Android October Launch Round-Up; Everything We Know So Far

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
halloween-android.png

October 2014 is shaping up to be one of the biggest Android releases in years. A hot host of new stuff for Google's operating system is getting ready to sweep our attention away from anything else going on in the mobile tech world. Just in case you've lost track of all the Androids that are getting ready to launch this month, we wanted to share this round-up of launches which are either very likely coming, or may be coming in October.

Here's the breakdown of what is possible:
  • Android L - This one is obvious since we can't very well have a new Android launch without the little green guy himself. Besides the new flatter "Material Design" that Google has promised us, there are a slew of new features and improvements designed to take Android to the next level.
  • Motorola Nexus 6/X (Shamu) smartphone - This one has been rumored so many times it would be more shocking if it did NOT arrive. What is still unclear is what the final device will be called. Will we get a 5.9-inch Nexus 6 and a separate Nexus X, or are they simply one in the same device?
  • LG Nexus 5 (2014 Edition) smartphone - There isn't much solid intel on this one, so we are suggesting it with a heaping helping of salt thrown in for good measure. Still, it is not without precedent that Google has done this, so we wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be true. In the overall grand scheme of things, it also makes sense to at least continue the Nexus 5 line so that users have two choices in sizes for Nexus smartphones.
  • HTC Nexus 9 Android Tablet - We know this exists because of a NVIDIA legal document filed in a lawsuit naming the device. We also know it will have the NVIDIA Tegra K1 mobile chipset, which will give it tremendous graphical horsepower. The only thing we are unsure about is when it will be launched. It's also possible the Nexus 9 name will not end up on the device, but that is unlikely.
  • Samsung's Galaxy Note 4 - This device is definitely not going to be a surprise. Samsung has already stated it would have its global launch in October, and they have already released the device in limited Asian markets. This will simply be the full scale global launch of Sammy's newest uber-phablet.
  • HTC Desire Eye and HTC One M8 Eye - Both of these devices are scheduled to be unveiled this week, so we can count on this happening. HTC is basically releasing tweaked versions of both of these phones which focus on a 13MP front facing "selfie-focused" camera concept. Is this something that will take off for HTC or is it just another example of the company chasing trends down the rabbit hole?
  • Verizon's Motorola Droid Turbo - this one has an outside chance of launching this month, but we wouldn't bet on it. More than likely it will hit store shelves in November, but the possibility does exist we could see it around Halloween. Of course, for many of us, this is the one we most want to see come in October, which will make it all the more disappointing if it doesn't.
That's the gist of the big (possible) releases for October. It's possible we missed a few stragglers, so if you think of something please post it in the thread below. In the mean-time, feel free to comment on which of these October releases has you most excited!

DrumsOfGrohl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iphone 6
I think I'm most exited for the Droid Turbo, if it is, in fact, coming out this October

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think I'm most exited for the Droid Turbo, if it is, in fact, coming out this October
I hope so, but more than likely it won't hit until later this year... :(

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Waiting on the Turbo, too. If I'm not in love with that, or it's HUGE, I'll be going with something else.
I was hoping for Oct but the #DroidLanding Twitter account has been too quiet. If something was imminent I think it would be a little more "noisy".