Android OS Battery Drain after 5.9.901 update

Bionic_Pags

Reaction score
Hi, i have a Bionic running 5.9.901, not rooted (didn't 4ever root when getting 5.9.901 upgrade). Anyway prior to this update at 5.5.893, i was getting fantastic battery life and Android OS process was showing about 4% battery usage. Immediately after the update my battery life was awful (After 3 hours of barely waking the phone i'm down to 60% battery life from fully charged). I opened my battery manager to see the Android OS is now constantly using 55-65% of my battery. I've tried everything except doing a factory data reset, which was recommended, but i really want to avoid doing that. Any help or knowledge of this issue would be greatly appreciated. I want to reiterate that this was immediately after the update to 5.9.901... so there were no new apps downloaded and nothing else was done to the phone. Thanks in advance for the help.

My351

Reaction score
I have the same issue with mine. Not rooted, and didn't do a fdr, as I had just done one two days prior to updating to .901

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

linkage423

Reaction score
Yup same issue... I am rooted.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Try going through a full powercycle and calibrating the battery.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bionic_Pags

Reaction score
Try going through a full powercycle and calibrating the battery.

Thanks, I tried full power cycle, but don't think I can callibrate w/o root. Power cycle didn't do the trick...

My351

Reaction score
Tried the full power cycle two days ago, gained me maybe an extra hour of usage, but didn't really help a lot.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I tried full power cycle, but don't think I can callibrate w/o root. Power cycle didn't do the trick...

You can still calibrate with out root. Use the phone till it dies and turns it self off. Place on charger and charge to 100% WITH PHONE OFF. After its fully charged leave it on charger for another half hour or so to properly saturate the cells, this will not damage or overcharge the phone. Take off charger and turn on and use it till dies again with NO charging in between. Rinse repeat one more time and you should be good.

Last edited:
OP
B

Bionic_Pags

Reaction score
You can still calibrate with out root. Use the phone till it dies and turns it self off. Place on charger and charge to 100% WITH PHONE OFF. After its fully charged leave it on charger for another half hour or so to properly saturate the cells, this will not damage or overcharge the phone. Take off charger and turn on and use it till dies again with NO charging in between. Rinse repeat one more time and you should be good.

Thanks, i'll give this a shot tonight and tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Just seems weird that the battery not being calibrated would cause the Android OS to spike up to 65% of battery usage after I updated...

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks, i'll give this a shot tonight and tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Just seems weird that the battery not being calibrated would cause the Android OS to spike up to 65% of battery usage after I updated...

If not properly calibrated, this could possibly cause it, the reading may be off, so it might not actually be that high of a percentage, just what its reporting as... hopefully the battery calibration will fix this and if this won't work, maybe a factory reset is in order.... :(

debrad0307

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue although I'm not certain that the battery started draining only on 901 since I wasn't on 893 long enough. I have calibrated my battery but that didn't help. I also noticed that the battery manager and my battery icon are WAY off. For example the battery manager says my battery is at 50% but the actual icon looks to be at about 70%. I also noticed that "Android OS" is using 50% of my battery. has anyone tried the factory reset yet? Any luck with the calibration? I'm ready to go get an extended battery to be honest..

tappin and talkin on my BIONIC

altspeed

Reaction score
Dallas, Lone Star Republic, North America, Terra
My battery/OS were interacting the exact same way on my 8 day old .893 last night and I cranked everything all the way on to get the battery drained a start a cal cycle. I have always wondered if LiIons had to be conditioned (or calibrated) like NiCads. Somebody recently told me that it was witchcraft to apply NiCad thinking to LiIons and it really had no effect. Thoughts? Genuine knowledge? Or is it just that we're syncing the battery's peak and zero to the meter in the device and not physically changing the battery.

Last edited:

linkage423

Reaction score
I'm still having issues lol after a battery calibration... 21 hours and 45 of battery was used by os. I am not really worried about it

Last edited:

debrad0307

Reaction score
I'm not worried so much about the OS using the battery. I kind of figured it was normal because of the dual core. My issue is the actual drain of the battery. I guess I just need an extended battery. Today was a good day though. I took my phone off the charger at 7am and just now had to put it on the charger. I used my phone like I normally would. Facebook, talk, text, the forums, and some games. I have good days and bad days with battery life. I noticed that turning my data off when I am at home and connected to my Wi-Fi helps a lot with the battery too. Maybe it is something to keep in mind for those who are having battery issues. I still think I am gonna get the extended battery so I don't have to carry a charger around...

tappin and talkin on my BIONIC

azdrifter

Reaction score
I've been on the .901 for 2 days now and I actually gained about 1-2 hours of battery life so I'm currently getting about 20 hrs. on my battery life right now it's been on 17 hrs and it has 30% of battery left.
And I use it heavily especially today since I watched half of the Texans game on my phone.

ViperX

Reaction score
Just install 5.9.901 and no data what's the deal?