Android o.s. and apps.

dap5308

Reaction score
I am new to the android world. I just got the Droid X. It currently runs 2.2 but if it does not recieve the Gingerbread update.... does this mean that apps wont work with the older os? Like new apps being created will not be compatable with the droid x anymore? Also unreleated to the previous questions, what is the best way to back up my droid? Thank you!

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
In general, apps are backwards compatible, in general. Most devs will continue to support older versions of Android, since new releases always trickle in slowly, and old releases leave slowly. I wouldnt be too concerned with it.

What sort of backup are you looking for? Apps, SMS/MMS, settings?

OP
D

dap5308

Reaction score
Is there a way to do all apps, messaging and settings? Almost like on a pc you can use ghost to image your computer and restore it.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Is there a way to do all apps, messaging and settings? Almost like on a pc you can use ghost to image your computer and restore it.

What you are looking for, is actually called an Nandroid back-Up...basically a "snap-shot" of your existing phone, Operating System and the like. I am not 100% positive that all SMS messages will be "saved" in the back-up...someone smarter than me will have to answer on that.

You can also use Titanium Back-Up to save all your apps and then re-install them as well. This app requires you have root access though, so bear that in mind.

echonaut

Reaction score
I am not 100% positive that all SMS messages will be "saved" in the back-up

They will be. But it's like you said, Nandroid does a 'snapshot' of the entire OS, so in order to retrieve those SMS messages you'd have to restore your entire phone environment, which is a pain in the ass.

For backup and cataloging of SMS so you can review them at any time, there are plenty of apps that can accomplish that. SMS Backup, for instance, can back up your SMS to your Gmail account.