristoff125 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hows the GPS on the iPad?

10. kristoff125

kristoff125 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Seeing as how GMaps is full featured and arguably the best available GPS, then things like my tracks by google map out your trip, for GPS I'd say go with Android. As for ebooks, Either one does the same job.

11. fighterpilota

fighterpilota New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    IPad or android

Appreciate the comments. In other readings the comments seem to indicate that although the other systems have a lot of capability they are also experiencing growing pains. Lots of complaints, bloatware, and apps just not there in finished products. A couple months ago i was ready to buy an android system, now ther are 3 or 4 other systems and none are yet fully developed and the bugs out. I may pass on this boating season and see what develops over the next few months leading to the next boating season. My wife will have to read hard copy. Thanks

12. kristoff125

kristoff125 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just to get it straight, you're looking for a tablet right? not just a 4inch screen?

if so, what are you looking for beyond GPS / ebooks?

I just feel that Android is growing much faster than iOS, and for what you're looking for, like I had said, the GPS features of google maps are unbelievable, and the ebooks are the same on both.

So I tyhink android wins.

Search tags for this page

android os on ipad 2

share android gps with ipad

share gps with ipad