Android OS eating battery?

vkw619

Reaction score
I have the extended battery for the Droid 2 Global I bought from verizon when I first got the phone and I can last basically an entire day without worrying about the battery dying.

However the last 3 days or so my battery has lasted less than 6 hours with minimal use and no widgets running..

When I check the battery manager to see whats eating my battery it shows android OS 66% and display 8%... now whenever I used to use my phone android OS used to be further down and display was sucking most of my battery... Can anyone help me figure out why this is happening? Is it my battery? Does verizon replace extended batteries if I have a warranty for the phone? I wasn't offered a warranty for the EB.

Someone help? I'm going on a trip soon and need my phone and I have no way to charge it for a while.

EDIT: Also my phone has been running hot constantly and slow.

Last edited:

nova77

Reaction score
I've never read of this happening before, just to rule out the battery have you used the stock battery to see if it still happens?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
V

vkw619

Reaction score
I've never read of this happening before, just to rule out the battery have you used the stock battery to see if it still happens?

Yes it is still happening with the SB as far as I can tell. The extended battery seems to be doing it worse though which is very weird. However it still is running very hot and slow with both batteries and the Android OS in battery manager is in the mid 60%s to low 70%s with display under 10% and the battery completely dying (extended) in a matter of 4 hours or so with the phone idle.

nova77

Reaction score
It could be a bad app that you dl'ed. Any task killers or anit-virus on your phone?

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I have never heard of THIS ON A FULL STOCK PHONE WITH BLUR !!!!!!

ARE YOU USING JUICE DEFENDER A APP IN THE MARKET A FREE VERSION THE PAID VERSION OFFERS A FEW EXTRA FEATURES it KILLS YOUR 3G CONNECTION WHEN THE SCREEN IS OFF ALSO GO TO YOUR BATTERY MANAGER WHAT ARE THE SETTING THERE I PUT IT ON MAX BATTERY SAVER I AM ROOTED BUT I HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED THE ISSUES YOU ARE HAVING

OP
V

vkw619

Reaction score
It could be a bad app that you dl'ed. Any task killers or anit-virus on your phone?

Nope. I havent downloaded any apps the last few days. Don't run a TK or Anti Virus..
Its been a normal few days with my phone thats why I dont understand why this is randomly happening. I'm afraid it could be the battery but if it was the battery why would the Android OS be spiking from 3-4% to 60+%?

I've researched this and found a few threads here and there describing the same problem with other phones including the Droid X but no one seems to have a solution all of the threads die without getting anywhere..

nova77

Reaction score
If your willing to wipe the phone then you can root before hand, and backup all your apps and whatever you want (just not system) then wipe the phone to see if that fixes the problem

OP
V

vkw619

Reaction score
If your willing to wipe the phone then you can root before hand, and backup all your apps and whatever you want (just not system) then wipe the phone to see if that fixes the problem

Are you suggesting rooting my phone? Because I really do not want to do that.. Is there a way to figure out if there is a program draining my phone?

Edit: I turned off my phone took out the battery and let it charge for a bit then took the charger out and turned it on I got the White M then I got the Droid logo that moves and now it is frozen at the droid logo (the logo is still moving as if it was going to boot)..

This is getting really frustrating/bad ><

Last edited:

nova77

Reaction score
Well if you don't want to root I don't know what do
Maybe some one else will know what to do on stock. Try what wozzy said maybe it'll help

OP
V

vkw619

Reaction score
Well if you don't want to root I don't know what do
Maybe some one else will know what to do on stock. Try what wozzy said maybe it'll help

I don't think that would help.. and its kinda hard to tell what exactly he is telling me to do ><.

I have had no problems with the settings I had. I could go a full school day or just a saturday without having to worry about my phone dying (why I purchased the extended battery because I couldn't do that with the stock). I could play some games, email, facebook, twitter, widgets all without worrying about it dying and charging it every night with out problems. In the last few days it goes from dead to 70% just by restarting the phone with the charger plugged in, the Android OS is at 70% in battery manager, and I'm getting a few hours out of my phone.

I don't see how Juice Defender with help my problems.

Please anyone else have some suggestions for me? I'm becoming desperate to get to the bottom of this?

nova77

Reaction score
Well good luck
If you don't find n e thing n decide to root, it should be simple as there is a good tutorial sticky in the D2G section

OP
V

vkw619

Reaction score
Well good luck
If you don't find n e thing n decide to root, it should be simple as there is a good tutorial sticky in the D2G section

Thanks I appreciate your help.

Anyone else want to chime in some ideas? Anyway to see exactly what is running under "Android OS" to see whats causing this drain?

mariongiant

Reaction score
I've had the same problem in the past with my unrooted D2G. Android OS usually uses 2-3% of the battery, and I can get 20 hours out. When Android OS jumps to 50-70%, I get five hours.
I noticed that Android OS jumps when I use wifi, or sometimes when I use YouTube. The solution for me was to turn the phone on and off. I've tried to find out what Android OS does, as opposed to Android System, but I've had no luck. Also, I'm not running a lot of programs on the phone besides the basic stuff.
This is anecdotal. I wish I could be more specific.