Android OS Change Over Time Picture

King_Bean

Reaction score
I hear everyone talking about how complicated Android is compared to iOS. I always find such talk strange because the D1 was my first smartphone and I didn't find it difficult to learn AT ALL. I don't consider myself a technology expert by any means, unless playing my fair share of video games growing up counts.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Simple vs complicated, a lot of times, is really a matter of what you get used to... my wife has known nothing but Android (only b/c that's what I've given her in the past). Handed her an iPhone to check out recently and she coudln't figure it out (to a certain extend anyway). Most iphone users claim Android is "complicated" b/c all they're used to is iOS - not b/c Android is THAT much more complex... though it obviously has the potential to be!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Simple vs complicated, a lot of times, is really a matter of what you get used to... my wife has known nothing but Android (only b/c that's what I've given her in the past). Handed her an iPhone to check out recently and she coudln't figure it out (to a certain extend anyway). Most iphone users claim Android is "complicated" b/c all they're used to is iOS - not b/c Android is THAT much more complex... though it obviously has the potential to be!

100% spot-on and echoes my own experience going from Android to IOS.

The problem with all these "intuitive" shortcuts and switches is it's not intuitive for large groups of people. Something can be the simplest or most straightforward and you still have a left-hand/right-hand thing where it simply isn't true. I also find the documentation on all these short-cuts and hacks to be lacking. It's really dumb because who thinks to search on how to do a shortcut for something they don't even know they need?

I've talked about switching "costs" before...Aside from learning something new hopping between OS's (or even on upgrades, from GB to ICS for example), there's those subconscious habits you've developed that you need to "untrain". Given the pace of tech and advancements, we don't want to have to spend too much time untraining and learning new ways of navigating.

Last edited:

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
100% spot-on and echoes my own experience going from Android to IOS.

The problem with all these "intuitive" shortcuts and switches is it's not intuitive for large groups of people. Something can be the simplest or most straightforward and you still have a left-hand/right-hand thing where it simply isn't true. I also find the documentation on all these short-cuts and hacks to be lacking. It's really dumb because who thinks to search on how to do a shortcut for something they don't even know they need?

I've talked about switching "costs" before...Aside from learning something new hopping between OS's (or even on upgrades, from GB to ICS for example), there's those subconscious habits you've developed that you need to "untrain". Given the pace of tech and advancements, we don't want to have to spend too much time untraining and learning new ways of navigating.

Yep exactly! My wife does NOTHING to her phones, but she has an Inc2 now, and realized she could change the skin... she was in awe - lol. She had an LG Optimus T before that, and V before that (Tmobile and Virgin Mobile - same phone though).

Then I handed her the iPhone 4 that I was either going to sell, or let her keep if she chose to... she unlocked it, said it looked nice, then handed it back to me, sighed, and said "It looks nice, but I just don't want to learn anything new, and this looks new and different.

:icon_ banana:

jonamurphy

Reaction score
Updated my IPad to IOS 5. First it said "back-up your apps"....So I took a little bit and figured that out, except one wouldn't back up. Tried again. Same story. Oh well, now how do I d/l the update? No clue. Unplug. Plug back in. Oh, there it is. 30 minutes later I'm good to go. Wait - where did all my music go?

I'm not making this up. I have some nice apps, about the only thing I see that's good about the IPad.
Just be glad it didn't get bricked. I have 2 coworkers whose iPhones got bricked by doing the update.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Just be glad it didn't get bricked. I have 2 coworkers whose iPhones got bricked by doing the update.

You know what else was irritating? I had to re-install all my "backed-up" apps ONE AT A TIME. Not only that, it closes the app store so I had to go back into the app store and click on the next app 60 times. But, yeah, lol glad I didn't brick it.